4T65E Easy Upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: beast3300
I wouldn't change it out so quick to change it out. Try disconnect the battery overnight and drive the car normally for about 100 miles to see if that helps. Otherwise just leave that fluid in there at least a year. Changing it over and over can cause more harm then good.

Hmmm... You mean to say that the car computer would potentially relearn tranny management - just like it does the ignition system? Very nifty if it does...

And I guess I don't quite understand how getting less-and-less contaminated fluid in the system over several fluid extractions might potentially cause harm... I'd be interested in learning a bit more on this point.

Originally Posted By: RnR
I wouldn't change it out so quick to change it out. Try disconnect the battery overnight and drive the car normally for about 100 miles to see if that helps. Otherwise just leave that fluid in there at least a year. Changing it over and over can cause more harm then good.

Hmmm... You mean to say that the car computer would potentially relearn tranny management - just like it does the ignition system? Very nifty if it does...

And I guess I don't quite understand how getting less-and-less contaminated fluid in the system over several fluid extractions might potentially cause harm... I'd be interested in learning a bit more on this point.

Yes the 4T65-E is all electronic. It controls shift time as well as shift pressure electronically. It has adaptive shifting. When the clutches are wasted the check engine light will usually give a P1810 code (max adaptive shift) which means it will max out line pressure to try to keep it shifting. If you had a tuner such as HP tuner or DHP tuner (out of business now) you can change all of the transmission behavior like I have done.

Transmission fluid is highly detergent. Changing it too often will ruin a transmission. Think of the new fluid as having better scrubbing ability to clean.

A weak point in the transmission is the EPC or PCS some refer to it as. This is the pressure solenoid that maintains pressure (line pressure). It has a tiny screen on it that has been known to plug with conventional flush machines. Especially if the fluid has particulates floating around in it. As old school as it sounds, my 2 cents is pan drop/filter change only on a 4T65 or any transmission in a car I own.

Like I said, just my two cents. I have never owned a brand new car so I tend to error on the side of caution. Do as you want. Just friendly advice here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
Quote:
That is what I had done to the Buick and Previous GTP

These were awesome cars with just a little tuning.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Some guys also gutted their superchargers to run a turbo setup.

I see some kits are offered with a block of plate for the snout.

I love them. I have always had good luck with them.

I have seen them with the block off plate in person. I have yet to see one, in person, that has the blower and the turbo.
That must be awesome!

2007 is much later than any 4T65E I have worked on, but still about the same.

I formerly had a 12.80 second W-body. If you want that transmission to last, you need to keep the fluid changed and take it easy on it. It can handle full power romps every now and then, but if you continually run it hard, it will fail. Also, a single wheel burn out/spin on wet pavement can cause the differential to fail which will release metal and destroy the transmission.

Although expensive, major mods are available for the transaxle including gears and a posi-traction.

The sheer cost and trouble of modding, or replacing/repairing these FWD cars transaxles is their main pitfall.

Quote:
The sheer cost and trouble of modding, or replacing/repairing these FWD cars transaxles is their main pitfall

Yep that's true enough. OEM its a poorly built weak unit indeed.
These things have more weak links in them than a piece of cheap Chinese chain 2003+ were better but not bullet proof by any means.

I built mine for about 1500 in parts using the best stuff available inc single chain, hardened input, blue clutches, etc.
Luckily i have a few brand new GMPP #88958682 torsen units available so i don't need to scrounge around at 1500-1800 each.

It has adaptive shifting.
Okay... that's what I didn't realize and of course, made perfect sense once you mentioned it.

Transmission fluid is highly detergent. Changing it too often will ruin a transmission.
So, sticking with a 25-30k mi. change interval won't push things too much would it? Plus with the commentary thus far, I think now that once I get a pan drop and filter change accomplished - I'll leave well enough alone, fluid-wise, for awhile. Still looking at that Transgo shift kit though...

I have never owned a brand new car so I tend to error on the side of caution. Do as you want. Just friendly advice here.
And much appreciated it is.

Yes, I have a W-body store shift kit in the Regal. The Grand Prix in my signature just has electronic changes via laptop. You can't go wrong with a simple shift kit. 25-30k is no problem on modern transmission fluid. GM recommends 50k for severe service ever since the introduction of DexIII. So you will be good to go with pan drop.

Might I suggest a OE filter from the dealer. I found they are built much much better than the part's store stuff. As mentioned (I think it was) the pan gasket is reusable. Just wipe dry with a rag, no cleaners needed. It will work fine if it's just "damp" with old tranny fluid.

As a side note the Maxlife trans fluid is full synthetic and can work. I would stay with Dex6. I have Valvoline full synthetic Dex6 in the Regal and it works good.

Sorry for the slightly abrasive end of my last post. I just got home from work and I unfortunately deal with the public. They usually get under my skin that takes a few beers to forget about.

Oh: http://www.grandprixforums.net/shift_kit.php here is a link to show you where the shift kit goes in. It isn't that hard really, great time to do it with the bottom pan off.

My original GTP, an 01, wet about 110,000 miles on the stock tranny with a tune, exhaust, CAI, pulley, U-bend delete, rocker arms and some small stuff I am forgetting. That saw a lot of track time to the tune of 13.50s' I had my tranny guy rebuild it with the best stuff he could buy and that one went to 270,000 when I gave it to a friend. He still drives it, mostly highway stuff, but that tranny is still going.
I had the Buicks done the same way.
I alwasy put an extra aux tranny cooler on them. Not sure if it helps, but it sure can't hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back