Clutch noise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: GTO52
I got 2 professional opinions today, both said its the input shaft bearing, the guy that's going to the job is actually guru on Toyota pickups and has done quite a few of these transmissions with exactly the same problem but usually ones with a higher mileage than mine.

Definitely get the I.S.B. replaced ASAP. If the bearing falls apart, the spherical/metallic balls inside can fall out into the transmissions gears.

If your clutch is good you may just be out a good amount on labor, but better than having to shop around for a rebuilt trans at 5x the cost of this job to replace the ISB, easy.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
So anyway, did you get it fixed and what was the real problem?

Input shaft bearing was badly worn, the rest of the of the transmission was fine, so they replaced the bearing and the clutch as it was almost on the rivets.

Originally Posted By: GTO52
Originally Posted By: TallPaul
So anyway, did you get it fixed and what was the real problem?

Input shaft bearing was badly worn, the rest of the of the transmission was fine, so they replaced the bearing and the clutch as it was almost on the rivets.

I'm pretty much in your shoes as well. Hoping to make it to tax return season so I can afford the repair.
eek.gif

If the noise goes away when the pedal is depressed and returns when released,it`s the tranny`s input shaft bearings (internals) spinning. Perfectly normal. All manual trannies do it.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
If the noise goes away when the pedal is depressed and returns when released,it`s the tranny`s input shaft bearings (internals) spinning. Perfectly normal. All manual trannies do it.

^If an ISB starts to go out, it can affect the car's ability to move from a stop, little initial power; not related to disc slippage/clutch itself.

In a transmission like this Civic has, for instance, the ISB could fall apart allowing tiny spherical metal balls to enter into the transmission and eat at the gears.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back