Bathurst 1000 on Speed!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
NASCAR is finally getting one foot out of the automotive stone age next year with EFI. Don't ask when they'll allow IRS or transmissions with more than 4 gears.

Let alone short throw, sequential gearboxes, no matter the number of gears.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: rpn453
Originally Posted By: dailydriver
I wonder how these cars would compare, lap time to lap time, with the same driver, on the same circuit, with the DTM machines??
21.gif

(Yes, I know that there are MANY differences; displacement, allowed technologies, etc.)

Gran Turismo 5 seems to indicate that the V8 Supercars are a bit quicker; about 2 seconds per lap at Laguna Seca, and 2.5 at Suzuka. The cars are older and of different model years, but it doesn't look like much has changed in either series since then. I also ran some laps with a 2010 Sprint Cup car. It ran similar lap times to the V8 Supercar at Laguna, and was about a second a lap faster at Suzuka. It's unlikely you'll ever see them all on the same track on the same day with the same tires, so this is about as good of an estimate as you'll get! It really is a good simulator. The driving physics are all there. Here's the relevant info and my best lap in a five lap trial:

2004 Audi A4 Red Bull DTM
This car had multiple wins in the 2004 and 2005 season.
475hp@7500, 386lb-ft@5000, 1080kg, 4.0L V8, 55F/45R
Laguna Seca - 1:27.4
Suzuka - 2:04.4

2000 Ford Falcon XR8 V8 Supercar
This car scored one win in 2000 and claimed pole position at the 2000 Bathurst 1000.
626hp@7500, 480lb-ft@5500, 1350kg, 5.0L V8, 57F/43R
Laguna Seca - 1:25.4
Suzuka - 2:01.9

2010 Chevrolet Impala DuPont Sprint Cup Nascar
Jeff Gordon's car.
871hp@9000, 552lb-ft@7000, 1565kg, 5.9L V8, 55F/45R
Laguna Seca - 1:25.5
Suzuka - 2:00.9

Hard compound racing slicks were used for all.

THANKS!!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Do you ever think that the rule makers will allow at least Detroit Lockers, if not Torsen type, or high tech clutch pack type limited slips??

Since they worked out how to run massive negative camber on a solid rear end, not sure that they will want any sort of differential out back.

OK, so that's how they do it without having to 'drift' through every corner due to the spool. Got it!
thumbsup2.gif

Most everyone uses harrop rear uprights which use a CV on the live axle so they can dial in as much camber as needed, and actually set the cars up to unload the inside rear to offset some of the effect of the spool.

The new cars that will have IRS are going to use an Albins transaxle, again with a spool.

Why do the rulemakers insist on spools??!

Is it; cost containment, durability, keeping cornering speeds down, technical parity, good old fashioned stubbornness, what?
confused2.gif

Wouldn't these things be quicker yet (especially the new IRS cars) with some sort of racing limited slip/torque biasing unit??

Is it; cost containment, durability, keeping cornering speeds down, technical parity, good old fashioned stubbornness, what?
confused2.gif

Wouldn't these things be quicker yet (especially the new IRS cars) with some sort of racing limited slip/torque biasing unit??

It's probably not hurting them too badly. With such a forward bias on the weight distribution, it would be hard to tune the understeer completely out, and the locked spool would help the back end come around both under power and under braking.

In GT5, even with the rear end locked up, I still need a lot of toe-out on the back and no camber if I want that Falcon to be neutral. Not great for high speed stability though, so I just keep them at 0 degrees and trail brake a little extra.

confused2.gif

Cost containment.

They don't really want cornering speeds any higher which is partly why they use spec rubber these days too.

Took the family shopping and for lunch today...some pics.

cc6f0dd3.jpg

Lucky the Navara has decent articulation

e282745e.jpg

It',s unfortunately a 60km/hr zone when in Clark Kent guise.
7df1cfed.jpg

45km/hr into the chase easily achievable in my SUV.

b4e724d5.jpg

People live, literally on the side of the track.
c5552886.jpg

Shannow;

I would get into some REAL serious trouble, VERY quickly, in that scenario (from Johnny Law, if not from my own lack of skill/grip)!!!
crazy2.gif

The temptation is just TOO MUCH to overcome.
wink.gif

Nobody I know who spent their early driving years in the district hasn't run the gauntlet on one of the most highly Policed roads in the district.

We've got some nice roads here... google Luge at Lithgow on youtube. I won't link it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back