New riding lawnmower grease questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, while researching for a new riding lawnmower, I decided on a Craftsman 28" 12.5 HP which is made by Snapper. During my research I read a few reviews where owners had stated that their new mower was delivered without grease being added to some zerks.

I bought some Mobil 1 grease and threw out the old grease (Castrol EP syn) that I had in my grease gun for about 5 years. My question is, does grease have a shelf life once opened? Before removing the Castrol I gave the trigger a few short pulls and the grease flowed fine. Also, it seemed every zerk had a honey colored grease on it except the axle so I was glad I checked. Lastly, any issues mixing different types of grease as long as they are both meet specs?

I thought most come with some derivitive of lithium grease in the spendles and such. I have never heard of an issue with mixing grease in a lawn mower / garden tractor application. I use the marine grade stuff in everything since I need it for my boat anyways and it makes washing my belly mower on occasion a non issue.

Do you know what came in it? Should be the same as what is recommended in the owners manual. There are comparability charts to say.

Shelf life is usually when the oil separates out and makes a big mess

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Do you know what came in it? Should be the same as what is recommended in the owners manual. There are comparability charts to say.

Shelf life is usually when the oil separates out and makes a big mess

The Craftsman manual lacks detail compared to Snapper's which I downloaded. From the Snapper manual, "General Purpose grease (NLGI No.2) with a grease gun." and nothing else except zerk locations and how many squeezes of the trigger per each zerk location. Regarding shelf life, I guess the 5 yo Castrol was still good then.

Found another thread on this issue. Look at n4zou's post at:

http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-255836.html

His post seems logical to me...it isn't a referenced disertation on the issue, but a reasonable explanation?

That being said I did mix Li or whatever Cub uses and SuperTech Marine grease last year in my garden tractor, and had no issues, but it gets lubed every 2-5 hrs due to excessive dirt and dust exposure, so probably a non issue being that the turnover of grease is pretty high.

Last edited:
Grease incompatibility has to do with the thickeners used. Incompatible greases can cause each other to de-gel and revert back to more of an oil. If changing thickeners, just regrease more often to drive out the old grease.

Pushing the old out purges so you mostly have the water resistant marine grease which is what I use in that application. If the two greases sit in a mix together they deteriate.

I would say on a low speed type of equipment any lube beats no lube. So pick what you want and grease it as needed or often if worried. I'm sure you could have used up the old tube of grease with out any worries but if it's gone it's gone.

Quote:
does grease have a shelf life once opened?
Many, many years. If it still looks and feels good, it is good. If it has hardened, you'll know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back