2011 VW Jetta 2.5 oil help!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless they tell you outright, you have to guess. EXxxon has talked much about visom lately, RDS has talked a bit about whats in PP and Ultra. IDK if German and French still allow only higher group oils to be labeled synthetic.

Originally Posted By: OldCowboy
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
If you used a good oil instead of that walmart fake synthetic like m1 and PP and Syntec ....

Please explain this comment. Are you saying that Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, and Syntec are fake synthetics? Or are you saying that when those products are purchased from Wal-Mart they are fake synthetics?

If M1, PP and Syntec are fake, who makes "real" synthetics?

He is saying Super Tech Synthetic is fake.
smile.gif

And they DO make Super Tech synthetic.. hmmmm.

(Yeah the Supertech synthetic, not sure why they make it but maybe ive overlooked it. Hmmm.)

Originally Posted By: 45ACP
If you used a good oil instead of that walmart fake synthetic like m1 and PP and Syntec ....

Please explain this comment. Are you saying that Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, and Syntec are fake synthetics? Or are you saying that when those products are purchased from Wal-Mart they are fake synthetics?

smile.gif

He did not mention SuperTech. He specifically wrote "walmart fake synthetic like m1 and PP and Syntec".

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

smile.gif

He did not mention SuperTech. He specifically wrote "walmart fake synthetic like m1 and PP and Syntec".

I disagree. I will explain.

In his post, he wrote the following, i will quote with no bolding: "If you used a good oil instead of that walmart fake synthetic like m1 and PP and Syntec maybe you would be comfortable going 8k on an oci"

Now, When he said "If you used a good oil instead of that walmart fake synthetic" - Walmart oil is Supertech. Walmart Supertech does have a synthetic oil available, in a clear bottle that sits on the shelf in quarts next to the other stuff. So, there IS a Supertech synthetic, and it perhaps IS fake synthetic. 5W-30 and 10W-30 are available.

Back to his quote, the other part of it was "like m1 and PP and Syntec " - he was indicating that these were NOT the "(instead of that) walmart fake synthetic."

Hope this helps, i could be wrong

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
You may be right. Then again, SuperTech is no more fake than PP or Syntec. They're all group III based oils.

The thing is that we say that a Group III oil can be as good as a Group IV (like Royal Purple which i like and want to put in the Mystique if i get the chance) or Group V (like Redline which is mail order and you cant get off the shelf like Royal Purple) and that "Basestocks are not supposed to matter." So i dont think it is fake, though people like to say that about Syntec
whistle.gif

(right?)

Base stock DOES very much matter in a LL or long drain oil. The oil is doing the majority of the lubrication and if it is more stable (to shear and oxidation) and has better lubricity, then the oil will not varnish and sludge to the extent of the lower groups. The additive package is a tiny tiny percent of the lubricant - less than 3 tenths of one percent. Less than a tablespoonfull per sump. The less work it has to do, the longer the lubricant will last in service.

I was not saying ST was fake. I meant commonly purchased 6 buck a qt "synthetics" at you local store.

Royal purple street oil has never been confirmed to be majority group IV PAO. Also, PAO is not a "magic bullet" by any means.

I also stated slackwax group III and gas-to-oil are high performance group III that I consider synthesized.

Back to his quote, the other part of it was "like m1 and PP and Syntec " - he was indicating that these were NOT the "(instead of that) walmart fake synthetic."

Hope this helps, i could be wrong
Sorry for the poor and confusing grammar - It is even more inexcusable as I have not been drinking. Replace "like" with "exempli gratia:". I thought most members here have been aware that ALL common grade "fully synthetic" oils on your local store shelves are Group III oils. The grey area remains the Euro spec LL oils. Some are using GTL and XHVI stocks appellation group III but with VI>140; I call these synthetic. I dont consider your "run of the mill" low grade group III a synthetic. Group III quality is all over the map. At least API have required re-cert if there is a basestock interchange within group-III "syn" product, though there are ways around that I suppose. HTH and I'm off my soapbox.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back