best oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
microgreen? never heard of them. but a quick check it looks like $35 for 2 shipped for my cx-7 and $38 for 2 shipped for my mazda6.. kinda pricey but almost the same price as amsoil and rp oil filters.

about microgreen filters, what is the media? both paper and synthetic fibers? are they made in the USA?

If I remember correctly the Microgreen's primary media is paper while the bypass element is sieved teflon. If you search, a fellow did a good job of evaluating the filter by cutting the unit open and posting images. The contention was it was a well-built but cost was too extensive. Very well maybe but I'm now pleased with it after having particle counts done and not telling Blackstone anything about the various filters and sizing. More testing will have to confirm but I'm thinking this filter is second only to a true by-pass system. Cost is notable, however, I don't find it unreasonable with it's effectiveness.

Originally Posted By: Junior96Stang
It differs but Purolater is good enough?

The PureOne's are well known and have a great reputation. It's a personal choice if the Microgreen cost to filtering benefit is worthwhile or not. It should also be noted that there wasn't a significant difference, particularly in regards to wear metals, in comparison with UOA's between Microgreen and K&N despite practically double the number of particle counts between the two filters. At least in this one comparison, it doesn't appear that higher filtering efficiency translated to remarkable reduction in wear. Intuitively, it seems that it should but in real world, it appears it will take a loooong time to see a difference. A Purolater should be fine.

However, in regards to the intent of this thread, I would argue that Microgreen is the top or at least near the top in regards to the "Best Filter," at least in consideration of standard spin on canisters.

I should also point out that the Microgreen manufacture has problems, either in ethics or with fundamentals of filtration. The promotional claim of extending oil change intervals to 30,000 miles is beyond preposterous.

Doug

im thinking for a quality, synthetic media filter it would be hard to beat napa's platinum. but the more i research im sure something like a motorcraft would be good. i guess this is the million dollar question.

speaking of the napa platinum, does anyone know who makes it? i know wix makes the gold.

I have sold and promoted Fleetguard filters for over 25 years in the heavy truck industry, hard to beat in diesel applications. Also the stratapore synthetic media in the LF16002 for my 4.6l Ford F150, with 5w20 M1. Seems like a good combo to me.

ya ive seen that thread before. looks like a very nice filter. for around $8 i think its a good deal. but [censored], who knows. im sure the cheaper filters do good too.

Originally Posted By: qdeezie
For what it's worth, the vehicle in my auto-signature with 333K+ miles has been on synthetic oil and P1 filters since the first OCI and it still runs as good as new. In my pre-BITOG frame of mind, P1 was the "best" to me. Now I know about Wix, Fram XG series, Royal Purple, Amsoil, M1, K&N, etc. All of those are excellent filters to me.

I have run engines beyond 300K miles on store brand oil such as SuperTech(Wal*Mart), AAP(AdvAutoParts), ProLine(PepBoys), Spectrum(SEARS) or anything on sale/rebate, and using FRAM orange can of death(OCOD) and PuroPremPlus(A.K.A. Classic). Rust here in the North East(NE) finaly got the better part of the car.

Oh yeah, and I have been mixing oils, like, forever!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I have run engines beyond 300K miles on store brand oil such as SuperTech(Wal*Mart), AAP(AdvAutoParts), ProLine(PepBoys), Spectrum(SEARS) or anything on sale/rebate, and using FRAM orange can of death(OCOD) and PuroPremPlus(A.K.A. Classic). Rust here in the North East(NE) finaly got the better part of the car.

Ya no doubt that most here really over-think this stuff, me included. I'm getting back to remembering that I ran my Astro to 305k km on less than half the oil changes it should have had with whatever I found for oil and filter. I think regularly changing it with decent products is more than sufficient for most.

Originally Posted By: Jaymus
I think it's hard to beat a Motorcraft oil filter on a Ford.

From my understanding of what I have read here and other sites that have sliced open the MotorCraft filters, it's hard to beat a MC Hammer ah,,,I mean filter on any vehicle that you can find a cross reference for. Finding the x-ref is the hard part.

Some say that the internals are PuroPureOne(appl.depend.)& silicone ADBV(# ending in "S") along with FORD specified By-Pass Valve(I've read!)all for around 4 bucks?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby

Reminds me of what a mechanic friend of mine told me many years ago when I asked him what was the best oil for me to use. His reply was, "Whatever is on sale."

I think that is even more true with today's oil, especially if you do oil changes every 3k like many people still do. Still, I think that some oil and oil filters are better than others when you start talking about extended oil changes. Just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back