Mobil 1 vs Valvoline Maxlife ATF in Toyota

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been re-thinking all of my fluids lately. I recently switched from years of using Mobil 1 oil to Pennzoil Ultra after a couple of UOAs pointed to my engine liking it better. Now I'm re-thinking my ATF.

I've got 130K miles on my Toyota Tacoma and I've been doing ATF changes (just draining ~ 4 quarts with the AT drain plug) every 30K miles. I've been using Mobil 1 ATF from the beginning. I've had no issues and everything is working well.

I was at the auto parts store and noticed that Valvoline Maxlife is about half the price of Mobil 1 and I'd been reading a lot of good reviews of this Maxlife product. Basically, I don't care that much about price (although there IS a significant difference). I mainly want to use what will keep my tranny happy for the longest. Obviously, no one on here can give a recommendation with 100% certainty, but I'm looking for opinions.

Does anyone have a 2002 Toyota Tacoma (or similar year) that is using either product with success long-term? I'm talking about in the neighborhood of 100K miles. Like I said, I've been using M1 for over 100K miles myself, so I guess I have a good handle on that. I'm really curious about long-term usage of Maxlife in a Toyota transmission.

Thanks!

IMO....if everything works fine with Mobil 1 in your transmission....Why change a good thing?

IMO....the cost is just about the same. I've purchased all of my M1 ATF and Gear fluids from Advance on line.....using the discount codes with store pick-up. You'd be amazed at the savings you'll get if you add to your stash of ATF fluid and gear oil....a little at a time.

I'm running M1 ATF in the auto trans, power steering now. I'm also running the M1 Gear Oil in the Front and Rear Diffs and transfer case and everything is running smooth.

I was tempted to try Valvoline Max Life....but when I could get M1 for a couple of dollars more at Advance with the discount codes, I made my decision.

Last edited:
What does the manufacturer specify?

FWIW, Maxlife claims to meet some of the Toyota specs, M1 no longer does make that claim. It's also thinner in operation. Not saying that's good or bad, but I believe it's closer in viscosity to T-IV and WS, so it may be a more suitable fluid. They're both high quality fluids, and the VI and pour points are similar between the two.

I have to agree with Mongo on this one. I do not know anyone who is running ML Trans fluid in a HM Tacoma, but I do know people who have been running the Mobil ATF in Tundra transmissions for many many miles (Amsoil Fluid too). I guess the point I am trying to make is...

STICK WITH THE M1, it is working and you can afford it. Just service the trans. every 40k and you will off-set some of the cost.

I have to add this. Valvoline is a very good fluid, but I would still go with the M1 because it is working well and you do not have to mix fluids.

Last edited:
Here are the JASO 1-A and Mobil 1, ATF requirements.

http://www.mobil1racingstore.com/mo1syatf.html

It clearly states that Mobil 1, ATF, meets or exceeds the requirements.

Could you please post your link that shows that Mobil 1, ATF, NO LONGER meets these requirements???

I'm sure we would all like to read your information, with documented sources.

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: JOD
What does the manufacturer specify?

FWIW, Maxlife claims to meet some of the Toyota specs, M1 no longer does make that claim. It's also thinner in operation. Not saying that's good or bad, but I believe it's closer in viscosity to T-IV and WS, so it may be a more suitable fluid. They're both high quality fluids, and the VI and pour points are similar between the two.

Originally Posted By: mongo161

Could you please post your link that shows that Mobil 1, ATF, NO LONGER meets these requirements???

I'm sure we would all like to read your information, with documented sources.

Thanks.

umm....how about XOM's own website? What you posted is an out-of-date link from someone selling oil.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_Synthetic_ATF.aspx

Yes, it claims to meet JASO 1-A. But that's not the only spec requirement on most newer Toyotas. That's why the very first thing I asked was "what does the manufacturer specify". It no longer claims to meet or be suitable for T-III or T-IV.

If you have an issue with that, take it up with XOM, not me.

I have nothing against Valvoline MaxLife, high mileage ATF and had considered using that ATF. But instead, I picked up the Mobil 1, ATF for a couple of dollars more at a very good deal.

I might add.....that I was considering replacing the ATF with "Genuine Toyota" WS, ATF sold at the dealership in quarts.

However, when I calculated the cost per quart, between the Toyota brand and Mobil 1 AT fluids, Mobil 1 was less per quart if I bought the M 1 at Advance. Using the Advance discount codes, rather than purchasing Toyota ATF at the dealership, my cost was less.

The Gear Oil used at the dealership was bulk oil in 55 Gallon Barrels. The gear oil that they use is "Generic", they could not give me the name brand that they used and it was all the same weight.

The same situation went on for the price of the "Genuine Toyota Red", antifreeze/coolant. The dealer wanted over $38 for a gallon of full strength. Instead, I shopped around and purchased the same Genuine Toyota Red, at a local auto parts store, for $22.50 per gallon.

