Antisieze and caliper grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering if it wouldn't be a good idea to coat the slide pins with antisieze then grease them up good with caliper grease. I don't know that it would give any benefit, but it just seems cool to me.
grin.gif

Would there be any disadvantages? I know it has metal in it - I'm thinking this might not be good.

Seems like antisieze might be good mixed with some types of grease for some applications. Maybe not.

I use the 3M copper antiseize & brake lubricant.
Great stuff, for only $15 can.

but putting antiseize then caliper grease will inhibit the effectiveness of the antiseize. Personally.. use one or the other.

Antiseize is mainly for stationary applications. It can harden over time. Grease is mainly for moving applications. I'd use only a proper brake grease product.

Originally Posted By: Silver
I'm wondering if it wouldn't be a good idea to coat the slide pins with antisieze then grease them up good with caliper grease.

This is not good idea. You should use one grease. If you want Grease & anti-size, please be sure that the grease will not attack the seals of caliper pins. Examples: Molykote AS-880N (silicone oil based); SLIPKOTE 998G SYNARAMIC DISC BRAKE CALIPER GREASE (Polyalkylene Glycol oil based).

Originally Posted By: Ken2
It can harden over time.

NO, it depends of type thickener. If you use cheap lithium soap or clay thickener (general in industry), then anti-seize will harden absolutely.

Last edited:
After years of trial, I have settled on Molykote M77, which (of course) is very expensive.

But any good brake application approved grease will do. But no, not "antiseize".

For slide pins I always use SIL GLYDE now.
I had a bad experience with that garbage Permatex green stuff.
SIL GLYDE works like a charm, and did for my father too, when he was in the trade. Only way to go.

Molykote M 77 is a lithium thickened silicone grease with MoS2 particles. This is little different from greases that have MoS2 mixed in them, yet we don't call those greases antiseize. It's just semantics at this point.

Originally Posted By: Konst
Originally Posted By: Ken2
It can harden over time.

NO, it depends of type thickener. If you use cheap lithium soap or clay thickener (general in industry), then anti-seize will harden absolutely.
Huh? I was referring to antiseize. I've had it harden, and parts that the guy before me slathered with NeverSeez were stuck. They could be easily loosened with tools, but didn't move in operation as they were intended to move.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Molykote M 77 is a lithium thickened silicone grease with MoS2 particles. This is little different from greases that have MoS2 mixed in them, yet we don't call those greases antiseize. It's just semantics at this point.

Molykote M 77 is Moly Anti-Seize (60% Moly) which prevents seizing and galling of metal parts.
Types of Anti-Seize: copper, zinc, aluminum, nickel, moly, graphite, ceramic, another non-metallic, etc.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
For slide pins I always use SIL GLYDE now.
I had a bad experience with that garbage Permatex green stuff.
SIL GLYDE works like a charm, and did for my father too, when he was in the trade. Only way to go.

What happened?

I agree that anti seize is not for moving parts.
Lets face it, even water will work for a short time as a lube, but it is hardly suitable!

I use CRC synthetic brake caliper grease to lubricate the guide pins. It's compatible with high temperature brake applications and won't harm the rubber boots.

+1, The cheap stuff, (non-synth. green brake lube packets) can turn to dust and seize the pins in under 10k miles. My 2000 Firebird did this consistently until I got CRC black synth. brake lube. I never had another problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back