Honda snowblower - will any 5w-30 oil do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the HS520 with the GC160 Honda engine. It is kept in an unheated attached garage where the temp typically doesn't fall below 40F.

I used to run GC 0w-30 in it in the past as I had it left over from my car. I don't have any GC leftover, so I'm wondering if I can fill it with any non-synthetic 5w-30 oil out there and call it a day? I don't mind spending a few extra bucks on synthetic if needed - after all, the oil sump is only about 0.6 qt.

The manual just mentions 5w-30 API SJ or later.

I see no reason why you couldn't use it as it meets the specs but i think the GC is an ideal oil for these small engines.Rotella T6 5w-40 is another good alternative for these small engines.
I keep 6 qts of GC just for yard equipment.

M1's 5w30HM is API SL so has a nice cam and anti-wear add pack that would be my choice.

in a snowblower you need all the ease of starting you can get no matter how minuet.

Any 5W-30 will work ... provided you watch the oil level carefully. If the oil begins to shear and you suddenly find yourself in an extended clean-up due to a large storm (I assuming next season), the oil level could drop suddenly and you could start chewing up the engine with a lot of damage occurring before you catch on.

If you are going to use Mobil 1 like daman suggests, be sure to use the HM or EP formulas instead of the regular stuff which can disappear quickly in some engines.

I'd look for a sale on 5W-40 for this thing.

If it helps any, i filled my hs520 with edge 5w30 last fall, and used it heavily this winter. Probably more than i ever have before. The level never dropped and it looks good.

Originally Posted By: Bror Jace

I'd look for a sale on 5W-40 for this thing.

Well, I do have some PU 5w-40 and M1 0w-40 laying around, but I thought it'd be too thick for this engine.

Quattro Pete, it's a judgment call going to something like a 5W-40 instead of a 5W-30. If the engine is currently still very tight (lots of power, uses no oil) then I probably wouldn't switch.

Once it has 2-3 full seasons on it and/or it feels not quite as strong (very subjective, I know) then I think 5W-40 is a better choice.

When I was running and maintaining Dad's OPE, I would run some sort of top-oil every other tankful and oil consumption dropped to just about zero ... even on the older motors (2+ decades old) so I can't really say what to expect.

I wonder how long Mobil 1 0W-40 would take to shear down grade in this application? Hmmm ...

Been using SHELL full synthetic 5w-30 for 3 years in the 5 H.P. Tecumseh . Change it every year in late spring . The gas seems to last forever . Usually uses a few ounces of oil for heavy snow . Got to expect it for a 400+ foot driveway . Poor thing . Just keeps a chuggin' on .

Last edited:
I used M1 0W30 for 3 seasons now in a 5 HP Tecumseh snow blower, and an 11 HP Honda powered pressure washer. I add a little MoS2 to the oil, both machines are worked hard and use no oil. IMO pretty much any 5W30 or 0W30 should work fine. As with any small engine keep an eye on the oil level. JMO

I'm working on getting a case of Chevron Delo 400 for my new snowblower for use this coming winter:

https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=77115&docFormat=PDF

It's a dealer in Western Mass. He happens to live close to me and can deliver for free.
laugh.gif

Have been using SHELL full sythetic 5w-30 for a 5 h.p. YARD MACHINE for many years with no issues . Does use some oil when putting it under stress from heavy snow .

Since the thread was resurrected, I'll update that I ended up going with M1 HM 5w-30 in mine. Haven't used the blower yet since the change, so I can't comment on how it performs, but I wouldn't expect to feel/hear anything different than last year when GC was being used.

Used Valvoline Synpower last season in a new craftsman (MTD?) snowblower, didn't use a drop and very east to pull start. Think I'm going to change to M1 HM 5w-30 for this year for the SL additive pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back