What brand/size floor jack and jack stands?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any suggestions on what to get. I have a minivan and station wagon, nothing extra heavy. I don't want to buy anything cheap that will break after 1 year but I also don't want to shell out more than $150. I see that Sears Craftman gets mixed reviews. What about Pro-Lift and other brands?

Last edited:
I have a Craftsman jack I got as a gift. It's worked for me for a couple years, but it has horrible reviews on the website for the pump failing.

Frankly, unless you spend big $$$, they're all going to be Chinese and probably all from only a few factories. I try not to buy Chinese tools, but my next jack will be from Harbor Freight. They have a 3 ton on sale right now for $79.99.

http://www.harborfreight.com/rapid-pump-3-ton-heavy-duty-floor-jack-68048.html

Car magazines almost always have HF coupons for floor jacks, too. A recent issue of Motor Trend has a coupon for this jack for $69.99.

http://www.harborfreight.com/rapid-pump-15-ton-compact-aluminum-racing-jack-68053-html-7814.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/rapid-pump-15-ton-lightweight-aluminum-racing-jack-68054.html

I have this jack, i can lift my Chevy Silverado off the ground with it (a corner at a time of course).. its not high end, but it works just fine.. my only complaint is the handle im 185lbs andwhen applying pressure to the handle i have been able to put all my body weight on it (to achieve the last bit of lift) and the handle will flex/bounce a bit.. its not a deal breaker.. just passing it along

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
http://www.harborfreight.com/rapid-pump-15-ton-lightweight-aluminum-racing-jack-68054.html

I have this jack, i can lift my Chevy Silverado off the ground with it (a corner at a time of course).. its not high end, but it works just fine.. my only complaint is the handle im 185lbs andwhen applying pressure to the handle i have been able to put all my body weight on it (to achieve the last bit of lift) and the handle will flex/bounce a bit.. its not a deal breaker.. just passing it along

Try topping it off with jack oil. Or at least check.

I bought this Ranger/Bend-Pak racing jack from Automotive Service Equipment, and while it is $70 over your budget - it is well made and serviceable. $214 shipped.

It has been under my BMW for a week now and hasn't moved at all. they sent me the wrong part for the car and am waiting to install the right one.

Best jack I have ever used.

Originally Posted By: ffracer
I bought this Ranger/Bend-Pak racing jack from Automotive Service Equipment, and while it is $70 over your budget - it is well made and serviceable. $214 shipped.

It has been under my BMW for a week now and hasn't moved at all. they sent me the wrong part for the car and am waiting to install the right one.

Best jack I have ever used.

You're using a jack to support your vehicle?
shocked.gif

Originally Posted By: cadfaeltex
Follow on question (i.e. highjack): what does spending more get you? If I had a larger budget, what would I get over the HF units?

In many cases it gets you an aluminum one. Even the HF ones are rapid pump, so 3 pumps should do it. A bigger footprint?

The question I ask myself is why not just use a bottle jack vs a floor jack?

Originally Posted By: Donald

Ok, I'll bite. Why not use a bottle jack? What does a floor jack do that a bottle jack doesn't?

Also saw when I searched, for big bucks you can get a toe jack. Didn't look like it was much different but could lift 6 or 10 tons.

Originally Posted By: cadfaeltex
Originally Posted By: Donald

Ok, I'll bite. Why not use a bottle jack? What does a floor jack do that a bottle jack doesn't?

Also saw when I searched, for big bucks you can get a toe jack. Didn't look like it was much different but could lift 6 or 10 tons.

Lower profile?

I have one of the bigger, older 3 ton floor jacks from Sears. It works great and has done so for close to 20 years now. I'm not sure who made it for them, but I'd buy another identical one if I could.

Why use a floor jack and not a bottle jack?

Stability (larger footprint)
Longer stroke/lift
Less pumping
Integrated release by twisting handle vs. the relief valve on a bottle jack

Do I really need to go on?

Originally Posted By: musicmanbass
Why use a floor jack and not a bottle jack?

Stability (larger footprint)
Longer stroke/lift
Less pumping
Integrated release by twisting handle vs. the relief valve on a bottle jack

Do I really need to go on?

I agree with everything you have said, except maybe the release. My Sears floor jack has a release valve you twist like you would on a bottle jack.

But there are some "pros" for a bottle jack:
1) cheaper for same lifting weight
2) you can adjust a bottle jack up so it starts to lift quickly
3) a floor jack needs to move some while its doing the lifting. Not a problem is you are on a concrete floor. It is a problem on pavement or on a piece of cheap plywood over a gravel drive.

Last edited:
All jacks will need to move a little bit, as when lifting a long object from one side, it does not go straight up, but with a slight arc. Floor jacks with wheels move so they are always centered properly under load. Bottle jacks don't do this. When lifting a car with a lot of suspension travel you are at a real risk of the jack tipping and jumping out from under the car. Just hope you aren't under it if/when that happens.

My history with jacks is as a structural mover. I've worked with everything from 1 ton bottle jacks to unified jacking systems lifting entire hotel buildings on the beaches of Miami, Florida as well as the moving of the Cape Hatteras lighthouse in North Carolina.

Sure, bottle jacks are cheaper. I have five or six in my garage right now. I will never use one to lift a car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back