05 F250 Thoughts on going Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are only two reasons to use synthetics; uber cold temps (does not apply in VA) and greatly extended OCIs.

Is he going to extend the OCI? If not, it's a big waste of money. That is not an opinion; it's a fact proven time and time again in UOA evidence. Under "normal" conditions, synthetics show no advatage in wear reduction, but they surely reduce the size of your wallet easily.

Allow me to define "normal": temps above -10F, and OCIs less than 7500 miles.

Using synthetics is a moreso a matter of fiscal choice than wear avoidance.

The 6.0L PSD does very well on dino HDEO; my neighbor has run some nice UOAs using 10w-30 Shell TP (dino) at the "normal" intervals. Yes, the HEUI shears a 40 grade down, but it does not do that nearly as badly with a 30 grade; seems it prefers a 30 grade.

It's your wallet; do as you see fit.

Last edited:
Nope there will be no wear difference but syn has shown to greatly improve the problematic 6.0 injectors and the sticking spool valve issue.

Bulletproof is the only way to go. Deleting the EGR and plugging the uppipe causes other issues.

Revex Is a great product for the 6.0's. I have some customers that like Hotshot Secret on the 7.3's. I personally am not a fan of Additives in PSD's. Good oil, proper filter ( MC ONLY on 6.0,6.4 and 6.7's )and proper OCI is where it's at

You could also check local oil suppliers. I get a pretty good synthetic blend CJ-4 oil (40% synthetic per the spec sheet) for just over $10 a gallon branded under the suppliers label. My ISX has 764,000 miles on it now doing 25K OCI's. Just ran the overhead and the top side looks pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back