Movie outing...EXPENSIVE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: andrewg
I'm almost in shock. Here's the deal.....my girlfriend decides to have a nice Sunday and take her six year old grandson out to see the new Dolphin Tale movie. I'm thinking what a nice inexpensive yet fun time she will have. WRONG!!! She arrives home a few hours later and tells me I'm not going to like what it cost us. I'm thinking....ok, no big deal...maybe fifteen bucks tops. NOPE! Keep in mind that she took her grandson to the early matinee showing. It cost her $7.25 to get in....and the same price for the 6 year old. Then she gets two cokes and a medium buttered popcorn. Here's the part where I almost passed out.....total cost of the movie trip for a grandma and grandson.....$32.50!!
That's just sickening. How can families even afford that? I was told that she even saw several large families in there buying loads of food and seeing the 3D version of the movie ($4 more each ticket). That must have cost them over $100 easy!
What a rip-off.

I don't pay to watch movies. I get them free at the local library. I also use free redbox codes texted to my phone once a month. I watch online if possible. I use the free birthday movie admission for regal cinema in the entertainment book once a year. I also got netflix streaming for $8/month. there are new releases on there that came only late last year. I don't feel the urge to splurge on the movie theatre experience. I used to spend the cheese for girlfriends, but I'm married now, so I don't need to impress anymore. my wife loves me just the way things are.
lol.gif

Hence why I stopped going to the movies. I used to use the Optimum rewards card for free movie Tuesdays, deal with the enormous lines for the movie and buying 2 sodas and popcorn was like $20.

Stopped doing that real quick. Money is better spent in my pocket.

Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan
Just took the kids to see "The Lion King 3D". Three tickets,three small drinks,and a small popcorn was $62.

shocked.gif
33.gif
The Lion King has been out for many years and you can watch it cheap or free.

Total Ripoff.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
Just took the kids to see "The Lion King 3D". Three tickets,three small drinks,and a small popcorn was $62.

shocked.gif
33.gif

Total Ripoff.

Yep,we actually own the original version. I'm blessed with two wonderful kids that wanted to see it in 3D. $62 is a drop in the bucket for something they were excited to see. Its not always about cheap or free.

The 3D movies is about the last straw for me now. The cost of going to the movies just keeps going up and now with the 3D option it has gotten even worse. I have a decent TV and speakers at home so I'll wait until they come out on Netflix or in the stores and then we can watch and enjoy our refreshments without having to pay an arm and a leg.

Children under 2 get in for nothing locally...but on the 3d, the fact that they are in the theatre, and not watching, they still have to pay the $2.50 3D royalty.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher

shocked.gif
33.gif

Total Ripoff.

Yep,we actually own the original version. I'm blessed with two wonderful kids that wanted to see it in 3D. $62 is a drop in the bucket for something they were excited to see. Its not always about cheap or free.

Blessings are great!
thumbsup2.gif

Ok, so you:

- Purchased the movie before.

- Perhaps paid to see it in a theater before that?

- Have it at home where it can be watched anytime.

- Then went out to spend $62 to see it again?
crazy2.gif
IMO

Maybe not you, but this is why people don't have savings & are so far in debt.

I would have done something better, like buying canned goods for a food shelf & watched at home, again.

We have a "cheap theatre" in town where the movies go after the Regal Cinema is done with them. Tickets are $2 each, and even concessions aren't expensive. You can get a medium popcorn/2 drink combo for 10 bucks. So for 15 bucks, it's a cheap date night with my wife, and we can see real movies. Last one we went to was Bridesmaids. I fell out laughing a number of times.

Movies can be a good value, even in a theatre. Just gotta shop around sometimes, and/or wait until it comes to a less expensive second-run theatre.

It's funny how many people here support "Buy American" but when it comes down to it, what's more "American" than Hollywood and movies? You should be proud of spending the extra money and having it go into your own economy.

Originally Posted By: D189379
It's funny how many people here support "Buy American" but when it comes down to it, what's more "American" than Hollywood and movies? You should be proud of spending the extra money and having it go into your own economy.

You must think all Americans are flag waving simpletons. One common trait among us (at least it used to be) is value. A good, solid product....at a fair, reasonable price.

Last edited:

You must think all Americans are flag waving simpletons. One common trait among us (at least it used to be) is value. A good, solid product....at a fair, reasonable price.

Yes, and now it is "cheap", IE, whatever is the least expensive piece of imported from China junk at Walmart.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Yes, and now it is "cheap", IE, whatever is the least expensive piece of imported from China junk at Walmart.

Unfortunately you have a point.

I know
frown.gif

Value is a motivator driven by a combination of price and quality.

Cheap is a motivator driven by price alone.

Something that is a good value may not necessarily be cheap. Something that is cheap may not necessarily be a good value.

I am waiting for Walmart to open a chain of movie theaters in which they will show Chinese movies and serve potstickers.

Home theaters can be very affordable and customizable to your wants. We haven't been to a full priced debut theater since Star Wars II. Here are some reasons why:

-We watch movies at home because we have kids. I wouldn't want to be rude to others.
-No blocked views from the ignorant huge person in front of my little kid
-Unlimited popcorn and other refreshments of our choosing at human prices
-bathroom breaks anytime, no one misses anything.
-No people talking ruining the movie.
-start/end times are fully customizable, even split movie times.
-better sound/picture than most theaters
-cost of home theater paid for itself in very short time, less than a few months.
-reruns are free.
-totally comfortable viewing positions from seated to lying down with a blanket with perfect ambient temperature.
-no parking or driving or gas consumption to deal with (other than picking up the DVD)
-no line ups

Sure, there is something to be said for good theater experience, but practicality is the sound of reason for me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I am waiting for Walmart to open a chain of movie theaters in which they will show Chinese movies and serve potstickers.

Umm, potstickers.

It cost her $7.25 to get in....and the same price for the 6 year old. Then she gets two cokes and a medium buttered popcorn. Here's the part where I almost passed out.....total cost of the movie trip for a grandma and grandson.....$32.50!!

So the 2 cokes and medium popcorn cost $18? wow
That's where they make their money for sure

Originally Posted By: tonycarguy
It cost her $7.25 to get in....and the same price for the 6 year old. Then she gets two cokes and a medium buttered popcorn. Here's the part where I almost passed out.....total cost of the movie trip for a grandma and grandson.....$32.50!!

So the 2 cokes and medium popcorn cost $18? wow
That's where they make their money for sure

Yep. Even so....charging a 6 year old $7.25 for a matinee seems a bit high. And when a grandma takes a little grandson out to a movie and the kid wants a coke and some popcorn....well...what are ya gonna do....say no? Lesson learned though. Next time she will bring some food and drink into the theater from home (unless she gets a TSA style search).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back