Soybean oil added to Gasoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always been curious to know if I could burn away waste vegetable oil by mixing small quantities into a tank of gas. I finally gave it a try; added half a cup to the 4 gallons of gasoline in the tank, and drove it around. No ill effects so far!! I think this oil just dissolves in gasoline and remains there in such small concentration that it's harmless. It may even act as beneficial lubricant like MMO in gas does.

I think I can start using up some old rancid veggie oil for fuel in the future and not feel very freaked out about it.

Rancid veggie oil in your engine? Just sounds like a bad idea to me. That stuffs not meant to go in there, and will probably start gunk up injectors I would imagine. I'd say stop while you're ahead. But whatever floats your boat!

Originally Posted By: ueberooo
I've always been curious to know if I could burn away waste vegetable oil by mixing small quantities into a tank of gas. I finally gave it a try; added half a cup to the 4 gallons of gasoline in the tank, and drove it around. No ill effects so far!! I think this oil just dissolves in gasoline and remains there in such small concentration that it's harmless. It may even act as beneficial lubricant like MMO in gas does.

I think I can start using up some old rancid veggie oil for fuel in the future and not feel very freaked out about it.

Thats 'stranger than wierd'. Why would you want to do that?

It was an opportunity to experiment. I'm driving a $1000 car right now with a very rugged EJ 2.2 subaru engine. I just wanted to see what would happen! and it seemed the downside was low....

Had I noticed problems I could always have topped off the tank and dilute by further factor of 1:3.

Anyways, nobody here thinks the idea of using spare calories from cooking oil gone bad is intriguing???

I guess these weird ideas do sort of float my boat a little =)

Originally Posted By: ueberooo
Anyways, nobody here thinks the idea of using spare calories from cooking oil gone bad is intriguing???

Sure... in a diesel.

maybe over a long time and a lot of veggie oil this might be a problem, but only due to the fact that gas engines are tuned to burn on the rich side, and to avoid lean burns, so there could be some excess unburnt veggie oil. maybe some carbon deposit on that and the plugs could be a down side?

anyways, even the most refined veggie oils look like they have a smoke point under 500F, and more typical is something like 400F.

In comparison to the combustion chamber temps (average around 1600F) that smoke point is very low.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_point

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_av...gasoline_engine

Won't even put it in my diesel.

Water in diesel fuel is detrimental to the IP's Optical Sensor, at least in a GM's 6.5L.

But OP, you can try in your gasser and see how it does but don't blame it on us if the car will not start or something like that which is what you have done anyway.

Give us updates after 3, 6 and 12 months.

Last edited:
Ive been doing something like this for a year now, but I use highly filtered WVO, not "rancid" oil. I also do not just add the oil and think I am doing the same thing as MMO or TCW3, I have a special blend of other ingredients (octane boosters, cleaners, lubes) that I have invented. It consistently gives me better mpg than w/o running it. But as far as adding rancid oil, just make sure it does not have any particulates in it, and only add 1 oz per 5 gallons of gas. At that ratio, there is almost no way you'll [censored] up your car. Consider cutting your rancid oil with some tcw3 or MMO, or both, to add a little more cleaning power. As a lube, veggie oil is top notch to combat e10 gasoline, but JUST A TINY amount. No need to wring out a whopper or big mac's worth of grease! Mmm..now i'm hungry.
If you're worried, just pull out a spark plug now and then again in 1000..2000..3000. miles to see how things are.
Cheers
Ryan

Originally Posted By: The_Intimidator
only add 1 oz per 5 gallons of gas.... As a lube, veggie oil is top notch to combat e10 gasoline, but JUST A TINY amount.

Hi Ryan, thanks for the tip; awesome to hear that you found a cocktail that works; so I'll keep it at under 2.5 oz per tank. I just filled up the tank and added some MMO/veg oil into it. I made myself a blend of 40% Soy oil / 60% MMO, which I'll be using at just under 4 oz per 12.5 gallon tank of gas.

Also, I haven't used rancid oil so far in this or the previous test run, but was considering it as a future option. I figure if there are no problems with regular veggie oil for the combustion then there wouldn't be with a slightly rancid oil. This wouldn't be some gelled up decade old batch of oil but just oil that has an off taste of smell and that I wouldn't want to use for cooking and eating. (As long as it doesn't gel up in the gas lines and injectors it'll all get burned at 2000F so I doubt the engine would care that much, esp at these concentrations.)

I, for one, does not agree with adding all sorts of gowd-knows-what into gasoline (other than PEA-based FI injector cleaner, or fuel-stabiliser), citing the tendency to screw things up further down the road.

to OP: dunno how "clean" is the soy bean oil in gas burning but I would be worried about carboning up the EGR valve (causing it to leak/orifice doesn't shut properly) down the road.

Q.

Quote:
I, for one, does not agree with adding all sorts of gowd-knows-what into gasoline (other than PEA-based FI injector cleaner, or fuel-stabiliser), citing the tendency to screw things up further down the road.

That doesn't seem very fun
frown.gif

And if I was thinking of experimenting on a brand new car, a car under warranty, worth enough for comprehensive insurance, or of high emotional attachment then I would agree with you, or at least think twice.

I was going to put an oz of butane in the remaining 16 oz cocktail too but then read your post and decided not to.

Do it to it man. I have written out all the possible chemical reactions that could take place in instances of my additive brews, and most if not all the related compounds that would be produced are even more potent at cleaning than the initial additive was. This would worry me if there wasn't the looming worry about "gumming stuff up" or clogging "things". I have done octane studys as a mini blanket to worry about these issues as adding an oil will lower the octane. If you put yourself at too low of an octane, then you would be causing even more problems. Think about it, you would see the gumming if you tried 10% (1.2 gallons in your case) of soy oil in your tank, not an amount several orders of magnitude smaller. Plus, you're cutting the MMO with it which is a good thing. As long as you put it in the tank before you fill up, adding amounts as small as you are would go heavily into solution and would NOT come back out when you don't have the car in motion (garaged or parked overnight). I have done pilot batches with all of the additives I use, and I am very very happy with how things worked out. So, no offense, but God does know what I am adding, as well as myself. I am down the road, the engine runs like new. 105,000 on the engine, about 15,000 with the additives. Spark plugs look brand new. No blockages. No leaks. No fuel Dilution. No Oil consumption.

Could this be possible w/o additives? Yes, even in a GM engine.
Is that fun for me?
NOPE.

Cheers,
Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back