What is the best hand held grease gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a reliable hand held grease gun to do my tractor, mowers, etc. Have gone thru two already, the $20 variety, and both simply don't function reliably. The one I try to use now has a good relief valve on top but that really doesn't seem to help. I get it going and half way thru it stops. Aggravating is way too mild a word.

I looked at one at Tractor Supply yesterday for about $35 that looked well built, but not sure its any better.

Do the compressor powered gease guns work any better? I'd go that route if I could be confident of it, but hate to spend the money.

Are there any such things as a reliable grease gun?

try to find a Swiss-made...Wanner brand grease gun.
I bought one way back in 1963, when i was in to sports cars. I still have it & still use it on my lawn equipment, etc.
So 48 yrs later, I would say it's a good product !

I rarely use mine much but I can never get one that gets a good amount of grease into the nipple it laways comes out the sides and gets all over the suspension components. Maybe im not using it right or something I dont know

I always get lever ones and do not have trouble. I have a pneumatic one from HF and its fine. You can get different couplers if that is all that is wrong. I have my eye on a rechargeable grease gun. Christmas is coming.

I have 3, one plain chassis grease, one marine grease, one pneumatic with plain chassis grease. Does the little one for the nose of a chainsaw count as a grease gun?

http://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-Lubrication-1134-Pistol-Grease/dp/B0002NYDZ8

Lincoln Pistol Grip, built very well and have not had a single priming problem or the grease flow ending before I was actually out of grease. Advance auto parts sells them as well if you want to order one with codes online, that's what I did.

And 4x4chevydude you probably need a new coupler, or make sure the coupler is parallel with the fitting while greasing or else it will seep out wherever there is no contact. The Lincoln couplers lock on very tight and you rarely see this problem.

Just got one of these but haven't used it yet (hopefully this weekend). Spent more than the others they had ($51) but I've seen it recommended on here before. I'll report back what i find.

My issue isnt the gun, its the fact that after a few years the grease separates and I have an oily mess in the container where the gun is stored... Even if I relieve the pressure b pulling the rod.

I dont know that any gun can solve that, can it???

I really like Alemite's line up everything from home use once a year cheap models to lifetime rebuildable guns that you could put in a will for your grand children to own.

I bought a POS electric one from Harbor Freight. DON'T get it! It is a POS! Get a descent one-hand lever action with a long hose on it.

I own a Lincoln 1134 pistol grip with the whip. Works great. Built like a tank. Hasn't ever lost its prime.

FYI, It's made in India, whip is made in Germany.

Alemite would be my first choice. Ive used there pistol grip for years without any problems. Bought a 14.4v gun about 4 years ago without any problems other than I had to buy a new battery. They are top notch IMHO. Lincoln would be my second choice. They are a fine produce as well. We've had a air grease pump for 120lb keg for about 10 years without any problems as well.

Depending on how often you use your gun it might be worth buying a battery powered gun from either Alemite or Lincoln. Pricey but very conveniente.

I bought one while I was in high school from the local CASE IH dealer. Best gun I ever used and lost it off the service truck somewhere. The ones they have now are pure junk. The one I have now from TSC is ok, it works. May pick up a Lincoln for the shop.

Originally Posted By: Scorch

Lincoln Pistol Grip, built very well and have not had a single priming problem or the grease flow ending before I was actually out of grease. Advance auto parts sells them as well if you want to order one with codes online, that's what I did.

what codes ?

Originally Posted By: Trav
I am going to buy this Australian made gun. I hear lots of good things about its quality and performance.

Grease Gun

Edit: Fix link.

Macnaught make very good gear and I use the K29 version for my chassis/ball joint/drive shaft greasing.

I've found that my grease gun woes happen when the grease in there is super thick... like when it's Cold out. When they are warm, even the cheapies get the job done just fine.

The Wolf's Head Red grease was a winner for me, as it was rarely too thick to pump.

I'm usually just greasing car ball joints and lawm mowers.

Alemite makes some of the John Deere grease guns. I just bought a hand held / pistol grip type for $36 and it was one of the very few assembled in the USA grease guns still available (rubber hose in box was Germany). I have not used it yet, but if you are looking to buy one check out your local John Deere place and you can open up the box and give it a once over. FYI the lever gun (also likely Alemite) was made in India.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back