Mobil Super synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I have been hiding under a rock for awhile and its been out for some time but I was at Stewarts tonight picking up some ice cream ("Death By Chocolate", on sale) and saw they had Mobil Super in synthetic. So what is this oil in comparison to Mobil 1?

Last edited:
Different additive pack. It really depends on the application and what kind of oil you like. If you were a M1 user I wouldn't change. M1 SS is basically "Mobil's QSUD". QSUD is a cheaper alternative to PP or PU, M1 SS is a cheaper alternative to M1 or M1 EP.

Last edited:
I thought I read here or maybe even on Mobil's website that they uase different base oil blend than Mobil 1(?)

I can't see the base stocks being different....though I'm betting that M1 has a much stronger add pack than the SS.

I would think that the Super Syn is more for the 5-7k user.

I'm considering some SS myself since I can't seem to get a M1 OCI past 6k.....

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
M1 SS is basically "Mobil's QSUD".
I like the analogy, makes total sense....though, I do not like the "M1 SS" verbage
wink.gif
Nowhere on the bottle is there a "1" in the product name.

That being said, yes they are completely different formulas....at a more budget friendly price point for people who want "synthetic" but don't want to pay the hefty price for "true" synthetic I guess :p

That aside, my local WM does not carry that Mobil Super Synthetic
smile.gif

Mobil Super Synthetic is a synthetic oil. The base stock of this oil must be very good since they have a 0W-20 in their lineup of oils.

From what I've read on BITOG, in order to produce a 0W-20 synthetic oil you need very good base stock oil.

IMO...this oil is a replacement for Mobil Super 7500 which was hard to find at any retail establishment in the past.

IMO...this oil, like all oils, states that it is compatible with all synthetic and conventional oils.

So maybe Mobil Super Synthetic might be a great oil to mix in a 60/40 blend with some Delvac Super, Diesel Dino, 15W-40, for a long summer run in a Gasoline Engine?

Last edited:
Not to get OT, but how about Mobil Special, like seen at Target's in place of Formula Shell(after SM was clearanced)? How does that stack up? conventional or syn?

Well there is no price point involved if you are buying it at Stewarts rather than WM. There you were on a trip to see the leaves and realized you needed oil and will pay anything for a QT.
The question was more out of curiosity. I did not plan to switch from PU.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Well there is no price point involved if you are buying it at Stewarts rather than WM. There you were on a trip to see the leaves and realized you needed oil and will pay anything for a QT.
The question was more out of curiosity. I did not plan to switch from PU.

Pretty hard to switch from PU when its only $22 for a 5 quart container at Walmart...

All you have to do is go to their website and read the FAQ page.

Quote:
8. What’s the difference between Mobil 1 and Mobil Super Synthetic?
Mobil 1 is part of our ultimate line of advanced full synthetics. It uses the latest in additive and base oil technologies that provide superior protection, and outperforms Mobil Super Synthetic. It meets both GM’s stringent dexos1™* and Europe’s ACEA performance standards. More car builders recommend Mobil 1 by name than any other motor oil brand in the world. More NASCAR® drivers use Mobil 1 than any other motor oil brands. Mobil 1 has provided exceptional performance throughout its nearly 40-year history and stands alone as The World’s Leading Synthetic Motor Oil Brand.

Mobil Super Synthetic is a full synthetic that uses synthetic-base oils. It outperforms our conventional and synthetic blend products. It meets or exceeds the latest industry requirements, GF-5 /API SN. The product offers performance consistent with many synthetics in the market.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan

Pretty hard to switch from PU when its only $22 for a 5 quart container at Walmart...

$18.75 at the WM here last week...

Originally Posted By: buster
All you have to do is go to their website and read the FAQ page.

Quote:
8. What’s the difference between Mobil 1 and Mobil Super Synthetic?
Mobil 1 is part of our ultimate line of advanced full synthetics. It uses the latest in additive and base oil technologies that provide superior protection, and outperforms Mobil Super Synthetic. It meets both GM’s stringent dexos1™* and Europe’s ACEA performance standards. More car builders recommend Mobil 1 by name than any other motor oil brand in the world. More NASCAR® drivers use Mobil 1 than any other motor oil brands. Mobil 1 has provided exceptional performance throughout its nearly 40-year history and stands alone as The World’s Leading Synthetic Motor Oil Brand.

