2012 Scion XB 2.4 liter (Recommend a synthetic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyways, Just purchased a brand new 2012 Scion XB and I got 1,000 miles on it and want to dump the break in oil..

Now I live in Southern California and as you know our summers can get up to over 100 degrees, were are slowly progressing into winter soon and I wanted to check in with you all to see what you feel I should run in this beast..

my driving habits..

I drive conservatively and get on it (not hard) every now and again when some moron cant drive accordingly on our highways

I do mostly short trips to the store here and there and my shop is about 80 miles away single trip..

Now, I work in sports broadcasting so i travel OFTEN and this car sits more than it gets driven (owned if for over 2 months and im currently at 700 miles) so it doesent get daily driven.

I know toyota recommends a 0W20 and although I am safe with that for winter, I just feel its a bit light for our summers.

I will finalize this by adding that I think I care more about the internals of my cars and bikes than I do my wife.. having said that, I am not afraid of pony'ing the bucks up for the good stuff..

oh and with the long sitting intervals of the car, I am not sure OIC of 7500 and up and something well for me since that would take about a year (or longer) to hit that.. so yeah.. speak on it kids, I am ALL ears

Oh and if you feel you want to throw a filter choice in there, I am all ears for that as well

The 0-20 is fine year round, and I would run whatever Toyota specs to keep your warranty valid. The engine runs fine on 5-30 too, but why risk a warranty hassle.

Any 0-20 is going to be Synthetic, any synthetic will be fine for 7500 miles or one year whichever comes first. If you really can't handle the 20 weight, get a synthetic 0-30 or 5-30 and run that the same distance.

EDIT, sorry... recommend a brand? The Toyota 0w-20 is a fantastic oil. Mobil M1 0-20 is readily available and cheap. In our 2az-fe I run whatever I can get free after rebate (currently that's G-oil and Pennzoil Ultra, but you can't get those in 0-20). I've used the WIX and Purolator filters. I prefer the purolators, they're not as well built but have a lot more media area.

Last edited:
Toyota's oil is excellent and priced well. I would go for that.

Otherwise you can get M1 AFE 0w20 but it's rarely on sale.

Really? I haven't seen an UOA's for the toyota synthetic.

I am pretty sure wallyworld is the best price for the M1 but google will be my friend in that endeavorer

Use Mobil 1 0w-20 AFE, the new Toyotas love a thin oil. It will fine for use in the summer as well. Other members have used it in very hot weather towing a trailer with no problems.

This is all good to know, I have "read" that other owners felt the M1 was a bit noisier but I can do my own A&B from swapping the toyota out with M1 and noticing a difference.

I run Amsoil in my harleys so i have always been a fanboy of them but I am always open to suggestions around this site.

Great idea about dumping the break-in oil early.

Toyota's 0W-20 is wonderful, but a bit pricey. I've used it in my wife's Corolla S (1.8L) in the winter for better low-temp/startup flow (my wife rarely lets the car warm up or idle for more than a few seconds before taking off, so every little bit helps). But we started parking the car in the garage so the car likely won't see freezing temps as often... so I'll probably default back to my usual 5W-20 for all year-round.

In L.A. you probably don't really need a 0W-20 in the winter, but if you decide on one the Toyota 0W-20 is top notch. M1 would also be a great choice, although I haven't tried it personally. The poster above is correct, 0W-20 is fine year-round, but its usually a bit harder to find here in TX (probably in CA as well) and consequently usually more expensive.

Personally, I would just use 5W-20 all year round in your climate. I've used PP and PU, and both these are excellent. But if cost is absolutely no issue for you, Toyota's 0W-20 would be hard to beat.

I've used Toyota filters as well as Wix and Napa Gold. Of those three, I just use whichever I can get the cheapest.

Last edited:
Sounds like you are in a great situation for 1 year syn oil changes. Winter doesn't exist in LA and I don't think that your vehicle sitting for a while is as bad as short tripping it. M1, Toyota, Amsoil - choose whatever will make you sleep best at night.

Wow I have to admit, I am shocked that so many people recommend the toyota 0w20. I can get 10% above cost with our shop account so I can buy in case but I swear I didnt see that one coming..

If you can get Toyota 0W20 full synthetic at 10% above dealer cost then by all means use it. Of all full synthetic 0W20 available in US, Toyota 0W20 is the best buy at around $5/qt.

Originally Posted By: kingofthecrate
Wow I have to admit, I am shocked that so many people recommend the toyota 0w20. I can get 10% above cost with our shop account so I can buy in case but I swear I didnt see that one coming..

The Toyota oil filters are also first class. I was very impressed after cutting one open. Lots of pleats and heavy duty construction.

I am also partial to the M1 AFE 0W20 which is a great oil!

I don't agree with others here about dumping the oil early. Just follow Toyota's recommendations for oil and oil change intervals and the engine will run forever (or as long as you can stand without selling the car).

Like others have said the TOYOTA 0w-20 synthetic , TOYO oil filter , and air filter are of very good quality . You can go to TOYOTA dealer websites in your area and sometimes you'll discover discount coupons for the parts department .

Last edited:
You know man, its one of those "whatever helps you sleep at night" kind of things.. I feel comfortable dumping the break in oil. I used to do it at 500 but I already feel "uncomfortable" doing it at 1,000 but this lets me put my magnetic drain plug in and although I am amazed that everyone here really stands behind the toyota oil and filters, then I will run it. I am getting decent pricing on the TRD filters so I will run those. I think at the end of the day, we ALL want whats best for our cars (and our OCD)
grin.gif

Scion boost will cover the oil changes at the 10k and 20k marks. Just do your own in between.

kingofthecrate,

If you go to Longo Toyota they use Mobil 1 as a synthetic alternate for an additional fee. Since your car is new check out your own dealership and see what they authorize. As long as they use it they have to honor the warranty if anything goes wrong with your car. I'm much sure each dealership uses they're own preference of brand of synthetic including Toyotas own version. Don't do anything to void your warranty.

Durango

+1 Toyota'a 0W20 IS excellent oil and their OEM filter does a good job too. Can't go wrong with either for all year round engine and warranty protection.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Honda 0w20 can be had for under $5/qt if you know the parts guy...

Not bad, but the CoP made oil pales in comparison to the Toyota 0W-20 or the 0W-20s made by Idemitsu and many dealers will sell in the 5 buck range on a case of 12.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back