Help me Decide on a Research Paper Topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Im a Oakland University student and I have a 5 page research paper due in a couple weeks.

Anyways..My professor suggested that I pick a topic that interests ME. Personally, all I can think about is cars, oil etc..

Im asking for a topic to write about. What are some good ideas? I was thinking about writing about - How effective hybrid cars actually car. Like - less emissions, but are not super cost effective. Ie- Chevy volt.

Any suggestions are very helpful.! Thanks.
-Josh

A good paper would be oil standards and how they relate to globalization (ACEA, API, VW 502/505, dexos, etc).

I wrote a similar paper in college about how GSM cellular technologies were an essential part of globalization, especially in developing countries. Nailed it and the prof was extremely impressed.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
5 page research paper due... in what class?

What are the criteria?

Well im studying Mechanical Engineering, but this is a prerequisite - Writing 160.

There are no big criteria that you need to follow, but you need to stand behind a argument/or possibly disapprove something. Giving several references to my work whether it may be from the internet, books or tv..etc..

Here is one topic from a student in my class.
"The ability of children should not be measured by standardized tests but by their critical and conceptual thinking"

That is his topic and he will stand upon something giving several sources that support it.

Im just trying to think of something automotive related that actually interests me. haha
smile.gif
thanks

Last edited:
I've done several research papers in cars topic. Try "buying used vs new car in today economy" or "Alternative fuel cars and technologies" or research and explanation about oils, transmission evolution, or from candle to LED.

I am a ChE. If I had a 5 page research paper due (actually quite short) I would concentrate on energy independence for the U.S. You could inject the efforts that the Feds use to PREVENT this and why. It probably won't be politically correct but 'Who Cares'. John--Las Vegas.

I would pick a topic suitable for 5 pages (a small paper) and a short time period which ALSO interests me AND can be expanded down the road. e.g. 5th grade "Robert E. Lee, famous general" 2 pages, H.S. freshman. "Lee's Leadership as a General",5 pages, freshman college "Lee and his generals",9 pages, senior history major paper, "Books on Robert E. Lee", 20 pages, masters thesis "Lee's Recruitment strategies after Gettysburg" 70 pages, etc. Of course you have to keep the old papers to build on. There actually is a series on Lee's Lieutenants by D.S. Freeman, pretty famous. I have written several mini papers on the German car industry years ago, just because I like German cars. Surely you have an interest in some topic long term. I like to watch metal rust (but don't like to watch paint dry), so corrosion protection techniques could be suitable for an engineer, I suppose. Just FYI, I think of this as recycling and improving your mental assets. And yes, I have several degrees and wish I had done more of the above.

Rustoleum paint job - cost/benefit versus looks and quality.

The big Orange Charger could take up at least half a page, maybe a full one in Landscape.

Why car leasing is such a bad financial idea for the average driver.

Are traffic cameras used to increase citizen safety or government revenue?

Does a citizen have an expectation of privacy when in a public area, such as on a public street?

Youre an ME student?

I like the idea above about oil specs and globalization... But I think for ME, I'd go along the basis of lower viscosity oils and how there is a cross of CAFE versus protection and how tribological and fluid mechanical analysis crossed with real testing regimes validated lower-viscosity oils for modern engines though the clearances have not changed.

Ill bet you can cite a bunch of API papers for 20wt oils and the push towards using 5w-30 in HD diesels.

It gets you some mechanical stuff, some fluid dynamics, some lubrication, etc. An ME's dream.

The other one that I think would be interesting is the discovery and implementation of the Li-ion battery and how the field is changing to implement electric cars. A bit more electrochemical in nature but interesting from an automotive point of view.

Good luck!

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
I'll suggest "Mobil 1 and High Iron Wear; A Study of Mass Hysteria in the Lubrication Industry"

It would be kind of neat for him to go through all the UOAs and try to do a statistical analysis on some of that.

I'd go for the basics. Something anybody could read, understand, and get something out of it. That way, whatever the professor's background is, it will work for him.

You like hybrids? How about a paper on what hybrids are, the various systems in use, the benefits / limitations / costs / etc. of each system. I'm not an expert, but I imagine every manufacturer has their version of "hybrid drive", they can't all be exactly the same. If you need to fill out the paper, add a discussion on pure electric vehicles.

Don't forget the history aspect of hybrids, they've been around for a lot longer than you think. I did a paper for a junior college on hybrids in... 1979. I got an "A" on it.
smile.gif
I seem to remember focusing on a smaller gas enging running at peak efficiency. I may have missed the mark technically, but at least it got me to thinking about the subject.

Something for a mechanical engineer with interests in cars and lubricants?

An easy topic/hypothesis to defend would by the obsolescence of the 3K oil change promoted by fast lube facilities.

You could discuss the improvements vs. 40 years ago (carburated engines/group I oils):

Fluids - improvements of engine oil, its chemistry, base oil, additives, properties, etc..

Mechanical - improvements in engines: design, metallurgy, fuel injection (vs. carb.), etc..

Electronics/computers - combustion control, Oil life monitors, etc..

I'd love to see a basic, simple to understand study on the limitations of electrochemical energy (batteries) as it applies to electric and hybrid vehicles. Covering all the basics, such as current production battery energy density, future projected energy density and theoretical limits. Depth of discharge limitations and so on. Including practical limitations of charging current/voltage/time.

My understanding is that electrochemical energy will never achieve practical equivalence with petroleum. In other words, it will be forever impossible to propel a Boeing 747 with batteries and have similar performance.

Apartment dwellers, for example won't soon have the option to plug in and charge, for a variety of logistical reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back