Hour meter for push mower?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a Troy Bilt push mower with the Honda GC160 engine. Never owned one of these small Honda engines and I must say, it has a lot of power and runs quietly. I am wanting to put an hour meter on it so I can keep track of maintenance intervals a little easier. Has anyone ever done this? Any specific hour meter you recommend?

There's a small solid state one that is ridiculously cheap and easy. It's used in our industry on small air cooled engines. I'm sure you can find one at any major supply house like Grainger or such.

I've got one on my Yamaha generator. It's an LCD Displayed hour meter.

It's made by briggs and stratton (any dealer will sell it).

It looks like a small LCD stick-on clock with a length of wire sticking out of it (around 10-12").

All you do is stick the meter in an appropriate place near the spark plug wire, then wrap the lead coming out of the hour meter around the spark plug wire. You might have to ground it too IIRC.

When the engine is running (spark plug sparking) the hour meter detects the spark and runs. When the engine is off, the hour meter stops. This is a water sealed unit and the battery can't be replaced. Mine's been running since spring of 2007.

They go for $18-30 on ebay.

BriggsMM.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back