Wheel bearing grease for tadpole?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having a bit of a discussion with my friend. He has a recumbent tadpole and insists on using wheel bearing grease. On a trike you really want to reduce friction as much as possible, and that's why I suggest using a thin oil. In the interest of best performance, frequent cleaning and oiling is unavoidable, in my opinion. Am I giving good or bad advice?

FWIW, I don't believe in bike shop lubes. As of now, I got RL CV-2 in my Shimano cone & cup hubs and LPS 3 for the chain.

Nope. My wheels still spin fine as ever. IIRC, Shimano used what appeared to be regular old #2 lithium grease.

A few racers that I know actually remove almost all oil from the bearings before racing. They want to minimize friction, of course.

Unless you ride in a very hot weather, I don't think grease is needed in a bicycle wheel bearing. Have you always been using grease, or have you had a bad experience with oil?

Does oil stay in the bearings? I've not worked on any high end bikes so I'm not sure what the difference is in the seals. The cheapo bikes I've worked on would leak like crazy.

Amsoil's general purpose grease (red) is rather thin and shows a very low resistance spec. The #1 version could be used for even lower resistance.

I use Super Lube in all my bearings.

34235.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back