Mobil-1 10w-30 in lightly Modified Supercharged 3.8 GTP 5,097

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me know what you folks think here:

Blackstone Labs

1999 3.8 V6 supercharged Grand Prix with 64,311 miles.

5,097 miles on oil.
AC Delco PF-52 longer filter than stock

Comments: Rob: Sorry it stook so long for you to receive your container. We have two more coming your way. The stroage didn't hurt anything. Wear looks okay in this sam;le. As you can see, your wear levels were all close to averages, which show typical wear fromthe super charged 3.8L after about 5000 miles on the oil. Only sisicon was high in your oil, and it may show the need to check or change the air filter. No moisture, fuel, or coolant was present in this sam;le. Insolubles were low showing great oil filtration. Looks good! Check out the air filter and check back to monitor.

Aluminum 3
chromium 2
iron 23
copper 23
lead 1
tin 0
molybdenum 55
nickel 2
manganese 0
silver 0
titanium 0
potassium 2
boron 142
silicon 31*
sodium 7
calcium 2749
magnesium 15
phosphorus 687
zinc 779
barium 0

Viscosity @ 210* is 61.5
Flashpoint 405*
Fuel Antifreeze 0.0
Water 0.0
Insoluables 0.2

Yes the K&N 12" cone styl was dirty and was cleaned after the report.

edit-fixed your copper number for you
cheers.gif

[ March 01, 2005, 09:00 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

WQell if that coperis correct..there could be a serious problem..possibly the thrust bearing
frown.gif
Maybe the oil pump. Is there an oil cooler??? Silicon is pretty high or your numbers might have been better.

Well..my typing isn't much better
grin.gif
. Well..that's a lot better. Copper should continue to go down. GM's have higher copper readings. Like I said though..silicon (filter) is still high-story of K&N filters.
frown.gif

The oil did hold up well and the report other than the silicon is good. That 405 is a great flash point showing no fuel and viscosity is great.

Thanks for the input as Im quite new to this stuff.
smile.gif

I think I will relocate and replace the K&N. I have it in the fenderwell low to the ground to bring in ambient air temps. This location tends to be a rather dusty area and requires frequent cleanings. My silicon levels should improve when I geterdone
grin.gif

I agree with Al. I think it's a good report and the oil did well. Might want to try the new Mobil 1 EP for this car. Boosted additive levels and 50% more SuperSyn PAO.
wink.gif

IMO That's a horrible report. I run Valvoline Maxlife 10W-30 and don't see more than 7ppm of iron every 3k. I'll be posting a 10W-40 report this week once the test comes back.

Try another oil, that one just isn't protecting well for 5,000 miles in a broken-in engine.

quote:

Originally posted by Dominic:
IMO That's a horrible report. I run Valvoline Maxlife 10W-30 and don't see more than 7ppm of iron every 3k. I'll be posting a 10W-40 report this week once the test comes back.

Try another oil, that one just isn't protecting well for 5,000 miles in a broken-in engine.

Blackstone shows average as 28 PPM for the 3.8 and I was below average. Im also changing at 2k later than yours. I am always opened minded to better oils. Any input out there regarding a Max life vs. M1?

This oil is doing a great job. Fix the air filtration and your iron will drop accordingly. M1 works well in my non-SC 3800. It worked so well, I don't know why I'm trying GC, but I'll compare.

Tin, lead, and insolubles look perfecto.
grin.gif

Great to see a L67 UOA! Seems like your car is similar to most on CGP, lightly modded with a K&N on M1. Do you have a FWI or CAI or just an open cone? I'm not sure cleaning the K&N will help much with the dirt injestion, most think that the K&N works better dirty.

-T

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
Great to see a L67 UOA! Seems like your car is similar to most on CGP, lightly modded with a K&N on M1. Do you have a FWI or CAI or just an open cone? I'm not sure cleaning the K&N will help much with the dirt injestion, most think that the K&N works better dirty.

