2010 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not used any synthetics before and I searched for a post on this, but no luck...
1. What kind of vehicle you have
2010 Dodge Ram 2WD hemi 5.7 20,000 miles.
2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well
API Certified SAE 5W-20 Engine Oil, meeting the requirements
of Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395
3. Where you live
Richmond, TX (near Houston)
4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?)mostly easy and not more than 5mph over the limit.
5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?) 30 miles rt to the office each day some stop n go on freeway. occasional trips of 250mi rt or so. Tow a 6000# boat almost every weekend in the summer (may to sept)
6. Whether your car has any known problems, No problems.

Looking for best protection/gas mileage. I wont do long drain intervals, too old school, not more than 5-6k mi or so. Not too concerned about $, but also consider value for $ spent. Thanks to all for your help.

Any 5W20 that meets that Chrysler spec will be just fine. Even though the intervals will be short (5-6K) my choice would be synthetic when towing three tons+ in the summer heat with A/C on 100% of the time. Purchase by price with MS 6395 in mind.

Is your truck equiped with a Oil Life monitor? Mine is. its in the vehicle info center. If you do just follow it. Your maintenance interval is 6 month or 8000 miles. Any over the counter synthetic will do that easy in a 5.7 Hemi.

Get the Autozone promotion M1 EP deals. $35 for 5 quarts of EP and an M1 filter. Synthetic tends to run cooler and get slightly better mpg. Your results may vary.

You will never have a problem with your Hemi on any synthetic 5W20 oil at 5-6K OCIs.

I dont think the AAP deal is good for a Hemi owner as you have to buy 2 additional quarts at $6 each.

Go to Wal-Mart and buy 3 5Qt containers, enough for 2 oil changes. The Pennzoil Ultimate (PU) 5W20 is probably the best oil at Wal-Mart for your application.

Side note: 2009 & up Hemis began using a 190F thermostat vs 203F in earlier Hemis. This definately adds life and oil pressure to your new Hemi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back