Do you want tread down the center?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Firehawk GT has no tread down the very middle of the tread. THe Primewell Valera does not.
firehawkgt.jpg

There was a series of tires with a large center groove whose purpose was to channel water through the center of the tread where the water would pile up in front of the tire. The pattern was based on a twin tire concept that had some remarkable performance. Goodyear produced one (and you could say started it, but that is debateable) with one called Hydro (or somethuing like that). Goodyear was not the only one who had this, but they were the most prominent.

So I don't think the absence of a center rib is worth worrying about.

Goodyear's original design that I think Capri is talking about is the Aquatread.

You can see on this page that the Aquatread II had no center rib, but the Aquatread III did. Maybe they decided that a center groove was worth having, I don't know. Maybe it's significant that Goodyear's current premium all-season tire, the TripleTred (and now the new TripleTred All-Season), and Michelin's current premium all-season tire, the HydroEdge both have center ribs.

Then again, maybe not. Many tires that are normally 5-rib designs go down to being 4-rib designs (with a center channel instead of a center rib) with narrower tire sizes. Often narrower than 195mm or 205mm section widths.

"They" say that a center rib helps with directional stability. The Cooper CS4 Touring in H- and above speed ratings has a center rib. That same tire in T- and below has a different tread pattern, without a center rib.

I currently have Firestone Firehawk GT-H tires, the ones shown. They are excellent tires, center tread block or not. Excellent stability and no tram-railing. I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Goodyear's original design that I think Capri is talking about is the Aquatread.........

Thank you. I racked my brain trying to remember the name.

Just an observation: Goodyear does a remarkable job with advertising and marketing. Every year about the time of the Daytona 500, they have a new tire to promote. It always has something unique that they tout - and usually it's all [censored]!

There are so many tires that do NOT have center ribs that I don't think it is important - for directional stability or anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back