CR Tire Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
They should take those results down as that CR test has been updated since that was posted. The top five are now, in order:

1) Michelin HydroEdge
2) Continental ProContact EcoPlus
3) Michelin Energy Saver A/S
4) Hankook Optimo H727
5) Pirelli P4 Four Seasons

The ratings of the tires that were already in the test (like the HydroEdge, Optimo, and P4) didn't change, but they later tested a batch of LRR tires and fitted them into the metric with their scores. The Continental and Michelin slotted in at #2 and #3 and the Cooper GFE slotted in at #11.

Where is Blizzak and Assurance TripleTred? These two are highly regarded in tis own category.

Winter tires are tested differently by CR, and are reported separately. The Goodyear Assurance TripleTred finished #6 in that 2009 test. It scored higher back in 2005, but it's been surpassed lately (and now replaced altogether by the Assurance TripleTred All Season).

I typically find my tires reviews at tirerack.com and found it fairly reliable in my experience. Tires that rank high in TR in comparison to OEMs do perform better after my purchase.

Does anybody know how good the CR test in comparison to TR?

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
They should take those results down as that CR test has been updated since that was posted. The top five are now, in order:

1) Michelin HydroEdge
2) Continental ProContact EcoPlus
3) Michelin Energy Saver A/S
4) Hankook Optimo H727
5) Pirelli P4 Four Seasons

Yes, they're older(2009) results and I haven't seen any new results since CR tested some new LRR tires. Good to see, thanks!

The ratings of the tires that were already in the test (like the HydroEdge, Optimo, and P4) didn't change, but they later tested a batch of LRR tires and fitted them into the metric with their scores. The Continental and Michelin slotted in at #2 and #3 and the Cooper GFE slotted in at #11.

Originally Posted By: AccordV6MN

They often correlate pretty well. That is, a tire that rates very high in Consumer Reports' testing also scores very well if Tire Rack tests it, and vice versa. There are at least two reasons why this sometimes isn't the case, and doesn't necessarily indicate a problem with either testing regimes:

1) Tire Rack and Consumer Reports do not often test the same size tires, so you can get some variation in how tires perform depending on the size involved.

2) Secondly, and this is related to the first point above, some of the tires tested are OEM tires in a certain size. Take, for example, the Michelin Primacy MXV4. CR's tire test referenced above used the P215/60R16 size. In that particular size, the Michelin Primacy MXV4 is an OEM tire on some Nissan Altimas. Because this tire is OEM to Nissan, it can have different performance characteristics than the same model tire in, say, the P225/60R16 size, which is not an OEM size for that tire model.

The main problem I have with CR is not in their testing protocol, but in how they report the results. They have a 5-bubble system that gives you only a general idea of the relative performance differences between two tires. But even then, you don't really know how much different a full red circle is from a half red circle, or an open circle. You might have two tires, both with a full red circle for dry braking for example, and the difference in stopping distance might be 6 feet if that's the delta between best and worst for a full red circle in that test. But a third tire might score only a half red circle with a stopping distance that's 7 feet behind the best. So as a result, you are lead to believe that the difference is greater than it really is.

Originally Posted By: AccordV6MN

They often correlate pretty well. That is, a tire that rates very high in Consumer Reports' testing also scores very well if Tire Rack tests it, and vice versa. There are at least two reasons why this sometimes isn't the case, and doesn't necessarily indicate a problem with either testing regimes:

1) Tire Rack and Consumer Reports do not often test the same size tires, so you can get some variation in how tires perform depending on the size involved.

2) Secondly, and this is related to the first point above, some of the tires tested are OEM tires in a certain size. Take, for example, the Michelin Primacy MXV4. CR's tire test referenced above used the P215/60R16 size. In that particular size, the Michelin Primacy MXV4 is an OEM tire on some Nissan Altimas. Because this tire is OEM to Nissan, it can have different performance characteristics than the same model tire in, say, the P225/60R16 size, which is not an OEM size for that tire model.

