Advance Auto Parts & Optima Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a Red top Optima online using a coupon code from AAP about 13 months ago for my GMC Sierra. It died today. I tried jump starting it with the Camry for 20 minutes, but it would barely turn over once.

I tried returning it to AAP since it has a 36 month free replacement warranty. The hooked up their battery tester for a minute, didn't say anything, connected the tester to another battery, and started printing a test slip. I immediately questioned what was going on, thinking they were trying to fake the test. The saleswoman told me she was just powering the tester to print the report. The report allegedly said the battery was good, but needed recharging, but they wouldn't show me report.

They said they would charge the battery for 30 minutes, let it cool 10 minutes, and retest. I left and returned. A different salesman disconnected my battery, and commented that the battery was very warm. I asked if this was bad, he said yes. He retested the battery, and the tester allegedly said replace the battery, but again I never saw the report.

I brought the email receipt with me to return the battery. The original saleswoman handled the exchange. She told me the emailed receipt was not a valid receipt. I told her it was the email receipt from AAP. She said I needed the receipt I was given when I picked up the battery. I told her even if I had it, it wouldn't be readable. She finally asked for my driver's license, and made the return.

Two things surprised me about this.
1.) AAP wouldn't honor their own receipt.
2.) The Optima battery died in 13 months

Anyone have any similar experience?

For a battery that claims superiority and long life, and charges a premium accordingly, I sure to hear a lot about them not lasting long and being a hassle to get replaced...

1) similar to stories I've heard from some good friends at AAP. However, the one time I had a return at AAP (defective oil filter) they didn't even ask for a receipt; dude just walked to the shelf and handed me another one. Granted, that was a $4 filter and not a ~$200 Optima battey.

2) I think Optimas generally suck for longevity since being bought out a few years ago. I think folks in most common situations would be better off just buying the best version of the house brand battery with the 3yr warranty and spend the extra $100 on that month's oil-change specials.

Sounds like a very sleazy approach by a sleazy store. That behavior is deliberate by the employee who is probably reacting to managerial direction. Normally an employee couldn't care less, as processing returns is part of the job.

I'd never go there again and I'd consider writing a very detailed letter to AAP corporate. Don't call. Without paper, it never happened.

Once you buy it online, you've bought it, and the emailed receipt is your invoice. (or your invoice is your receipt.)

I tried this with a mispriced "case" of delo and was denied. I never picked it up; never signed anything in the store. My credit card was charged; I had to call "webcare" to correct it for a refund.

If a store balks at returning a "website buy", take it up with webcare (877-ADVANCE)? preferably while you are still in the store.

I know for a fact that the tester AAP uses runs on AA batteries; it does not draw any power for its own operation besides the actual test (which is stupid; it would make sense to have a rechargable battery that was recharged as part of the test load).

A while ago on this board someone mentioned that the ownership of the Optima manufacturing changed, original manufacturer sold out to a major supplier of batteries and that new owner opted to cheapen the product which seems to be the case when any product is sold now, recoup the investment asap

Certainly smells fishy...disappointed that such an expensive product performed so poorly. I have Volvo OE batteries...they're good for 8 or so years and the diehards and interstates in the other cars last similarly...

As far as the employees method of testing? Strange...can't explain it...like he didn't want to believe what he was seeing...or didn't know wha the was doing...

Too bad about the whole experience. The AAP nearest me has been great. I go there all the time - nice guys who try really hard.

Those whom I know that are using or have used completely sealed OPTIMA Batteries are either on their second OPTIMA Battery due to the quick failure rate of the first one or, will never get another OPTIMA Battery again due to their quick failure rate per/cost(2-3 years/$150) and the fact that these folks are hearing many of the same complaints from others about OPTIMA's lack of quality/longevity.

Many of the folks that I am speaking of have paid a healthy price for these OPTIMA Batteries. Full price or over priced! And they really didn't need a battery in their car/truck that can handle the ruggedness that the OPTIMA Batteries provide(NO REAL OFF-ROADING or extremes) but, they all like the look/color of the OPTIMA's under their hood and the way the battery complimented their engine compartment...I'll give it that!

And I agree with Astro14...I buy good batteries for our vehicles(EverStartMaxx, AutoCraft Titanium/Gold etc.) that are reated for >8yrs w/3yr Free Replacement, strong CA/CCA, "Special Grid Tech", quick recovery after a jump stars should the light have been left on, and all that bla-bla-bla, all for

Last edited:
Optima batteries have a very wishy-washy reputation once you start digging. It was enough to convince me they weren't worth the extra money.

As far as the AAP receipt, I suppose the problem is that the invoice you get online for a pickup doesn't imply purchase. You can easily "buy" something online, get the invoice, then never pick it up or be charged for it. Someone could do this to get a battery purchased somewhere else at any date to claim it is a valid receipt.

The other side of course is that as you say, their receipts don't last more than a few months before they turn invisible. I've had this happen to me from multiple stores on multiple occasions. Perhaps most frustratingly is that you know that somewhere in their system the information exists in the ifrst place.

It's important to note that the Optima is capable of venting. It just doesn't normally need to. But it can.

I gave them three tries here. They struck out badly. Lots of better batteries out there IMO.

And my AAP has [censored] in their computer on me going back YEARS!

Last edited:
I just purchased a battery from Costco. Before buying I did a fairly good amount of research including testimonials form work friends. Conclusion? Optimas tend to be trouble prone and not perform as advertised....plus they are over priced. Best battery for the money? Costco Kirkland brand (Johnson Controls). Higher CCA's, excellent durability, and very well priced ($85 vs. well over $100 for equal or less battery elsewhere). Costco has an excellent return policy as well (if it's ever needed).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andrewg
I just purchased a battery from Costco. Before buying I did a fairly good amount of research including testimonials form work friends. Conclusion? Optimas tend to be trouble prone and not perform as advertised....plus they are over priced. Best battery for the money? Costco Kirkland brand (Johnson Controls). Higher CCA's, excellent durability, and very well priced ($85 vs. well over $100 for equal or less battery elsewhere). Costco has an excellent return policy as well (if it's ever needed).

That's where I bought my Optima (for A LOT less than AAP/Peppies/anyone else charges for them).

It IS a Johnson Controls-made one, and it has lasted me over 2 years so far, and I do play my stereo with the engine off for extended periods of time.
Maybe I got an 'exception'???
21.gif

I like the Optimas NOT for their "looks" as some have claimed, but because they are the absolute lightest power sources available for my car given a certain CCA/CA/amp/etc. rating vs. ANY conventional battery, and are 1/20th the cost of ANY new tech lithium ion batteries (the only things that can match the power, and weigh even less than the Optimas), and have NEVER leaked during my use of them.

That being said, if/when this one ever goes (and cannot be warrantied), I will get a Sears Platinum which is the same EXACT thing as an Odyssey, except for the color/logos (BOTH are made by EnerSys), and use this HEAVY battery as balance/ballast by relocating it to the passenger rear hatch/spare area, and running 1 gauge wire up to the front/starter.
wink.gif

I went through two Optima yellow top 51R batteries. Each one lasted about 12 months before they failed....never again. In my opinion they are garbage.

Several years ago I worked at an auto parts store that sold lots of yellow top Optimas to the city public works dept. Just about as many were coming back from the city on a regular basis so I would say there are some longevity issues there.

The old Delphi produced ACDelco Voyager batteries, which like Optima are also a JCI built product these days, would way outlast those pricy yellow six packs.

The Optima thing seems iffy. Sometimes people run them for years but others seem to have nothing but problems.

For the money I think there are better alternatives. Several good AGM batteries are readily available, like the Die Hard Platinum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back