How much oil do you put in your car's sump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2001.5 Pathfinder (VQ35DE) calls for 5.25qt, I put in 5 and it's a little below the full line.

2007 Altima (QR25DE) calls for 5qt, I put in 5 and it's right on the full line.

2007 FJ Cruiser (1GR-FE) calls for 5.5qt, 5.5 go in and it's right on the full line..

my 2012 kia sorento 2.4 calls for 4.87 qts i havent changed it yet but il probably put in 5 qts. i just wont let the jug drip all out.. any one else have this motor and do this? I dont think that it would be too much.

My Mustang 4.6 calls for 6 qts. That brings it to a half qt low point and thats where it stays till the next OCI. If I fill it all the way to the full mark it will burn the half qt real quick. When I first bought the car I thought it was an oil burner till I discovered the above.

6.1 quarts. That's what the manual says, so that's what it gets. It is always over the full mark on the dipstick.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
On the Camry specs say 4.3, but 4 is full. Assume that's because not all the oil comes out on a change.
3/10ths of a quart of sludge in your sump.

I have the same situation with my Freestyle but I really don't burn any oil in an OCI. ( 6 months, anywhere from 2000-6000 miles). 6 quarts is somewhere near the middle to low in the operating range on the stick.

2AZ-FE ... 4.3L with filter change, spot on the top mark, or 4.0L wihtout filter change. also spot on.

I change oil in my cars before the winter, well 50F is cold in So Cal, and I put in about 10-15% less than capacity. In 4-5 quarts sump I put in 4.5 quarts, in 8.5 quarts sump I put in 7.5 quarts. My reasoning is engine/oil get to operating temperature quicker with less oil. In the spring/summer I add the remaining to full level, 1/2 quarts for LS400 and S2000 and 1 quart into E430.

Its always preferable to fill to design capacity. If the dipstick is off you recalibrate the stick not change the amount.

The exception to this is when you change filters or pans in which case you would use an already calibrated stick to reach the new capacity.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Irregardless
crackmeup2.gif

Put just over 5 and a half quarts in my '94 F 150 with a 5.0L. Figured I would top it off after I started it up, since it was my first OC with this truck and didn't want to overfill. The owner's manual clearly states that the sump is 5 qts and to add whatever the oil filter capacity to the 5 qts. I used the big 'ol motorcraft filter, which has got to be near a quart. The dipstick shows overfilled, but at least it is still barely below the 'do not go over this line' line. So I guess it will be 5 qts including filter from now on. Go figure---

2010 Camry (2AR-FE) takes 5 quarts exactly and its right up to the full mark.
1995 Camry (5S-FE) takes 3.8 just like every other 5S I've ever maintained.
There are many (3 in my family, another 3 customer cars, plus the thousands of oil changes I did working at the dealer.)

All are with filter:

1980 Firebird FORMULA V8/4 QTS
2001 LEXUS RX-300 3.0 V6/5 QTS
2004 NISSAN ALTIMA 2.5 S/4.5 QTS
2006 MAZDA 3 2.0L 4 cyl/ 4.5 QTS

My trucks are all 6 quarts, and it takes exactly 6 to get to the mark.

My playtoy takes 9 quarts, and since it has remote filters it can take a couple of short trips to get the sump level just right. I run it lower if it's being raced as it may smoke a bit if full to the line.

The SRT8 is supposed to take 7 but more like 6.75 or even 6.5 yields a perfect dipstick reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back