Borla or Magnaflow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Gibson is good as well.

I don't think Gibson makes a cat-back for an M5.

Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: dailydriver

It wasn't a 'Loud Mouth' was it?? (Were they even out back when you owned the LT1 Formy?)

I owned that LT1 Formula after my 98, so it was from 2001 to 2004 that I had it, and I think the Loudmouth was out, but the one I had was the 2OTL system.

Really?? I've had the 2OTL system on my car for the past 12 years and I've NEVER noticed ANY drone at ANY speed/rev range. Did you have long tubes on it, or no cats?

The only thing I have noticed as the muffler packing has worn is a 'revisionary' type of pop/loud burble on sudden accelerator back off after WOT in a lower gear.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Gibson is good as well.

I don't think Gibson makes a cat-back for an M5.

Even if they did, it is also only 409 stainless, as is SuperSprint, and Remus as well, I believe.

VERY FEW use 304 eclusively throughout the WHOLE system; Borla, Corsa, Billy Boat, and maybe a few others.
frown.gif

^^^Do they ALL open track/HPDE/Time Attack their Ms???

It is such a luxury/performance car, I too would not want that sort of harsh/raspy noise output (and drone) from it!!
31.gif

^^^Do they ALL open track/HPDE/Time Attack their Ms???

It is such a luxury/performance car, I too would not want that sort of harsh/raspy noise output (and drone) from it!!
31.gif

Well, I have one guy saying he got Borla and that it is quiet, but the quality is superb. Then the next guy saying NEITHER!! GET STRAIGHT PIPES! LOL!

\

Really?? I've had the 2OTL system on my car for the past 12 years and I've NEVER noticed ANY drone at ANY speed/rev range. Did you have long tubes on it, or no cats?

Nope, everything was stock, but that car was automatic with the 3.23 gears, so I'd be revving a lot higher on the highway than your car with the 6 speed.

Magnaflow does not make ANY full systems completely out of 304 austenitic stainless steel (they are MOSTLY 409 stainless).

Yeah, my buddy's stainless Magnaflow turbo-back exhaust that was on the Dodge 2500 Cummins he bought used has a fair bit of visible rust on the muffler. It was loud and drony, and didn't sound very good. He cut it out and installed a Donaldson truck/tractor muffler that sounds way better and is also more pleasant on the highway. It's 5" ID like the rest of the exhaust so it likely improved flow as well. We were surprised to find that the Magnaflow actually had a 4" ID through the muffler only.

Based on this experience, I'd go with something other than Magnaflow.

Originally Posted By: Patman
\

Nope, everything was stock, but that car was automatic with the 3.23 gears, so I'd be revving a lot higher on the highway than your car with the 6 speed.

Gotcha.
thumbsup2.gif

Reviving this, another option has come up:

Corsa.

14931a.jpg

Seems well regarded on the M5 board.

Less expensive than Borla.

I think it sounds freakin' awesome!!!

That's the closest I've ever heard a BMW sounding like a Mustang.

I love Borla, but that Corsa system totally gets my vote now!!

Love it!

Corsa is unique in my experience in that there is very little noise in the cabin, and the exhaust is nearly stock sounding at smaller throttle openings.

But when you punch it it SCREAMS! So will your wallet.

Sorry, but IMO it's ridiculous to take a high end car like that sweet M5 and make it LOUD. The power gained from an exhaust is very small, and it typically moves the torque up higher in the rev range.

But it is your car and I respect your right to mod it any way you want.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Corsa is unique in my experience in that there is very little noise in the cabin, and the exhaust is nearly stock sounding at smaller throttle openings.

But when you punch it it SCREAMS! So will your wallet.

Sorry, but IMO it's ridiculous to take a high end car like that sweet M5 and make it LOUD. The power gained from an exhaust is very small, and it typically moves the torque up higher in the rev range.

But it is your car and I respect your right to mod it any way you want.

But you just said it is only loud when you are on it!

grin.gif

I like louder exhaust. Not obscene, but loud enough. Just my "thing". Call it a carry-over from being a Mustang guy
wink.gif

It's not a problem. I may have more than one vehicle that could qualify as loud.

As I said, it's your car. You own it, and thus you get to do whatever you want to it.

At least Corsa is one of the best out there.

For most of the other cars I've ever dealt with the Corsa systems (along with the Billy Boat, and Bassani stuff) are way more coin than the Borla stuff.
21.gif

But, they are also VERY WELL crafted, fully 304 systems which sound GREAT!!
thumbsup2.gif

For some reason though, they have a rep for being one of the heaviest systems out there (if that means anything to you), at least in C5/C6 Vette circles.

Maybe they use a thicker walled 304 than everyone else, or their tips are a MUCH heavier gauge??
confused2.gif

For most of the other cars I've ever dealt with the Corsa systems (along with the Billy Boat, and Bassani stuff) are way more coin than the Borla stuff.
21.gif

But, they are also VERY WELL crafted, fully 304 systems which sound GREAT!!
thumbsup2.gif

For some reason though, they have a rep for being one of the heaviest systems out there (if that means anything to you), at least in C5/C6 Vette circles.

Maybe they use a thicker walled 304 than everyone else, or their tips are a MUCH heavier gauge??
confused2.gif

This system is something like 15lbs lighter than the stocker
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back