The main problem I have with CR is not in their testing protocol, but in how they report the results. They have a 5-bubble system that gives you only a general idea of the relative performance differences between two tires. But even then, you don't really know how much different a full red circle is from a half red circle, or an open circle. You might have two tires, both with a full red circle for dry braking for example, and the difference in stopping distance might be 6 feet if that's the delta between best and worst for a full red circle in that test. But a third tire might score only a half red circle with a stopping distance that's 7 feet behind the best. So as a result, you are lead to believe that the difference is greater than it really is.

Accord Man,
If you click on the Prius link that I provided, and then the link to CR Test from there, CR explains exactely how they perform their tests, the size of tire that they use and how many miles they run the tires over time etc. It's a short read but, thouough
smile.gif

Hokiefyd,
I agree with you in regards to CR scoring system. I like the point system better from the TR than the bubble system from CR.

Thanks Hokiefyd.

You made a very good point on the testing on different tire size than one that maybe purchased buy consumers.

I definitely agree on the CR scoring system, too broad and not as clear as TR.

I have an online subscription to CR, and participate in their tire forums pretty much daily. The 5-bubble scoring system is a big point of contention with most tire-savvy readers. CR has gotten better about releasing some of the data behind the testing, like the difference in feet between the best and worst tire in dry braking for example. It's still not as much information as some people want, but they're listening and are incrementally answering the mail on that.

I have an online subscription to CR, and participate in their tire forums pretty much daily. The 5-bubble scoring system is a big point of contention with most tire-savvy readers. CR has gotten better about releasing some of the data behind the testing, like the difference in feet between the best and worst tire in dry braking for example. It's still not as much information as some people want, but they're listening and are incrementally answering the mail on that.

Hokie,
By speaking with others in the CR forums, do you know which vehicles including trucks/SUV's were used in CR tire test?(from the one that I provided from 2009) And too, which vehicle(s) in their most recent test?

From the DVD provided in my 2011 CR April Auto Issue, the car shown in the "How CR Tests Tires" portion of the DVD, CR was using a Chevy Malibu but, they didn't go into any great length in this portion of the DVD. I know that the Nissan Altima also uses the 215-60-16 as the stock size on the Altima and other MFG's may as well.

Last edited:
The 2009 passenger all-season tire test used a Chevy Malibu with the P215/60R16 tire size. All of the 2009 passenger car tire test results are comparable with each other. So for instance, you can directly compare the S/T-rated tires with the H/V-rated tires, but for that round of tests only.

The 2010 UHP tire tests were done with P225/45R18 tires I believe, and were done with a Chevy Cobalt SS. That's from my general recollection, so I'm not positive.

CR just released their 2011 light truck/SUV tire tests, and as I recall, those were done with P265/70R17 on a Chevy Tahoe.

CR has a three-segment annual rotation. So in 2012, they'll be doing passenger all-season tires again, then in 2013 UHP tires, then in 2014 light truck/SUV tires, etc. They have already indicated that they are sticking with the P215/60R16 size for the 2012 passenger all-season testing, though I don't know on which vehicle. This is a very common mid-size car size. Chevy Malibu, Mazda 6, Nissan Altima, Toyota Camry all use this size. And those are just new cars...the last-gen bubble Taurus also used that size, among many other examples I'm sure. So it's a good representative size for that tire segment.

Thank you for your quick reply!
We are still happy with all of our tire choices as you can imagine the substandard tires that I for one, have used in the past on vehicles that themselves were substandard as well.

Can you imagine the kind of tires I was using in the winter on my '68 rear wheel drive BUICK LeSABRE, '69 Biscayne, '73 Chrysler, '74 Caprice and all of my Camaro's in deep snow? I used to get stuck everywhere all winter long even when using snow tires. Todays A/S tires and FWD alone get me through the deepest snow that I have never needed dedicated snows any longer.
If the snow is too deep, I'm staying home
smile.gif

I have never in my life(til I stopped driving RWD only cars/trucks) gotten stuck so much during the winter months. It's as though we pushed our way through the winter. I'd get stuck in snow waiting for a RED Light to change to GREEN
smile.gif

Todays vehicles are so much better and the higher rated tires also add to the splender!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back