The van only did hiway driving, up to 1200 miles/day

shocked.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Tim:

quote:

Originally posted by olympic:
The van only did hiway driving, up to 1200 miles/day

shocked.gif

I guess I should have added "with multiple drivers". It wasn't me doing 25k in 2 months...lol!

I guess I should explain where all these miles come from. My town is a major terminal for the Canadian National Railway(CNR). All trains stop here to recrew, refuel, etc. I hold the local contract for transportation of the train crews.
Many times rail traffic is not balanced, meaning there's more traffic in one direction than the other, so there will either be too many crews in my town or too few at the next terminal. That's when they call me to shuttle men to the next terminal, up to 300 miles one-way in either direction. These guys are very highly paid so a taxi ride becomes "cheap" quite quickly compared to paying them to sit in a hotel and do nothing waiting for a train to go back home on. Years ago they would have just loaded them in the caboose of another train but the caboose went the way of the dodo a long time ago.

The other half of the business is "rescues". Rail crews are only allowed to be on duty 12 hours. Normally this is more than enough time to get to the next terminal, but in the winter when it's -30C or colder, nothing wants to move. The connections between the rail cars leak air so the brakes wont work, the rail breaks, wheels crack, etc, etc. So when it looks like the crew wont make it in time, a new crew is ordered up and taxi'd out to the train and the old crew is brought back.

Once one train dies enroute, it almost always causes a chain reaction. All the other trains cant get by and have to wait until things are repaired. So those crews start to run out of time as well and have to be relieved.

It all sounds kinda crazy but we run our a**** off 24/7 whenever the weather turns nasty. Many times a van will return from a 600 mile trip, refuel, and head out on another one with a new driver. But once spring comes, the trains run smoothly and I don't get called as much.

quote:

Originally posted by srivett:
Does the viscosity of the 0w40 XD-3 hold up as well as the 0w30? The only UOA I've seen on the 40 is QuickLudes but his UOAs are only useful for that particular engine...

Yeah, my 6.0 PSD just chewed up the 40 but the 0w30 held up very well.

Personally unless I absolutely needed a 40 weight oil, I would use the 0w30 instead. It's a high 30 anyway and as we have seen, it has produced some very good results, just like that "other"
tongue.gif
0w30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back