So all essential fluids on my T4R were changed this summer.

For the ATF, I will just do a drain and fill every 20K with about 4 quarts of M1 and the gear oils should last quite some time. I'll just check the gear oils and ATF in the interim to make sure not much fluid has evaporated and the levels are acceptable.

For the Toyota Red Coolant, I plan to do a radiator drain and refill with a 50/50 mix every 18 months or so....but I'll keep an eye on the coolant level and add a weak mix of distilled water and coolant when needed.

I have an 01 Tacoma 3.4L (115k), like yours it specs for Dexron III (DexronII). I'm using MaxLife with no issues. ML certainly easily meets the 01-04 Tacoma DexII/III spec. I'm sure M1 is a fine fluid, but I don't see the need to pay more for the Tacoma here. ML is very reasonably priced especially at AAP (gal.), and has a good rep here. And as an aside, afaik Tacoma AT's of that gen are fairly reliable and durable. MaxLife is good AT fluid for this application, imo.

I'm sorry to say....you missed the point....If you read the OP statement.....we are talking about a 2002 Toyota Tacoma truck and not a 2011 or 2012 vehicle.

I suggest that you do a search of JASO requirements and see what is stated.

Cheers.

[/quote]

umm....how about XOM's own website? What you posted is an out-of-date link from someone selling oil.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_Synthetic_ATF.aspx

Yes, it claims to meet JASO 1-A. But that's not the only spec requirement on most newer Toyotas. That's why the very first thing I asked was "what does the manufacturer specify". It no longer claims to meet or be suitable for T-III or T-IV.

If you have an issue with that, take it up with XOM, not me. [/quote]

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mrdctaylor
I've been re-thinking all of my fluids lately. I recently switched from years of using Mobil 1 oil to Pennzoil Ultra after a couple of UOAs pointed to my engine liking it better. Now I'm re-thinking my ATF.

What in a UOA points to an engine "liking it better"? I'm curious.......... If you mean a small change in wear metals, that really means nothing. However if you experienced less consumption, less fuel dilution or something significant, then I think there would be some merit to your claim.

I'm sorry to say....you missed the point....If you read the OP statement.....we are talking about a 2002 Toyota Tacoma truck and not a 2011 or 2012 vehicle.

Cheers.

I didn't miss the point. Again....that's why I asked "what is the spec for this transmission?". I don't know, that's why I asked. The T-IV spec certainly isn't that new--it dates back to 2001(at least). It's not just for "2011 or 2012", by a long shot.

And again, the spec sheet you provided is out of date.

we are talking about a 2002 Toyota Tacoma truck and not a 2011 or 2012 vehicle.

So, I just checked: the Tacoma switched from DexIII to T-XX in 2003.

For the OP, FWIW M1 is probably closer to the viscosity of most DexIII's, and Maxlife has become a little thinner to meet some of the new spec's, so for this application I think M1 may be a better bet.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

What in a UOA points to an engine "liking it better"? I'm curious.......... If you mean a small change in wear metals, that really means nothing. However if you experienced less consumption, less fuel dilution or something significant, then I think there would be some merit to your claim.

The wear metals--especially Tin--seem significantly different. Regardless, they are different enough for me to switch. Here is my UOA:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...nt=3&page=1

Originally Posted By: JOD

Cheers.

I didn't miss the point. Again....that's why I asked "what is the spec for this transmission?". I don't know, that's why I asked. The T-IV spec certainly isn't that new--it dates back to 2001(at least). It's not just for "2011 or 2012", by a long shot.

And again, the spec sheet you provided is out of date.

Sorry--I should have mentioned the spec in the original post. My bad.

The wear metals (esp Tin) seem significantly different. Or at least different enough to switch:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...nt=3&page=1

Nope
frown.gif

That low of PPM.... somebody may have sneezed near your sample. It may also have been from dirt (you have high silicon) that caused a particle streak that lead to the minute differences in metals.

Regardless, I didn't see anything to support the status quo either. As a consumer, what I saw was enough to make me switch. I doubt it would matter much either way, honestly.

Regardless, I didn't see anything to support the status quo either. As a consumer, what I saw was enough to make me switch. I doubt it would matter much either way, honestly.

You really won't see anything anyway. UOA's are an oil life monitor and contamination measurement tool. They are not, and should not, be used to compare oils to one another. Each oil will have its own "signature" in a given application and really, any approved oil for an application will likely give you the same degree of engine life regardless.

mrdctaylor, i have a '00 4runner with 160k+ on the drive train. This should be similar to yours. I started doing drain/fill with maxlife around 60k so I have over 100k with maxlife. Initially I did a few close drain fills to try and get all the old fluid out and cleaned up. Now i drain/fill once a year and I haven't had any leaks/shifting issues with my tranny.

I selected maxlife because it was readily available at walmart which is where I bought most of my fluids. Didn't really know much about it at the time. I also use it in my LS400 with no issues but that has far fewer miles on it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back