Has anyone used Castrol Edge w/ Titanium SN 0w20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that at least a few people don't like the SN version of this oil on paper. But, has anyone actually used it or had an UOA done?

I had it in my gf's car for around 2 months before a tree fell on it. Thanks for bring up such a painful memory, ya jerk.
48.gif

Originally Posted By: Cooper
But, has anyone actually used it or had an UOA done?

Why? It's better to make assumptions on how an oil will perform based on metallic additives that show up in a $25 uoa and the manufacturer's product data sheet.
48.gif
banana2.gif

-Dennis

Hey Cooper:
Im using it right now in my wifes Honda CRV. It runns smooth and does well. I put the 5w-20 in it and it likes it. Because of BITOG I think I will be going to PYB on the next change because I have to change the oil a lot, and because she does a lot of very short distance comuting and we have a lot of moisture out here in Vancouver. Ive run Castrol products for the past 30+ years and have all ways liked them. Good luck with your choice. Rick

I'll be putting it in my Focus tomorrow. 2011 Focus with 9600 miles. I figure the 0w-20 will be better for the cold starts and short trips I do in the winter.

Nothing wrong with the Castrol Edge 0W-20 per se, it's just that it's cold start performance is uncompetitive for the grade.
It's still better than most 5W-20s in that regard, and if you can if you can get it for under 5 bucks a quart it's not bad particularly if you're not doing a lot of cold starts.

I will probably try it in three OCI's. I have two worth of SM Edge 0w20, but then I think I will try the SN to see if there is any difference in feel, butt dino, MPG's, engine noise, etc.

The SN formulation is more than 30% heavier at room temperature and over 50% heavier at 0C vs the old SM formula.
So this will be a test of how accurate your "butt dino" actually is more than than anything else.

Well, considering that I never drive my cars more than 3k RPM's before they warm up, I don't think that will be the case in the butt dino "test".

I have Castrol Edge W/Titanium SN 0W20 in the car now. Ran Mobil 1 0W20 AFE last change and sample was sent to Blackstone last week. Will post Mobil 1 results when I get them back.

I think it's quieter. Could be a placebo effect I guess. I have actually noticed a slight mpg increase too with the Castrol 0W20. It's only been a couple hundred miles so far, so I guess only time will tell if that stays the same.

Just finished a 5k run with it in the wife's Camry. Changing to M1 afe 0w20 today. I didn't notice much of a difference between the 2. (M1 was my last fill before the edge) The Camry is just so quiet and refined, it's hard to tell the difference. I've been more conservative in my driving lately, but sometimes I bring it up to 5 or 6 grand between shifts if i'm feeling playful. (it's a stick with the 2.5)
Anyway, i'll try to make an observation of the differences today, and report back later.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back