Nu-Finish-always impressed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I just thought i would share my experience with Nu-Finish..I used to use it on my previous car with good results. With my Camaro i tried some expensive [censored] that i bought at the harley dealer..white diamond paint protectant. The shine was amazing but after about 3 or 4 washes the water wasnt beading. I work at a BMW dealer, i tried this BMW wax...it cost $60 bucks, i got a discount on it so i figured i would try it. It was absolutely the most difficult wax i have ever tried to use. Not only was it almost impossible to get off, but it smelled like a combination of sulfur and hot poop. Im not kidding. I gagged and cussed the whole time i was using it. I was hoping it would actually last a decent amount of time. I was wrong. A month after applying it the water was not beading on the hood of my car anymore. So i gave up on all these over priced waxes. I went to walmart and bought a trusty bottle of nu-finish. My car looks just as good as the other two waxes if not better..i will be applying another coat next weekend. If it lasts as long as it did on my other car i will not need to apply another coat for aleast 6 months. I cant believe how shiny my car looks with this stuff..especially considering that i bought a huge bottle for 8 bucks at walmart. I highly recommend it, save your money on these waxes that make crazy claims and cost 5 times as much.

Most waxes only last 1-2 months, with the exception of Collinite. Any sealant, including NuFinish, will outlast most waxes. The reason people like waxes is because of the warm glow vs the plasticky look that sealants give. Funny you should mention the awful smell of that wax because NuFinish is no perfume either. NuFinish also stains trim which is why I dont use it. I like to use the Duragloss (sealant) followed by Collinite (wax). I detail my cars every 6 months but that combo will last that long.

For someone like myself who rarely details the exterior of my vehicles, I find NuFinish to be excellent. I've used it for 20+ years. It goes on and comes off real easy and the 'smoothness' of the finish lasts a long time afterwards.

Yes, if you get it on any porous black plastic surface, it's going to take some elbow grease w/ silicone spray or mineral spirits to get it off.

Joel

Last edited:
NuFinish has also been my go-to for many years. I always have water beading even after six months of winter/spring weather here in central PA. Good product at a good price.

Nu Finish was rated #2 out of 12 liquid waxes reviewed in the latest (i.e. November 2011) Consumer Reports.

In the liquid wax category...

1) Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0
2) Nu Finish
3) Meguiar's Gold Class Carnauba Plus Premium Liquid Wax
4) 3M One Step Cleaner Wax
5) Meguiar's Cleaner Wax
6) Mothers California Gold Carnauba Cleaner Wax
7) Auto Glym Super Resin Polish
8) Mothers FX Engineered SynWax
9) Zymol Cleaner Wax
10) Turtle Wax Carnauba Cleaner Wax
11) Eagle One Gel Wax with Carnauba
12) Turtle Wax Ice Synthetic Polish

#'s 1, 3, 4, and 7 were Recommended. #'s 2, 5, and 6 were Best Buys.

When it came to the Durability criteria, only one was considered Very Good... Nu Finish.

I will agree that nu finish is definitely no perfume..but I'm telling you that BMW wax honestly smells like poop. I'm not exaggerating. It was terrible..the guys I work with 5 bays down were asking what that god awful smell was. Nu finish is not that bad.

Also, recall that Consumer Reports basically just tested waxes and sealants available at Wal-mart, AKA, waxes and sealants that essentially are never mentioned in detailing forums. CR recommended detailing cars every 3 months because even NuFinish lasted just "several months." It's too bad they didn't test the sealants and waxes that are all the rave at these detailing forums.

Isn't there a type of NuFinish that doesn't stain vinyl or plastic trim? I thought Consumer Reports evaluated it?

Have people tried it? Comments. My Jeep is nothing but grey/black vinyl and plastic on a little bit of white paint.

Hello, Glad you're happy with it Travis. I always thought of waxes as toothpaste-it didn't really matter what brand you bought just as long as you washed your car and put something on it (compare to: just as long as you brush your teeth etc.). I'm answering because I used it on my mother's 1991 Ford Taurus. The car had a putty colored (titanium was actual name) non-metallic finish. Don't ask me from where that orange bottle appeared. It was in the garage and I just used the stuff. I used to daub 3 layers of it on the lower panels of the car before going through cow country. The dried manure would then be easier to remove. Try removing sun baked manure from an unwaxed car. Nearly impossible. Kira

I'm more curious how the formula has changed over the years, if at all. I will say that for a cheap and readily-available wax, it does what it promises.

If you're purchasing at Wal-mart and really want longevity anda great price---NuFinish is the best choice. I really dislike the fact that it stains trim, like the majority of cleaner waxes and cleaner sealants.

I'm a long term user of NuFinish too. Yes, in my single days, when I had the time, I used Meguirs Gold and yes, it does produce a fine shine, but married, with kids, I don't have the time to detail my vehicles like I use too. So I use Nu Finish and I have always loved the shine. The last 2 days, I washed and waxed the civic and elantra. I guess I should wash and wax the silverado today, but it will have to wait.

I have switched to Collinite and I am very happy with the product. Nu-Finish is a great product though and I find it to be more durable than any of the store brands (meg's, Turtle, Mothers, B-Magic) I like Eagle One spray wax for quick jobs.

Nu-Finish works. All haters can hate but I have seen too many 7-10 y/o vehicles in my family that are still very nice even in spite of the tough Florida sunshine. There are many cars here with oxidized paint on the hoods and roofs too.

I've used NuFinish for 25+? years and have yet to find a protectat that has its balance of, protection, ease of use, long life and price. Just an excellent all a round product.

Originally Posted By: Travis99LS1
I will have to give this collonite a try you guys seem to speak highly of it.

You really should try out some Collinite waxes, they are excellent. I haven't use Nu Finish in as long as I can remember since I have no need for that stuff (even though I have an old bottle on the shelf), so I can't really attest to the durability of it compared to collinite, but I know collinite lasts, is super durable and looks excellent.

NuFinish gets bad mouthed on here and other forums a lot but I bet most of those folks never tried it. It truly is one of the very best wax/sealents on the market. NOTHING will last as long. It may not shine the best but if you want pure protection and for a long time NuFinish is your best opetion. Here is a few cars with a fresh coat of NuFinish:
100_0267.jpg

100_0258.jpg

100_0254.jpg

100_1962.jpg

100_1966.jpg

100_1969.jpg

100_2048.jpg

100_2328.jpg

100_2361.jpg

100_3011.jpg

100_3013.jpg

And after 9 months it is still beading water really well: