Royal Purple 0w40 vs. 5w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sent an email out to Royal Purple inquiring about their 0w40 oil and if it still had Synerlec with the new formulation. Here is the reply I got. What do you guys think of the two oils?

Good morning Deven,

Unless you are consistently operating this vehicle in 35 below zero weather the Royal Purple 5W-40 (part #01540, quart bottle) will likely be a better choice for you. The 5W-40 is the only RP street oil since the reformulation that still has the Synerlec formulation included. The Synerlec was not able to be used in the 0W-40 formulation but was able to be used in the 5W-40.

Thank you for choosing Royal Purple and have a great day!

Jim Morrissey

Technical Services

Royal Purple, Inc.

Originally Posted By: deven
I sent an email out to Royal Purple inquiring about their 0w40 oil and if it still had Synerlec with the new formulation. Here is the reply I got. What do you guys think of the two oils?

Good morning Deven,

Unless you are consistently operating this vehicle in 35 below zero weather the Royal Purple 5W-40 (part #01540, quart bottle) will likely be a better choice for you. The 5W-40 is the only RP street oil since the reformulation that still has the Synerlec formulation included. The Synerlec was not able to be used in the 0W-40 formulation but was able to be used in the 5W-40.

Thank you for choosing Royal Purple and have a great day!

Jim Morrissey

Technical Services

Royal Purple, Inc.

Man that`s weird! Did they cheapen their formulation??????? Isn`t Synerlec an ester? Wonder what their oil is made up of now?

I would guess that Synerlec is some sort of bio-ester, judging by the descriptions.

Personally I would run the 0w40.

Well they still have the Synerlec but only in the HPS line. The 0w40 is not included in the HPS line though. I actually believe in their Synerlec technology so I will either move to the 5w40 or just use Red Line 0w40 from now on.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dparm
I would guess that Synerlec is some sort of bio-ester, judging by the descriptions.

dparm, why would you choose 0w40 over 5w40? Just wondering if it is due to the cold pumpability reasons alone or something more.

Last edited:
Me,I`ll stick with Mobil 1. Go with M1 0W40 or 5W40. Recently when I`d tried RP(10W40)it was horrible. BUT,a couple of years ago I`d used RP`s 20W50 and it was awesome! Wonder if I`d gotten ahold of their new cheapened formula?

Last edited:
The 0W-40 is lighter than the 5W-40 with it's HTHS vis of 3.6cP to 3.7cP IIRC. I suspect the 5W-40 is around 4.0cP (don't know for sure) and it has a slightly lower VI although still good at 179.
So it's a heavier oil and therefore do you need a heavier oil is the question?
The benchmark 40wt is M1 0W-40 with a HTHSV of 3.8cP and 185 VI. It hard to beat on price when on sale. That's the oil I would compare it to.

Originally Posted By: deven
Originally Posted By: dparm

dparm, why would you choose 0w40 over 5w40? Just wondering if it is due to the cold pumpability reasons alone or something more.

I would use it because it will handle cold temps even better. Typically 0wX oils are using better basestocks.

I inquired about ACEA A3/B4 a few months ago for the XPR oils. Their tech said that the 5w40, for example, is not a "resource conserving" oil and is developed for performance apps.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Okay, then if it's significantly cheaper than M1 0W-40 it would be worth considering.

That might be difficult to pull off unless one gets a major special somewhere. My cost is $10.80 per quart of 0w-40 and 5w-40 RP. The other grades are $9.25 per quart.

Assuming the 0W-40 meets specs that require lower limits on sulfur than those the 5W-40 meets, this provides circumstantial evidence that Synerlec is a sulfurized ester, as said a few years ago by someone who knows more than the average BITOG member.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back