-T

Yes I have a FWI. Im a member over at CGP. Smily1 is my SN. Been over there since Jan of 2002. This is my second L67 in a GP. I had a 97 for a while. My mods are FWI, Intense 1.9's, RTDP, 3.4 pulley, autolight 104's, 180 Tstat, and Intense PCM. I may be missing something... I use a LS1M to scan and log data.

I think my K&N is too old and may have some larger holes now after fitting that beast in the fender well. I am going to replace it with a smaller filter in a CAI type of setup. It will be a little healthier in the long run IMHO.

So tell me about yours. Also link to your UOA if you have one.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Dominic:

Now I am far from being an expert...but what on earth would make this a bad report? Seriously i want to know ...what did i miss?

Here is my latest Blackstone report from my Grand Prix GT for comparison. The last interval was German Castrol. The previous intervals on the report were Amsoil 0W-30 and Amsoil ATM 10W-30 respectively.

I have a thread a few pages back that you can read comments on. A search comes up with a few more UOA's to look at too.

-

Thanks for posting

Why do you think you got so much lead with the Amsoil? The GC looks pretty good though. Would be interesting to see a UOA with M1 in your L36.

quote:

Originally posted by SMILEY:
Thanks for posting

Why do you think you got so much lead with the Amsoil? The GC looks pretty good though. Would be interesting to see a UOA with M1 in your L36.

I'd bet it's proportional to the lead in Scott's foot.
grin.gif
Lead is still pretty high for GC. All these oils should show low wear. I'm not sure M1 would do any better under the circumstances. All his wear metals are elevated, imho.

90% of my body weight is in my right foot.
grin.gif
The first Amsoil run was during a very cold winter. That weather combined with a heavy foot was probably the main cause. I do race the car at least once per month in the summer, so that could also be a cause.

I've made a concious effort to drive more like a little old lady for many months now. I'm trying to maximize fuel mileage and see if there is any effect on engine wear.

I just changed the oil last month with a Frankenoil blend of various Amsoil stuff I had sitting on my shelf. I've got a brew of 0W-30, 5W-30 and 10W-30 along with the LC I bought from the great special they've been running. I won't be changing that out until sometime in June or so.

I'll have a nice stack of Mobil 1 from Pep Boys by then, so it will be the next oil going in.

ScottP, I knew you had a lead foot.
grin.gif
These engines show low wear for us Granny drivers like me, but nothing seems to work if you drive hard. Unlike Patman's Vette's, GC seems to help but this V-6 has no magic when driven hard.

Tranny is a weak link here so I'm told, so I go lite. The trans will go if you have too much fun.

You make a point. With this engine, I can manipulate uoa's a lot based on how I drive and probably get dramatically different results.

[ March 02, 2005, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: haley10 ]

I think your silicon level shows one of the downsides to a K&N fenderwell. I've been saying for a while that that would happen. A lot of people run these, and I don't think there's much to gain by it.

I'd run a large paper filter in the engine compartment, sealed off of course.

-T

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
I think your silicon level shows one of the downsides to a K&N fenderwell. I've been saying for a while that that would happen. A lot of people run these, and I don't think there's much to gain by it.

I'd run a large paper filter in the engine compartment, sealed off of course.

-T

Yes, I believe you are right.

Scott,

I get yelled at a lot by my wife for the way I drive "her" car. I did take it to Infinion Raceway and got 3 runs at the track on this last oil change so Im not sure about the lead foot theory or my lead should be elevated as well. (14.2 2.1 60 foot against a 15-20 mph head wind on what is called an "uphill" track
frown.gif
)

I think these motors are built with more play in tolerences than others because they can get away with it. This might be why one might show more wear than another as yours may have been built at closer tolerances than mine. Combine that with the cold and maybe this is why you are seeing a bit more lead. I could be way off... I dont know.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
I agree with Al. I think it's a good report and the oil did well. Might want to try the new Mobil 1 EP for this car. Boosted additive levels and 50% more SuperSyn PAO.
wink.gif

Compared to the SM version of M1 the EP M1 is boosted.This M1 UOA is definitly an SL run
cool.gif

EP M1 and the outgoing SL stuff look very similar as far as additives we can see on these UOA's
rolleyes.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back