Toilet paper bypass filter 60k on oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guy with s2000 and 40k on oil doesn't seem to crazy comparing to that guy.
I bet this bypass system is much cheaper than Amsoil
smile.gif

Wonder which oil he is using?

Its cool that he can change the filter any time he likes at only the cost of TP. I can get a 4 pack for a $1.25 at walmart. That would be interesting. But why would you go 60k on oil?!?!?!?!

Just asked my older coworker, he said he heard about such "toilet" filters long time ago,and oil would be kept forever They seemed to filter pretty good.

The "Scott 1000", Patent Pending.
lol.gif
It appears though, perhaps The "Scott < 1000" might be easier to install, as his "assistant" reminded him.
wink.gif

Interesting, though I vaguely remember the S2000 vid, experimenting with no oil change on a V Dub Bug variant as here, would seem to make more sense. The vehicle brings to mind the old VW Thing or Thingy as I used to refer to them. Many dune buggy type vehicles were similarly designed.

Thanks for the video.

Yes, toilet paper filters go a LOOONG ways back. There are some ads from the 40's (Popular Science/Mechanix Illustrated) that present add-on kits. How effective? I dunno, but they were widely used. John's Wife--Las Vegas.

The Frantz Filters do a very good job filtering the oil. You can look at the filter and see if there is a problem. If you remove a small amount of paper it is easier to insert in the canister. I have changed a few and never had a problem. The fins were added later and can help in cooling the oil. Tony sold and installed the Frantz filters in the '70s. Mr Powell had just developed the fins and was selling them to interdependent dealers. We met him several times. He actually demonstrated how add the fins to the canister on my dining room table.

What I find also interesting and a bit humorous is, even with the TP filter, some suggested to the vid maker that he use a better filter element. Thus, the switch from the generic Safeway Value Red to the thicker "Scott 1000" for a bit better filtering.

Just like with regular canister filters, trying to find a more efficient element.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
What I find also interesting and a bit humorous is, even with the TP filter, some suggested to the vid maker that he use a better filter element. Thus, the switch from the generic Safeway Value Red to the thicker "Scott 1000" for a bit better filtering.

Just like with regular canister filters, trying to find a more efficient element.

Guess "Scott 1000" stands for beta 1000, which equates to 99.9%.
lol.gif

What I don't quite get is how the oil flows through that TP filter. It looks like based on the hoses connected to the base that the oil actually flows through the TP roll from top to bottom, not from outside to inside like a regular filter. Guess that's why they say use more dense TP for better filtering.

Looks like they have their own TP brand ... maybe they sub it out to Champion Labs.
grin.gif

tn_FrantzSELECTtpElement.jpg

What about the add pack? The oil doesn't wear out (as we would know by hanging around here), but the ADD PACK DOES!! The TP wii filter very efficiently, but that's only part of the the job. I'll pass. Oil isn't that expensive....yet.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Guess "Scott 1000" stands for beta 1000, which equates to 99.9%.
lol.gif

Good one.
thumbsup2.gif
Though as said by his assistant something < 1000 seems to fit better.

I too don't quite understand how it works, but it is intriguing. Top to bottom make sense, since I didn't see any holes in the center tube. And it truly does have a cardboard centertube. Or is that also an "engineeered media" centertube?
lol.gif

Good point about the Add pack though. Thought about that myself when I heard/saw no oil change. Might depend on how much make up oil he's regularly adding, besides the filter change.

About add pack-- you top off every time when you change filters. That roll can hold probably 0.5 qt + full flow filter. + car burns some.

Originally Posted By: 2cool
What about the add pack? The oil doesn't wear out (as we would know by hanging around here), but the ADD PACK DOES!! The TP wii filter very efficiently, but that's only part of the the job. I'll pass. Oil isn't that expensive....yet.

The add pack does wear out but oil never does.

If you can properly filter oil and replace the add pack it would outlast the life of the motor.

I know of at least one Mercedes diesel where the owner installed a Frantz filter and with the oil lost while changing it replaced, his additive levels stay high. Last I heard he had 150k miles on the oil and the UOA's keep coming back good for continued use.

makes sense. that and the fact that VW's are notorious oil burners
wink.gif
So yea, there's plenty of "top off" to replenish the additives.....or so I'd hope :p

Very interesting video
smile.gif
Learn soemthing new every day!

I recall researching these many years ago. Some folks said that the filter would actually filter out some of the additives. The other weak spot was that if any buildup of water is allowed in the oil it can soften the paper and allow it to move to the oil system - goodby engine.

Originally Posted By: dickwells
I recall researching these many years ago. Some folks said that the filter would actually filter out some of the additives. The other weak spot was that if any buildup of water is allowed in the oil it can soften the paper and allow it to move to the oil system - goodby engine.

Yeah I don't understand how little bits of tp don't end up in the oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back