Mobil Super Synthetic is a full synthetic that uses synthetic-base oils. It outperforms our conventional and synthetic blend products. It meets or exceeds the latest industry requirements, GF-5 /API SN. The product offers performance consistent with many synthetics in the market.

In other words, unless your engine is hard on oil or you plan to run M1 for an extended drain(like 10k), you can run your Super Synthetic to 5-7k with a good filter and sleep well at night.

And save 7 bucks a jug too......

Donald,

I was a Mobil 1 user for a long time and enjoyed it to the max BUT now the price per quart is getting up there now and so I decided to try Mobil' Super Synthetic" in 5W-30 for my Durango.
It's fits my pocket book/$5.49/quart and the website tells me it's good for 7500 miles of usage. More than enough for me. M1, and all the other name brands are easily $8.98 per quart and so unless my employer gives me a raise I'll just stick to Super Synthetic. PEAK oil synthetic is priced a few cents lower than Super so it's comparable but I don't trust PEAK yet. Mobil is a safe bet for me now. Bye Bye Mobil 1.... Your were good to me but now your too high.

Durango

Originally Posted By: Durango
M1, and all the other name brands are easily $8.98 per quart and so unless my employer gives me a raise I'll just stick to Super Synthetic.

???? Just buy WalMart jugs of M1.

Originally Posted By: Greggy_D
Originally Posted By: Durango
M1, and all the other name brands are easily $8.98 per quart and so unless my employer gives me a raise I'll just stick to Super Synthetic.

???? Just buy WalMart jugs of M1.

Greggy_D,

Yeah I saw those jugs at PEP BOYS as well but I didn't have much time to figure out/divide the price and compare to each quart of M1. I'll be heading back there anyway this coming weekend to change out my headlight bulbs so I can get more time. Anyway I still happy with my Mobul "Super Synthetic" purchase....it'll get me by until the next scheduled service easily.

Durango

Why sweat the small stuff....if it's name is Mobil....and your a Mobil Fan.....the Super Synthetic oil is a super deal for 7.5K.

IMO...lots of people run Mobil 1 and Mobil 1, EP for a 5K OCI.

So now these people, who make the short runs with Mobil 1, can sleep well and eat well knowing that they have a quality Mobil product in their vehicle for 5K....and some money left in their pocket for food and drink.

IMO....Mobil SS in 0W-20 must be made with some real quality base stock oil to run for 7.5K miles. I've yet to see any QSUD, PP, PU in 0W-20 at a reasonable price. So go for it and be happy!

Originally Posted By: bigdawg74
Originally Posted By: Boss302fan

$18.75 at the WM here last week...
I hate you guys...it's $24.95 here...

Originally Posted By: mongo161
Why sweat the small stuff....if it's name is Mobil....and your a Mobil Fan.....the Super Synthetic oil is a super deal for 7.5K.

IMO...lots of people run Mobil 1 and Mobil 1, EP for a 5K OCI.

So now these people, who make the short runs with Mobil 1, can sleep well and eat well knowing that they have a quality Mobil product in their vehicle for 5K....and some money left in their pocket for food and drink.

IMO....Mobil SS in 0W-20 must be made with some real quality base stock oil to run for 7.5K miles. I've yet to see any QSUD, PP, PU in 0W-20 at a reasonable price. So go for it and be happy!

+1

Hello BITOG, long-time lurker and first-time poster here; thanks for having me.

A question:

Originally Posted By: mongo161
Mobil Super Synthetic is a synthetic oil. The base stock of this oil must be very good since they have a 0W-20 in their lineup of oils.

From what I've read on BITOG, in order to produce a 0W-20 synthetic oil you need very good base stock oil.

IMO...this oil is a replacement for Mobil Super 7500 which was hard to find at any retail establishment in the past.

IMO...this oil, like all oils, states that it is compatible with all synthetic and conventional oils.

So maybe Mobil Super Synthetic might be a great oil to mix in a 60/40 blend with some Delvac Super, Diesel Dino, 15W-40, for a long summer run in a Gasoline Engine?

I haven't before heard of such a thing. Does anyone have any more information or primers on mixing oils as described? Does anyone have any input on the matter? And lastly, has anyone done it with the Jeep 4.0?

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back