Ballistol

Status
Not open for further replies.
i like it as an easy to use coating on stuff - seems to do OK on wood too... As a cleaner Ive not really used it, but rather as an after-coating.

Those that have used Ballistol exclusively for several years will tell you that the more you use it the easier it is to clean your guns. Ballistol seems to leave some sort of coating on the metal surfaces and it takes time for this to develop. It's like the carbon coating on a well-used cast iron frying pan: It takes forever to develop, but once it's there you've essentially got a non-stick surface.

The problem is, if you use any solvents or petroleum based products in addition to Ballistol, this coating never develops and you never get the benefits.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN
The problem is, if you use any solvents or petroleum based products in addition to Ballistol, this coating never develops and you never get the benefits.
These days with SO MANY product choices out there - this can easily occur. I tend to prefer a dedicated bore cleaner in conjunction with a separate anti-corrosion step/product. +1 on the Eezox with blued guns - a very nice end result if you prefer a dry surface.

Quote:
Ballistol seems to leave some sort of coating on the metal surfaces and it takes time for this to develop.

This is the main reason I use Weapon Shield. It gets easier and easier to clean the gun the more you use it.

So after solid season of shooting my Ballistol can sits unused.

I've gone through 2 32 oz bottles of MPro7, a couple quarts of Hoppe's, 2 cans of WD-40 (use it for rinsing), a case of Amsoil MP, a can of Amsoil spray grease, a can of Amsoil silicone spray.

Ballistol sucks. Stinks. Doesn't clean, gets gummy. No good for slides. I don't see the point.

Eezox has a chlorinated ester in it, there is an entire category type of steel corrosion called Chloride Stress Corrosion Cracking - CSCC, that is attributable to chlorine / chlorine esters interacting with steel.

http://www.corrosionist.com/what_is_chloride_stress_corrosion_cracking.htm

Chlorine esters also make great cleaners - carbon tet was a really powerful cleaner / degreaser.

Eezox has trichloroethylene. Two carbon atoms with 3 chlorine atoms and a hydrogen atom hanging one of the carbon atoms. Eezox has said that there isn't enough Trichloroethylene in it's gun cleaner to cause corrsion, but from what I've read, very small amouts of chlorine or chlorinated ester is can cause corrsion - especially if you're dealing with a stainless steel firearm.

So anyway, there are so many products out there that have no chlorinated esters in them what so ever - I don't feel the need to use Eezox.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

I've gone through 2 32 oz bottles of MPro7, a couple quarts of Hoppe's, 2 cans of WD-40 (use it for rinsing), a case of Amsoil MP, a can of Amsoil spray grease, a can of Amsoil silicone spray.

Ballistol sucks. Stinks. Doesn't clean, gets gummy. No good for slides. I don't see the point.

I have had good luck with Ballistol on my older mil surp guns where I shoot corrosive ammo. It works good on keeping my bores rust free and the exterior surfaces as well. Its good stuff for what I have used it for. And compared to other gun chemicals, the very anise like smell is very spouse friendly. Compared to Ed's Red, it never got me kicked out to the garage.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

I'll take those off your hands for ya...

Originally Posted By: Count
Eezox has a chlorinated ester in it, there is an entire category type of steel corrosion called Chloride Stress Corrosion Cracking - CSCC, that is attributable to chlorine / chlorine esters interacting with steel.
Eezox has said that there isn't enough Trichloroethylene in it's gun cleaner to cause corrsion, but from what I've read, very small amouts of chlorine or chlorinated ester is can cause corrsion - especially if you're dealing with a stainless steel firearm.

Susceptible materials require almost no Chlorine to undergo SCC.

I've seen some T22 (2-1/4Cr, 1 Mo) steel fabrications that were field welded, and the splash from the ground when it rained during fabrication was enough to initiate SCC.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Count
Eezox has said that there isn't enough Trichloroethylene in it's gun cleaner to cause corrsion, but from what I've read, very small amouts of chlorine or chlorinated ester is can cause corrsion - especially if you're dealing with a stainless steel firearm.

Susceptible materials require almost no Chlorine to undergo SCC.

I've seen some T22 (2-1/4Cr, 1 Mo) steel fabrications that were field welded, and the splash from the ground when it rained during fabrication was enough to initiate SCC.

Not to mention the fact that chlorine based cutting/forming oils are very common. I think he's overdoing the internet article he read.

The key to Ballistol is to use it on a clean or new gun - and then keep using it to safely clean , lube and protect your firearms . I have a Glock 17 & a SS Ruger Mark III and using Ballistol I know these guns are going to be safe from overly strong chemicals .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back