Castrol Power 10w50

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2011 Triumph Tbird 1600 and the owners manual specs Castrol Power 10w40 or 10w50. The dealer mechanic recommends and uses the 10w50 exclusively but Advance Auto carries the 10w40. I would like to buy the oil at AAP for $9 and avoid the $15 dealer cost if possible.

Does anyone know if there is much difference with the two? The engine is stock and doesn't get run hard at all.

Last edited:
friends dont let friends use castrol.
(with the sole exception of 0w30 - the GC goodness).

go into wally world and get a white gallon jug of Shell Rotella T 15w40 for 9bucks and save the money for dinner. your motor wont know the difference.

steve

You haven't been to Wally world in a while(like myself), because I just came from there and it was over $13. Still cheaper than the Castrol.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jjones
You haven't been to Wally world in a while(like myself), because I just came from there and it was over $13.

Haha... I was about to mention the same thing.
smile.gif

Doog, how is the oil cooled in this liquid cooled engine?

If the oil has an air cooler, I'd use the xW-50 in the heat of summer if you have such heat (uncomfortable humidity doesn't count for machinery) and the xW-40 the rest of the year. If the oil cooler is cooled by the coolant, I'd use the xW-40 all year.

There are a lot of oils that will work well. Shell's Rotella synthetic 5W-40 is excellent in cool as well as hot weather. Many motorcycle oils will do a fine job--you don't need a full syn for your riding unless there is a specific reason. What does your owner's manual say? How many miles for the oil change? If you're buying this expensive oil for a once-a-year oil change, then it doesn't really cost that much overall.

Originally Posted By: Jjones
You haven't been to Wally world in a while(like myself), because I just came from there and it was over $13. Still cheaper than the Castrol.

You've got it good.....the 4L jug is 24.99 in Canada (at least at Canadian Tire.....haven't checked Wally World).

The only 10w50 that castrol sells in 10w50 would be castrol R4, they may have changed the name(maybe POWER), but it should cost atleast $10 cause its pure PAO oil.

If going to run Castrol you want the Real stuff, not there Group 2 waxy stuff Dino oil.

But I checked and the (Power) is the new name of the R4, so the 10w50 would be my choice, longevity wise.

any of the higher end synthetics would work though, for your warranty

So, Mobil 1 15W-50 would be out of the question?

Just asking.

The Harley guys are using that Valvoline VR1 Racing (conventional) 20W-50 and the UOA's look good, indeed.

Last edited:
We need to consider how hot the oil gets and also the hottest part of the engine that is oiled, not only the average high temperature of the oil. The air cooled engine will likely live longer with a 50 wt oil, except maybe during very cool periods. The water cooled engine may do better with a 40 wt if the oil cooler is adequate.

Well I will tell you that the owners manual calls for the oil to be a syn blend or full synthetic 10w40 or 10w50. I have a 2011 Speedmaster and that is what mine says.

Your T bird is liquid cooled so I imagine that you could do just fine with any synthetic 10w40 motorcycle oil. Id run the Mobil 1 10w40 moto oil and call it good. When you are out of warranty you could switch to 20w50.

Im running Valvoline 4t synthetic in my Speedmaster. 3 quarts of 10w40 and one of 20w50 to thicken it up a bit to a heavy 40 weight.

Last edited:
The Euro Grade of 15w50 Motorcycle mobil1 that Triumph sells is very similar to the old 15w50 mobil1 car oil.

The U.s. grades of 10w40 and 20w50 motorcycle mobil1 are much stronger base oils, The flash points are way higher.

Originally Posted By: kballowe
So, Mobil 1 15W-50 would be out of the question?

Just asking.

The Harley guys are using that Valvoline VR1 Racing (conventional) 20W-50 and the UOA's look good, indeed.

Originally Posted By: sunruh

go into wally world and get a white gallon jug of Shell Rotella T 15w40 for 9bucks and save the money for dinner. your motor wont know the difference.

steve

Aaaaannnd what's wrong with Castrol motorcycle oil? *points to signature*

The dino castrol moto oil is just terrible. Their Synthetic and blend oils are much better, albeit usually overpriced a bit. Yeah an oil change for my speedmaster with just oil and a filter was 70 bucks.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Originally Posted By: sunruh

steve

Aaaaannnd what's wrong with Castrol motorcycle oil? *points to signature*

shears 2 grades faster than you can say "oh crud"

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Doog, how is the oil cooled in this liquid cooled engine?

If the oil has an air cooler, I'd use the xW-50 in the heat of summer if you have such heat (uncomfortable humidity doesn't count for machinery) and the xW-40 the rest of the year. If the oil cooler is cooled by the coolant, I'd use the xW-40 all year.

There are a lot of oils that will work well. Shell's Rotella synthetic 5W-40 is excellent in cool as well as hot weather. Many motorcycle oils will do a fine job--you don't need a full syn for your riding unless there is a specific reason. What does your owner's manual say? How many miles for the oil change? If you're buying this expensive oil for a once-a-year oil change, then it doesn't really cost that much overall.

The owners manual says 10w40 or 10w50 Jaso MA

Originally Posted By: Mackelroy
The only 10w50 that castrol sells in 10w50 would be castrol R4, they may have changed the name(maybe POWER), but it should cost atleast $10 cause its pure PAO oil.

If going to run Castrol you want the Real stuff, not there Group 2 waxy stuff Dino oil.

But I checked and the (Power) is the new name of the R4, so the 10w50 would be my choice, longevity wise. The castrol oil is :Castrol Power RS Racing 4T Engine Oil

any of the higher end synthetics would work though, for your warranty

That is what the dealer told me. The service interval is 6000 miles so I can run one change each year if I use the 10w50 and it is the R4. But a lot of guys run the Mobil1 10w40 motorcycle oil.

Last edited:
Run the Mobil moto 10-40 and see if it likes it. My 11 Speedmaster likes the Valvoline 4 stroke synthetic. Runs quieter and smoother than on the Castrol 10w50 it came from the factory with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back