Valvoline Synpower 5-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2011 Chevy pickup with a 4.3 liter engine. Engine has just over 3,200 miles on it. Changed the oil at 500 miles and put in Mobil EP 5w-30. Been thinking of trying Valvoline Synpower 5w-30.

What are your opinions on this?

Valvoline products seem to be a bit less expensive than Mobil 1 in my area. Also, my oil changes will be done at 5,000 mile intervals.

Thanks.

First off, 5000 is a pretty short interval for a those oils unless you are doing a lot of towing or short trips, and it doesn't matter if it is dino or synthetic, the engine will make it, just how far can you go on an OCI is the question...

I agree with brenden, any major brand conventional will get you a good 5k. OTOH, I know there is nothing wrong with treating your engine to "syn" or true syn. What I like about Valvoline is that there pretty transparent with their PDS's so you know what you are getting and Valvoline Synpower is very good (all of their oils are good). M1 EP is hard to beat but if you want to switch to any Valvoline product I give a big thumbs up. I really like the fact they have low volatility. I say go for it! Especially at 5k intervals.

If you want to extend drains, M1 EP is your pick.
If you're going to stick with 5K drains, Synpower is a good oil, and there are a number of good UOAs here with Synpower.
The biggest difference is in TBN retention.
Synpower does not look promising as a long drain oil, since its TBN retention does not look very strong in the UOAs I have seen that show residual TBN.
M1 EP, or any M1, shows considerably better TBN retention in UOAs and is therefore probably a better oil for longer drain intervals.

I like SynPower a lot, or I should say my Subaru does.

As mentioned already, it's a great oil but there are better choices if you wanted to go with long (10k+) OCIs.

Does your new truck have an oil life monitor? You really should go by that regardless of what's in the crankcase.

Originally Posted By: Rob Taggs

Valvoline products seem to be a bit less expensive than Mobil 1 in my area. Also, my oil changes will be done at 5,000 mile intervals.

Thanks.

Good choice! You could even save a couple more bucks by purchasing two oil changes at a time - then blending Valvoline conventional with synthetic - thus giving you a nice 50-50 synblend.

Originally Posted By: Rob Taggs
I have a 2011 Chevy pickup with a 4.3 liter engine. Engine has just over 3,200 miles on it. Changed the oil at 500 miles and put in Mobil EP 5w-30. Been thinking of trying Valvoline Synpower 5w-30.

What are your opinions on this?

Thanks.

Rob,

Valvoline is a good/excellent oil and a major brand that should always be on your store shelve. This is part of my selection process when deciding on what to use in my car/truck. If you are having good luck with it then why switch when it's not necessary???

If your budget is tight like mine is then consider Mobil "Super Synthetic" in the same oil weight? There website say it's good for 7500K miles and it's just under $5/quart....at least the last time I loooked at my local PEP BOYS. Even if you decide to swap out your oil at 6K miles you would still have a good cushion in the back of your mind.

Good luck in your final decision...

Durango

The more I get to thinking, I mind just stay with Mobil1 EP 5w-30. My driving is 99% short trips. To work it is only 6.6 miles one way. I try to get the truck out on the highway at least twice a month. Really like Valvoline products, kind of brand loyalty thing.

Raced with small block chevys and Valvoline never failed me. Used Castrol in a big block racing it and burned up 5 valves, not faulting Castrol. Just wondering if it may have helped it to the junk yard?

Robert Taggs,

Mobil 1 EP I'm much sure is an excellent oil to use. Im my car/truck I mainly use M1 myself BUT keep an alternate in mind if for some reason my local parts store (PEP BOYS) doesn't have/decided to drop more oils from the shelve.

I admit though I never tryed Castrol "Syntec" before as I heard and read about the debate of wether it was considered a full synthetic. In addition I've read on this forum from people who have used it it doesn't dampen internal engine noise very well.

Since the major brand prices continue to rise we here in California pay about $8.99/quart and is now in the bracket of Royal Purple which I never considered to ever try due to the price. One synthetic oils I've tried lately is Kendall synthetic which was priced just under $5 bucks and it's been an excellent oil to use in my opinion.

Good talking to ya.:)

Durango

Since you have a 2011 GM vehicle, you should be using dexos1-approved oils, and changing oil according to the Oil Life Monitor. I doubt that Valvoline has dexos approval, although it may say "meets or exceeds GM dexos" on the bottle. If it doesn't have the dexos stamp on the bottle, it's not on the approved list. My recommendation is to use Mobil 1 5w30.

If your Chevy is under warranty and most indeed it is I wouldn't change it until your OLM tells you to do unless the dealership say otherwise.

I myself trust and use my OLM as a standard bu I know allot of people don't trust it cuz it tell them to sway out the oil too at a very high mileage interval.

Since it's been decided to stay with M1 then it's fine. My dealership approves castrol "Syntec" or Mobil 1 as synthetic oil alternatives to dino.

Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back