synthetic oil in 90,000mi honda v6 odyssey?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2007 honda odysssey has always had 5w-20 weight conventional oil used in it. i hear about the positives of synthetic oil and wanted to get some advice as to using it for the first time in a motor with 90,000 miles on it.. could this be bad for a high milage engine?

You can switch from conventional to synthetic and back to conventional anytime you want without any problems. If you switch to synthetic try to find 0W20 if it is available in your area and it doesn't cost more than 5W20.

Quote:
i hear about the positives of synthetic oil
Which of these positives make syn oil worth the extra cost to you? Better frigid temperature performance? Better very-hot performance? Longer oil life? If you stick with ordinary oil drain intervals and don't have temperature extremes, there is little advantage to be gained over modern conventional oil. (I run syn oil in my turbo car with 10k oil drain intervals and in my motorcycle, and premium syn blend in my truck with 10k ODI. 200,000 miles on the turbo car, 115k on the truck, all running great.)

You can definitely use it without issues. My 2007 Accord V6 has 81k, with a steady diet of 5w20. Zero consumption. The Honda V6's are harder on oil than the 4cyl's from what I read. Peace of mind means a bunch. And having said that, the SM/SN conventionals are really, really good.

Personal Opinion Dept: it seems to run a bit quieter and smoother on Pennzoil Ultra or Platinum. As I am sure you know, butt dynos don't lie
wink.gif

im interested in the possibility of better fuel economey and less frequent oil changes.. my wife drives it to work and back (which is less than a mile away from our house), kids out of town sporting events (school related) ..weather here in southern illinois is a little bit of hot and HUMID in summer .. winter is mild but temps will dip into single digits occasionaly

I use synthetic in my Oddy and have no problems with it. I would say that when my current stash ( 3 OCI's) of Mobil 1 AFE 0w20 is gone, I will not be using that any more. I HATE the way it makes the engine sound! It is so loud I think it is going to blow up! It will be getting Castrol Edge w/ Titanium 0w20 SM after the Mobil 1 is gone. I may buy some Pennzoil Ultra 0w20 when my current stash is gone! (It will be out then, I am sure.)

Our 2004 Odyssey has had almost all M-1 5w-30 since after break in. It is around 90,000 miles now. I did use M-1 5w-20 for one cycle back in 2007. I took the car on a trip to Death Valley, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon and around the end of that April. That is the only time the car ever used oil. So after that I went back to 5w-30, but still only synthetic.

Try a shot of injector cleaner in the gas tank every oil change. One time after I added that my wife asked if I did something to her car. There are not enough detergents even in the best gasolines.

If your engine is still in good shape synthetic would be a fine choice for you. The M1 0-20 is fine for both of my Duratechs. Unlike Cooper, both engines are quite, very clean, have no oil consumption after 10K OCI, and the oil appears to have held up well even after the very hot summer we had this year.

Im currently using Mobil One 5W20 EP in our CRV. Is ok but have a slight valve train noise. Im debating if I should try Amsoil next. The price is about the same.

Originally Posted By: wiggy
2007 honda odysssey has always had 5w-20 weight conventional oil used in it. i hear about the positives of synthetic oil and wanted to get some advice as to using it for the first time in a motor with 90,000 miles on it.. could this be bad for a high milage engine?

Have you always be using the full Oil Life Monitor(OLM) aka Maintenance Monitor? I mean going until 5%? If so how does it look in the filler hole with a flashlight?

this may be a stupid question but will a slight noise cause engine damage over long term use or is it nothing to be worried about? i ve read some posts of 0w-20 being used in oddy's with what would be considered louder noise than what you've described in engine.
dont know much about oil except what ive recently read, amsoil seems to be near the top of every list.
if i used a 5w-30 syn maybe it wouldn't make much noise?

any advice is appreciated : )

ive been know to let it go over on the oil minder by a several hundred miles : ( but do reset it with each oil change. another stupid question: what signs do i need to look for with flashlight?

Originally Posted By: wiggy
ive been know to let it go over on the oil minder by a several hundred miles : ( but do reset it with each oil change. another stupid question: what signs do i need to look for with flashlight?

Thickish oil residue, but still liquid. Gelled oil. Or harder dry crusties. All not so good, but typical with this engine and conventional oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back