2003 Hyundai Sonata V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a 2003 Hyundai Sonata V6 with 177459 miles. I have always used 10W30 dyno oil but last change was with 10W40 (mistake purchasing it). Car runs great and uses about 0.5 quarts per 3,000 miles. Most oil changes were performed between 4,000 - 7,500 miles. Almost all of the miles are hwy. During the first few years there were months where I would drive 3,000 - 4,000 miles per month with one month totaling 4,913 miles

Last two oil changes were done at 9,001 & 8,509 so I thought about changing it at 3,000 miles. It needs 0.5 quarts now. Any benefits from an early change since the previous two were so long??

Thanks,
Rod

It is possible it could need some cleaning but you can run the oil longer than 3k. Just change it at 5k. It isn't going to be sludged up from those two runs, but feel free to do what makes you sleep better at night. If you have used good quality conventional, and mostly HW driving it should be clean as a whistle.

great car. i just gave my son my 2003 sonata with the 2.7 v6 did not use any oil going 4000 miles using mobil 1 5/30 never used any oil and never gave me any trouble.

Hi Rodraid

I currently drive a 2009 Tucson (purchased new) with 39000 km.
Warranty requires a 6000km OCI. I personally wouldn't go longer
than that. Up here in Canada, the Tucson runs on 5w30 or 5w20
year round. 5000-6000km OCI with these motors will keep away
the sludge demons.
I purchased a 2000 Dodge Ram Van (ex Bell van) in March. Poor
maitenance (air filter,pcv,crankcase breather,dirty oil) has
me dealing with sludge issues.
Extending OCI is not worth it. The minimal money you save is
not worth it in the long run.

LarryO

2009 Hyundai Tucson GL V6
2000 Dodge Ram Van 1500 V6

Originally Posted By: Larry2000
Hi Rodraid
has me dealing with sludge issues.
Extending OCI is not worth it. The minimal money you save is
not worth it in the long run.
LarryO

What are sludge issues? How do you know if sludge has built up in the motor without partially taking it apart.

Sorry for my ignorance but there are really only two things I can do with a car and that is put gas in and change the oil. Oh the air filter so three.

Thanks,

Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back