Mud tire vs Agressive AT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone run Nitto Trail Grappler MT's on their truck? Trying to decide between them and Cooper's AT3's. 3/4 ton 4X4 on 2 lane roads, dirt roads, and off road.

I have not run those tires but if you plan to do any off-roading I would go with a Mud Terrain tire. I ran both BFG MT's and Kuhmo MT's on my jeep and got well over 45k out of each tire. I had them both siped and they would great in the rain and snow as well.

what about the cooper stt? or cooper st maxx? the thing with the nittos is if you damage one it may be tough to find a replacement.

Last edited:
+1 for The BFG MTs. The AT KO is also worth a look. They cost a bit more but seem to always wear longer than most other AT or mud tires.

IMO the bfg AT KO are terrible in the winter as are mud tires
on ice. both are great for deep snow offroad though.

Every tire is poor on ice unless your chain up or have spikes.

Personally I chose the third option, stay home and drink until it thaws.

But if you have to get somewhere and its [censored] out, nothing beats chains.

Last edited:
I've had aggressive AT's and liked them. They were great everywhere except mud. Leaning toward the Nitto's but don't want to be skating around come snow time. AT3's are suppose to be pretty decent in mud for an AT. Where/how would I get a set of Mud tires siped? Cost?

Originally Posted By: Rand
IMO the bfg AT KO are terrible in the winter as are mud tires
on ice. both are great for deep snow offroad though.

I drove on MT's in Chicago Winters for 10 years and never had an issue. If you have a sheet of ice on the road, there isn't a tire made that would be very good.

I was not recommending a tire, I think you should pick what tire you want but I do think an MT tire is worth it if you are going to do any serious off-roading.

Last edited:
Quote:
Every tire is poor on ice unless your chain up or have spikes
I've had excellent results with some of the modern studless winter tires. They've kept the vehicle under control on icy roads to slick to walk on. That said, on ice I'd prefer studs.

Back to RR--do you need the deep mud traction? If you know that you need it, then your decision made, just which mud tire to get. If you don't need the deep mud traction, then an AT tire will give longer life, better gas mileage, smoother quieter ride.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Quote:
Every tire is poor on ice unless your chain up or have spikes
I've had excellent results with some of the modern studless winter tires. They've kept the vehicle under control on icy roads to slick to walk on. That said, on ice I'd prefer studs.

Back to RR--do you need the deep mud traction? If you know that you need it, then your decision made, just which mud tire to get. If you don't need the deep mud traction, then an AT tire will give longer life, better gas mileage, smoother quieter ride.

That's the dilema, I like everything about an AT except they suffer in mud. I don't drive in mud everyday but when I do the AT's don't cut it. I have no fear of getting buried and stranded on the hard roads like I do in fields and woods. Most of the time I am by myself out in BFE with no cell service. Maybe I need to hear from someone who has tried Cooper AT3's in the mud....anyone? You may be right, getting the mud tires may be the way to go. As far as what mud tire to get, it will be the Nitto Trail Grappler MT's. The Summer issue of "4X4 Garage" magazine had a good write up on mud tires. NTG MT's placed 4th, worked great on road, where uni directional for easy rotation and are priced much cheaper than the top 3.

Last edited:
ridgerunner - I have the same issue as you do...most a/t's don't cut it in the mud and I didn't want a full blown m/t tire.

I opted for a set of Goodyear Duratrac tires and couldn't be happier....they excel in everything thus far. Have no idea what they're classified as, but they're a very smooth highway tire as well.

I have GoodYear Wrangler AT/S on my CJ7 right now and I have had all kinds of tires and these are the best I've had yet. Mud performance is excellent for an AT tire, quiet, tough tire carcass and just an overall great tire. Another tire I used that was good is the BF Goodrich AT, but I liked the tread of the Goodyear better as it seemed to self clean better in mud. I am talking mud like trail mud not mud racing in pits - you'll need some super swampers there!

But to your original question of which of the two- I'd go Cooper all the way.

Last edited:
The only problems I've had is the amount of NOISE they make on dry roads, especially when they get worn & the rapid wear-the only way I'd have M/Ts is if I had a dedicated off-roader or lived on a dirt road where I HAD to be able to get out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back