Super Tech Oil From Wal Mart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 4x4chevydude
Definitely high quality oil or it wouldnt have the starburst symbol and be certified oil
Nah. The symbol and certification only means that they use raw materials on the approved list and that they pay for the certification. It does not mean that any or all of their products are tested by anyone except perhaps by themselves. Meeting the minimum spec, if in fact every bottle from every spec does meet the minimum, does not guarantee "definite high quality."

ST is fine oil. I love all the haters that want to spend more of their money on advertising/marketing and big business...

I didnt mean that the symbol meant it was defintely high quality, my punctuation was bad what I meant was that it has the starburst symbol so it meets specs and apart from that it is a high quality oil based on UOA's ive seen and personal use of it...sorry i try to be brief but should explain myself better sometimes.

I dont buy that the oil is tested by themselves and half way approved as someone above stated. I know that for a oil to be safe to use it has to be approved or it shouldnt and probably wouldnt be on the shelf. Also if Mobil, Sopus and others make or made the ST oil, then it would in all honesty be good oil. I know a few people that use the diesel oil without any problems. I used the ST oil back in the early 2000's when it was Mobil here in the PA area. I wouldnt hesitate to use it at all.

Originally Posted By: Gene K
The standard PCMO conventional is made by two different companies.

Exxon-Mobil. The bottles will be recognizable because the shape is the same as the Mobil bottles.

Warren Distribution (Warren Oil of Omaha Nebraska) not the Warren that makes Coastal. The containers will have a WPP or WNE embossed on the bottom for Warren Performance Packaging or Warren Northeast (They have a second facility their) or Warren of Nebraska. Im not 100% but my guess is it actually signifies the Northeast facility.

The WPP supplied Supertech is also carried under the WPP brand name name "Mag1" in some retailers. Here is a link to their site, which is run by WPP. They have excellent data sheets:

http://mag1.com/

Be warned, the site opens with a loud intro, so use caution if opening this at work:)

If it is an angular and "wide-mouth" jug or quart, it is XOM. If not, WPP.

WPP is more curved container. XOM one has lines on it, appearing to be for grip, and a huge cap/mouth.

WPP bottle:
0068113142360_100X100.jpg

XOM bottle, quart:
tn_GM-Chevrolet-Malibu-3500-V6-Engine-Oil-Change-Guide-004.jpg

XOM is more angular, sort of "in your face"-looking bottle. XOM is better.

Bought XOM ST 5W-20 today, topped off a quart with it. $11.84. 5 quarts.

Originally Posted By: 45ACP
If it is an angular and "wide-mouth" jug or quart, it is XOM. If not, WPP.

WPP is more curved container. XOM one has lines on it, appearing to be for grip, and a huge cap/mouth.

WPP bottle:
0068113142360_100X100.jpg

XOM bottle, quart:
tn_GM-Chevrolet-Malibu-3500-V6-Engine-Oil-Change-Guide-004.jpg

XOM is more angular, sort of "in your face"-looking bottle. XOM is better.

Bought XOM ST 5W-20 today, topped off a quart with it. $11.84. 5 quarts.

Those are both WPP/WNE.

mobstek.jpg

and

0007874201580_500X500.jpg

are the XOM bottles

There are better oils available in drums for the same or less money, if you have a shop.
For the personal user, name brand syns can almost always be found for less money after MIR.
ST appeals mainly to those buyers who don't plan enough in advance to have a name brand oil bought at a deal on hand for a change, as well as to those who really think that ST is equal to PYB, QAD or VWB.
ST syn is marketed to those who think it's the equivalent of M1 or PP at a lower price, never mind that either the SOPUS or the XOM oil is cheaper on promotion or with MIR.
I've bought some ST in the past.
I wouldn't bother again.
Still, there are some good UOAs posted on here using ST.

Originally Posted By: ledslinger
"Warren makes good products. Their Synthetic 5W30 was on the Corvette Approval List (pre-Dexos 1) and the HDEO 15W40 is on the Detroit Diesel / Mercedes-Benz Extended Drain List."

Gene K- I did a google search and found the DD/MB list, and it appears only the Wal Mart Canada Super Tech 15W40 is on the list.

PGOS 93K218 Approved Oils

http://extranet.detroitdiesel.com:80/support/on-highway/manuals/lubricants_fuels_coolants/power_guard_oils/index_93k218.asp

Mag 1 and Warren Supertech are the same oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hominid7
The WPP supplied Supertech is also carried under the WPP brand name name "Mag1" in some retailers. Here is a link to their site, which is run by WPP. They have excellent data sheets:

http://mag1.com/

Be warned, the site opens with a loud intro, so use caution if opening this at work:)

Boy, you're not kidding. HTHS viscosity at both 100*C and 150*C, and a host of chemical composition data. I wish every oil company had such detailed data sheets. BP/Castrol - Are you listening?

Thanks for the link!

So is Peak motor oil sold by Old World Industries.

Originally Posted By: Gene K
Originally Posted By: ledslinger
"Warren makes good products. Their Synthetic 5W30 was on the Corvette Approval List (pre-Dexos 1) and the HDEO 15W40 is on the Detroit Diesel / Mercedes-Benz Extended Drain List."

Gene K- I did a google search and found the DD/MB list, and it appears only the Wal Mart Canada Super Tech 15W40 is on the list.

PGOS 93K218 Approved Oils

http://extranet.detroitdiesel.com:80/support/on-highway/manuals/lubricants_fuels_coolants/power_guard_oils/index_93k218.asp

Mag 1 and Warren Supertech are the same oil.

I dont think that comparing bulk drum oil to Seupertech is very accurate. Supertech has a low price because there is no marketing and advertising costs and they have a plain jane bottle without fancing pics and labels. They sell it for less becuase it costs less to make it due to no advertising costs. If you want to pay more money for the same product thats fine but theres nothing wrong with Supertech oil.

Originally Posted By: 4x4chevydude
I dont think that comparing bulk drum oil to Seupertech is very accurate. Supertech has a low price because there is no marketing and advertising costs and they have a plain jane bottle without fancing pics and labels. They sell it for less becuase it costs less to make it due to no advertising costs. If you want to pay more money for the same product thats fine but theres nothing wrong with Supertech oil.

+1

I think XOM ST is better than WPP ST but i have no real proof of this.

Also i know from personal experience that XOM tends to be on the thin side of oils. This is usually a good thing (thin for its grade.)

Hey 45acp,

How could you tell which oil is bottled by EOM and which is bottled by WPP?

All I've ever seen is the bottles and Jugs with WPP or WNE on the bottom of the container. So how do you know for sure?

"I think XOM ST is better than WPP ST but i have no real proof of this.

Also i know from personal experience that XOM tends to be on the thin side of oils. This is usually a good thing (thin for its grade.)"[/i]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back