changing oil on a chevy cruze...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so whats the deal with the cartride oil filter and needing a special socket? I went to three autopart stores and nobody has the cartride filter or the socket?
Bring it in to the dealer for an oil change isn't an option.

The oil filter cap needs a 24mm socket. You'll need a 3" extension on a 24mm deep socket, or a 6" extension on a regular socket.

Get the filter at the dealer. The Delco filter is well worth the $8 or so. It's much better made than the Fram at Wal-Mart. If the dealer doesn't work, CarQuest or NAPA "ought" to have a Wix in stock.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I used either the 24mm or 1 1/4" socket ...

Do both those sizes fit? I'm just curious because the 1-1/4" socket would be about 1/4" bigger than the 24mm.

1 1/4" is about the same as 32 mm. I know the older Ecotecs used a 32 mm socket, and a 1 1/4" socket was an acceptable alternative. I don't know what size the Cruze uses.

So the oil filter cap socket for the Cruze ISN'T the same as the 2.2L Ecotec?

I've still got my Lisle brand socket in my toolbox from my 2007 Cobalt 2.2L Ecotec. Those can be had for around $10.

Joel

Originally Posted By: css9450
Originally Posted By: pbm
I used either the 24mm or 1 1/4" socket ...

Do both those sizes fit? I'm just curious because the 1-1/4" socket would be about 1/4" bigger than the 24mm.

Sorry about that...I didn't mean to imply that either size fit.
My wife has the car out right now so I can't check it but I meant that I used a socket from my tool box w/o a problem. I wouldn't spend over $30 on a special (Snap-on) socket.

The Cruze DOESN'T use the same size as the Ecotec because my buddy couldn't use my socket on his Equinox 2.4.

I see in the article that I posted that it is a 24mm. I'm not sure if there is an SAE size that fits. You can buy a 24mm socket for a few bucks at Sears or HD.

Last edited:
I saw a 24mm socket at Lowe's for $4.47.
It looks like a 15/16s would also work in a pinch.

It's super easy. You will need a 24mm socket. I picked up a GM Performance socket @ O'reilly's for under $5.00. You can pick up a Wix oil filter for $8.99 there also. The part number is #57674.

Cartridge filters are the best, just spend the $30 and get the right socket, it will last you forever and other GM cars probably use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back