1980 Cub Cadet 782 w/ 17HP Kohler oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I inherited a 1980 Cub Cadet 782 w/ a 17 HP Kohler engine. It is the original engine and it has approx. 2000 hours on it. It runs great, and doesn't smoke or backfire when running. My question is, what oil would you put in this motor? I need to change the fluids and air filter. It does NOT have an oil filter. What are some suggestions and why?

Another question would be.....How often would you change the oil in this application? I have never owned a small tractor before, and it was my grandfather's, who passed away. So, this application is new territory for me.

Sounds like your grandfather took very good care of that Engine. Did he leave the oil he was using at the mower storage location? I live in Florida, so for me it's straight 30W Oil for small engines year round. Best for maximun heat dissapation on air cooled engines. Some use a multi-grade 10-30W especially up north when small engines go into winter usage. So I would recommend straight 30W for the mowing season. And most important, run the engine for two minutes at idle after coming down from full power, as it helps to cool down the combustion area evenly. It can only help with engine longevity. If the engine does not have an oil filter, I would change the oil two or three times per season as a minimum.

Originally Posted By: Rick65
Sounds like your grandfather took very good care of that Engine. Did he leave the oil he was using at the mower storage location? I live in Florida, so for me it's straight 30W Oil for small engines year round. Best for maximun heat dissapation on air cooled engines. Some use a multi-grade 10-30W especially up north when small engines go into winter usage. So I would recommend straight 30W for the mowing season. And most important, run the engine for two minutes at idle after coming down from full power, as it helps to cool down the combustion area evenly. It can only help with engine longevity. If the engine does not have an oil filter, I would change the oil two or three times per season as a minimum.

+1 30W or 10W-30 in Rotella. The zinc in it should be good for the older engine design and it's shown good uoa in mowers, generator and tractors.

I am pretty sure he was using Pennzoil Yellow Bottle 10w40 in it. There were a couple quarts of that sitting in the garage with it. I am thinking about using Rotella T 15w40 or Rotella T6 5w40 in it. Most other forums are saying change the oil every 50 hours. I guess I will try that schedule out.

Yes on 10-30W Rotella by engine manufacturers specs, especially if under warranty. Understand 15-40W is becoming popular for summer season. I still prefer straight 30W for my older engines and the yearound mowing.

Rotella is good. 15W 40 would seem fine, but 5W 40 seems more in line with winter cold starting issues. I think the cool down is the most important part of engine longevity. I would though shorten my oil change frequency. My mower is on a 50 hour oil change, but has a filter.

I have 2 riders both with Kohler K series motors (12hp & 16hp) I use Rotella 15W-40 year round (including winter plowing snow) and both motors are in great shape. The manual calls for 30W SG-SH changed every 25hr service. My mowers spent most their life (since the late 70's) on the straight 30W, the 15W-40 seems fine and no problems the last 3 years

BTW, my manual says not to use multi-viscosity due to oil consumption and combustion chamber deposits.

Last edited:
I use Rotella 15W-40 without an issue in a number of small engines, even in sub zero weather.

Last winter I used my JD 210 a few times to push some light snow, and it had no trouble starting at sub zero temperatures with 15W-40 in it.

If you use the tractor year round change it twice a year (spring and fall). If you don't use it year round just change it once a year.

I assume that 17hp Kohler is a Magnum series horizontally opposed flat-head?

Those are rich running, fuel slurping beasts, but do last forever with reasonable care.

Because of the fuel dilution and the way they blacken the oil, I'd run decent, but inexpensive 15w40 and change it every ~30hrs or so. If cold weather starting is a problem, use 5w30.

Joel

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rick65
Yes on 10-30W Rotella by engine manufacturers specs, especially if under warranty. Understand 15-40W is becoming popular for summer season. I still prefer straight 30W for my older engines and the yearound mowing.

It sure helps to read the post first---states vintage = 1980,
how would a warranty ever fits into this post??

I ended up going with Rotella T5 Synthetic Blend 10w30. I purchased a 5 quart jug, so, I should have enough for at least the next three OCI's as it takes 1.5 quarts. If it seems to work out, I will continue to use this oil. I only am going to use the tractor 3 seasons, and it will sit for the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back