2009 JSW 2.0 CRD TDI Castrol SLX Pro LL03, 10k

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been delinquent in sharing my UOA data... FYI dealer pressure tested the cooling system twice, once overnight and had no leak-down. Coolant "disappearing" has slowed, and I only added 8oz or so over the last year. High potassium is normal for these vehicles. I plan on continuing 10k OCI, but my wife's commute has been cut in half.

Code:
All Samples Castrol SLX Professional LL03 5W-30 VW50700

Miles on oil 6,033 7,544 7,426 9,556

Miles on unit 6,033 22,684 30,110 39,666

Date 10/4/09 7/25/10 11/18/10 5/7/11

ALUMINUM 24 37 28 33

CHROMIUM 2 2 2 2

IRON 62 71 52 75

COPPER 32 10 7 9

LEAD 1 1 0 1

TIN 0 1 0 4

MOLYBDENUM 2 6 7 4

NICKEL 1 1 1 1

MANGANESE 6 2 1 1

SILVER 0 0 0 0

TITANIUM 0 2 1 1

POTASSIUM 61 63 48 41

BORON 2 1 1 1

SILICON 27 6 4 5

SODIUM 4 4 4 5

CALCIUM 1699 1756 1574 1515

MAGNESIUM 7 8 7 7

PHOSPHORUS 697 806 748 736

ZINC 899 1280 962 899

BARIUM 0 0 0 0

SUS VIS 210ºF 66.4 67.2 68.8 67.5

cSt @ 212ºF 11.98 12.22 12.64 12.30

FLASHPOINT ºF 440 420 425 400

Fuel
Antifreeze ? POS ? ?

WATER 0 0 0 0

INSOLUBLES 0.1 0.3 0.3 0.3

TBN 4.4 2.6 1.7

Those are pretty high wear numbers for the Al and Fe. I'd also be concerned about the potassium levels. Potassium is not present in oil, so any potassium present is a contaminant. The most common source of potassium is coolant.

Wear is a little high, but Al and Fe are high on many other UOA's i've seen with this engine. I may back down to 8k this time since the wife is in more stop/go traffic.

Potassium is something also common to the new VW 2.0 CR engine. I personally cannot explain it's presence, but Blackstone attributes it to the (ridiculously complex) emissions system. This thing has two EGR circuits, EGR cooler, DPF, NOx cat, H2S cat, the list goes on. The exhaust should be cleaner than the air coming in the intake!

Last edited:
Is 10,000mi. the manufacturers recommended interval? I see on your most recent UOA the TBN is almost completely used up but viscosity is solidly in the upper end of 30wt.

I think the higher than most of us are used to seeing wear numbers are the norm for these engines with the complex exaust systems. Overall not a bad looking report, but I would keep an eye on everything, as it looks like you already are with UOA's at every OC.

The wear numbers are mostly consistent, which I will give you credit for. I still don't think a 10k OCI is appropriate.

While the Al looks on track in comparison to the UOA I posted for a 5k run, the Fe is pretty high indeed.

It be interesting for you to try any other VW 507 to compare. I am sold on the LM product.

Originally Posted By: HondaMan
It be interesting for you to try any other VW 507 to compare. I am sold on the LM product.

I contemplated picking up M1 ESP this time around, but the UOA's on TDIClub weren't much better than the Castrol.

After looking at your UOA on Top Tec 4200, you have me interested. I've already bought the next round of oil, but I may go that route next time.

If you dare, try Mobil 1 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck. Watch the numbers fall...

Of course, you supposedly risk exhaust system contamination with all that ZDDP.

However, you must remember that the "theory" of high ZDDP in oil causing exhaust treatment system problems is 100% unproven. There is not one scientific study that has proven a cause and effect relationship. Nor is there any anecdotal evidence...

Wow. I know nothing about this small diesel, but the antifreeze is going into the oil. Sample 2 tested positive. May be an oil cooler problem. Iron wear is to high and TBN way to low. I would call the lab that was doing the UOA and have a talk with them. I would keep the iron under 40 and the TBN above 3.0

Originally Posted By: 98Auburn
Wow. I know nothing about this small diesel, but the antifreeze is going into the oil. Sample 2 tested positive. May be an oil cooler problem. Iron wear is to high and TBN way to low. I would call the lab that was doing the UOA and have a talk with them. I would keep the iron under 40 and the TBN above 3.0

It's hard to pin it on antifreeze since none of the other coolant markers are present here. OP also mentions that these engines have a track record of K numbers, perhaps from emissions.

Originally Posted By: 98Auburn

The "positive" sample is based solely upon the presence of Potassium. I spoke to the lab, and they do not test for glycol.

The coolant system has been pressure tested twice. If there is coolant entering the oil, then it is happening in such a way that cannot be diagnosed.

Last edited:
I got similar wear numbers and even more catastrophic fall in TBN (acid causes wear?) using Castrol SLX Professional OE 5W30 in our 09 BMW X5 35d.
I've switched to Mobil Delvac 1 LE 5W30
http://www.mobil.com/Lithuania-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENCVLMOMobil_Delvac_1_LE_5W-30.aspx
it has only 1% ash and http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolistenmain.php?session_id=&navigation_path=&language_id=1 , sheet 223.2, p,.3) And it is rated for 100,000km OCIs (in big trucks, of course). The TBN is 12.6; the VOA TBN of the Castrol is a measly 6.4.
CJ4/ACEA E9 oils have turned out bettter than I thought they would. But so far I'm quite unimpressed with ACEA "C" class oils.

Charlie

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: m37charlie

CJ4/ACEA E9 oils have turned out better than I thought they would.
Charlie

What do you mean Charlie?
Regarding TAN and TBN - we tested the same 5W-30 C3 oil with and without diesel additives (Amsoil and BG stuff) - and it seems that with diesel additives you can save some TBN and TAN is not increasing so fast as without.
Another example - same engine and oil driven in Poland and in Germany (really different diesel quality) - to reach TAN ~5 in Germany you need 9-10kkm and in Poland 6-7kkm is enough.
With diesel additives after 6kkm still TAN 6 (from 8) so about 20% better both.

I was suspicious of the drop in ZDDP and detergents with CJ4 oils. But it looks likw the drop in ZDDP is insignificant and not enough people push their OCI to the limit of their (decreased) TBN to make a statistical difference.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: gonesurfing
Wear is a little high, but Al and Fe are high on many other UOA's i've seen with this engine. I may back down to 8k this time since the wife is in more stop/go traffic.

I have test results of full SAPS Castrol SLX Prof. 5-30 A5 (not 504/507) from my friend. Landrover Freelander 2,2L diesel, 7450 miles OCI - 56ppm of Fe - similar level.

Last edited:
With 2.0 TDI we add BG 511 (whole bottle) into a coolant and high wear is gone. I saw even 90ppm Iron @ 10kkm because of some coolant in oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back