Movie outing...EXPENSIVE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Patman
At some of the movie theaters here, if you go during the peak time you'll pay $12 per person, and don't even get me started on the food, it's generally about $5 for a large popcorn and $5 for a large drink. So you can easily pay $90 for a family of four to see a movie!

My gosh! I feel sorry for families these days. I guess a night at the movies is better done at home.

We rarely go to the movies, and for a family of five it's over a hundred dollars a pop. Hence why we don't go often. In the summer we often go to the Drive in down the street which is much cheaper and better value- 2 movies for the price of 1.

unless its a movie im dying to see or i have free movie tickets to something that peaks my interest. I really dont care for going. I have never bought any food or drinks at the theaters either, id rather go somewhere nice to eat at those prices.

Somebody answer me...........

What is it... WHY do people pay outrageous prices & buy popcorn, drinks, etc. for a movie? Can't people go 2 hours without eating? Really?

When I used to go, I'd never, ever get ripped off like that.

Walk in. Watch. Walk out. What's the deal?

Take your kids to the Disneyland car park, and let them experience Disneyland without the expense.

Park over the road from the drive in !

edit

Last edited:
I havent been comfortable in a theater seat or A Fenway Park bleacher seat in ages. To pay to be tortured by a too small seat where I cant stretch my legs is not worth a first run movie. I am 6'even, and 230 dressed, BTW

It's hard to believe that when I was a kid, nobody had AC, so we'd spend the hottest days at the movie theater, where we'd see a cheap matinee, drink a soda, and maybe have a hot dog or some popcorn. From the ages of 10 - 16, I think I saw pretty much every movie that came out and did so on my paper route and minimum wage salary. Doing the same thing today would probably require a second mortgage.

Today, we go to the movies maybe once a year and only for very visual movies (Star Trek, Avatar, etc.). Other than that, it's just not worth the price or dealing with obnoxious people in the audience.

Wife and I go to the 4-6pm matinee $5 each $12 for one lg popcorn & drink we share, includes one refill of each but we seldom need it. For people in the evening its $9 a ticket.

What realy bleww my mind is when I checked on baseball tickets for our playoffs here in Detroit $113 for standing room only and up to $500 for a seat, if they make it to the world series the tickets start at $500 and go up to$5200!!!

Originally Posted By: tpitcher

What is it... WHY do people pay outrageous prices & buy popcorn, drinks, etc. for a movie? Can't people go 2 hours without eating? Really?

Part of the "movie going experience" is having the popcorn though, I'm sure a lot of people agree that the popcorn you get in the movie theaters tastes better than anything you can make yourself at home.

When my ex wife and I first started dating we would go to the movies every single week (sometimes twice a week), and to save money we wouldn't always get popcorn, but when our son was born and he was old enough to take him to the movies, we would only go about once every few months and would always get popcorn since it's just part of the entire experience, IMO.

The last time I saw a movie was back in August, I saw the movie Horrible Bosses and even though it was a Saturday night I found a decent theater that only charged $8. My friends and I already ate before we got there, so that movie night was inexpensive.

Haven't been to a movie in at least 10 years, so can't comment on movies. But wife and I were planning to go to State HS Band Competition at the Lucus Oil Stadinum in Indy. They want $20 bucks to get in the door, plus parking. By the time gas is encluded both ways its over 100 bucks to watch 15 minutes of local HS Band, and thats not encluding eats.

Take a wild guess who's not going.

The last time I was at the movies was about 2 years ago. I don't know why I even bother to go. No matter what kind of a movie it is, if it's playing in one of those megaplexes, it is bound to be showing the garbage churned out of Hollywood for mass audiences. It certainly is a waste of time and money. I prefer to go to the zoo or museums when taking out kids on a weekend for an intellectually challenging trip.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
The last time I was at the movies was about 2 years ago. I don't know why I even bother to go. No matter what kind of a movie it is, if it's playing in one of those megaplexes, it is bound to be showing the garbage churned out of Hollywood for mass audiences. It certainly is a waste of time and money. I prefer to go to the zoo or museums when taking out kids on a weekend for an intellectually challenging trip.

I hear you....that's why I rarely go myself. The last movie I went to was '2012' (wanted to see it on a theater screen for full effect). And you are correct about most films being garbage. I'll go further and say they are not so much garbage but more like propaganda. Sad thing is that many people soak it all up like a sponge and become exactly like what the film makers want them to become. Hollywood and the mega-structure surrounding it influences millions of people. It's funny how you can go to any college and find classes about the Nazi propaganda machine during the 30's and 40's....yet no mention of what is going on today with Hollywood. Sad really.
Anyway....my girlfriend just wanted to take the grandchild out and have a good time watching a kids movie. Perhaps next time I will suggest she go to the park or just take him out for ice cream.

Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: tpitcher

Part of the "movie going experience" is having the popcorn though, I'm sure a lot of people agree that the popcorn you get in the movie theaters tastes better than anything you can make yourself at home.

When my ex wife and I first started dating we would go to the movies every single week (sometimes twice a week), and to save money we wouldn't always get popcorn, but when our son was born and he was old enough to take him to the movies, we would only go about once every few months and would always get popcorn since it's just part of the entire experience, IMO.

The last time I saw a movie was back in August, I saw the movie Horrible Bosses and even though it was a Saturday night I found a decent theater that only charged $8. My friends and I already ate before we got there, so that movie night was inexpensive.

Hummm. I can experience the movie just as well without popcorn, actually better because I'm not looking down at the bag or getting a napkin.

This stuff actually takes the concentration away. Thus a waste of not only money, but concentration!

First, +1 to JHZR2's comments. I won't get started, I promise!

To take this thread in a *slightly* different path, I remember not that long ago before marriage when I dated my now wife and it didn't cost nearly as much as it does today. For the record, we still date, but we rarely do movies.

I really feel for people wanting to go out and do the same stuff as their parents did, but can't afford to. It's understandable that a movie might be expensive today, but I remember we used to go to the "dollar theater" all the time or the drive-in. Now, there's neither of those available. Apparently, it's now a monopoly.

I don't see any harm spending $32 once in a while on your grandchild. There is good chance he will take care of his grandma when she is old.

Originally Posted By: Billy007
I don't see any harm spending $32 once in a while on your grandchild. There is good chance he will take care of his grandma when she is old.

Of course. I think this thread is more about what you get for that $32.

I haven't been to the movies in years. Last time I went and took the wife...it was a bad experience......noisy kids....theater was a mess.

I wait for the DVD now or catch it on PPV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back