Does mineral oil have a Ph?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read on gun forums that mineral oil isn't a good cleaner because it has an acidic Ph?

I didn't know oils even had a Ph.

Rem Oil is basically mineral oil from what I understand and lots of people swear by it for cleaning.

I've been using my own concoction for cleaning

1/3 Catrol Dexron VII - ATF
1/3 Mineral oil
1/3 Mobil 1 0-W30 motor oil

I was using straight ATF and it's an OK cleaner. Rem Oil is basically mineral oil and a lot of people swear by it. A lot of people use Mobil 1 and say it's great, so I combined all three.

It works OK.

I clean with the Mineral oil / ATF / Mobile 1 concoction, but then I make sure I get it all off. I don't want the mineral oil mix left on the pistol. Then I lube with Mobil 1.

Last edited:
Mineral oil can't have a pH, and firearms and other steel stuff did well for ages before synthetics.

Something to keep in mind, and it blows my mind, is that you can store 98% sulfuric acid in an unlined mild steel container. Add water, and the tank dissolves.

The mineral based oil may have contaminants that react with steel in the presence of water/humidity, and "purer" synthetics may not.

I'm what's known in the industry as a "ruster", leaving rust finger prints in guns, polished steel items, and unprotected surfaces...any gun oil (and WD-40 etc) seems strong enough to stop it happening.

You two guys stay away from my car!...
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Count

Rem Oil is basically mineral oil from what I understand and lots of people swear by it for cleaning.

Really? I've never spoken to anyone who uses Rem Oil for cleaning. I use the little 6 oz. pump bottle with VCI for spritz on light protection. It actually works pretty good to fog the safe.

Also I thought Rem oil is more than just mineral oil. It claims to contain Teflon lubricant and volatile corrosion inhibitors (VCI) (at least the VCI version does). I certainly would not use it for cleaning or as a slide, moving wear part lubricant.

I do see that Rem Oil has DuPont Formula VZ704 in it - although I'm not sure there enough Teflon there to make a difference.

It seems to be mostly mineral spirits and aliphatic petroluem distilate.

I know "mineral oil" is a loose and inprescise term. But I've heard it said so often that Rem Oil is basically mineral oil that I guess I just accepted it.

Remington does market it as a cleaner, moisture displacer and lubricant.

OK, well maybe Rem Oil is more of a name of a family of gun care products because there is another Rem Oil that only has 4 ingredients, at least in aerosol form:

http://www.remington.com/~/media/Files/MSDS/MSDS-RemOil_Aerosol.ashx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back