Cruze and MMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like my Cruze likes MMO! The fuel pump is quieter, the engine is just a little peppier in the low RPM's it's usually driven at, and the fuel economy just might be creeping up a touch The last tank was 2 mpg better than the previous tank. Not sure if it was the pump or not. Time will tell. MMO + premium gas is a winner so far just for shutting the fuel pump up! I dose at 2-3 ounces per 10 gallons.

Have you heard of the "Butt-Dyno" effect?
lol.gif

How many miles do you have on your Cruze? Seems a little early to start having to add additives. But hey if it's working for you that's all that matters.

It can't be, the noise is in your head, the mpg is the engine breaking in, you added wrong, drove down hill, or cheated. Stop using MMO at once it will ruin your engine!

I just thought I'd have some good ole fashioned fun! You're seeing a benefit from it, in the end that's all that really matters.

sciphi.....are you using 'premium' gas in that Cruze? Is that what the manufacture calls for?

If you are....IMHO...thats just overkill....and a waste of $$$...when 'regular' will do.

Glad your seeing the benifits of MMO. I've been using it for a year now in my Focus...and I see the same benifits as you do.

I use seagfoam in my tanks and have always had good luck with keeping the fuel system clean..never a bad idea to keep the injectors and lines clean and water free.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
sciphi.....are you using 'premium' gas in that Cruze? Is that what the manufacture calls for?

If you are....IMHO...thats just overkill....and a waste of $$$...when 'regular' will do.

Glad your seeing the benifits of MMO. I've been using it for a year now in my Focus...and I see the same benifits as you do.

Being a small, hard-working turbocharged engine, it is indeed running premium. Regular "will do", and is what's stated as the minimum octane in the manual. I've noticed a power/MPG increase on premium. Gas mileage went from 41-42 on regular to 44-45 mpg on premium. It also accelerates faster uphill. Financially it's a wash since the added MPG cancels out the additional $2/tank.

The car has 2600 miles on it currently. I figure with the MMO this early it just might keep everything nice and clean.

Originally Posted By: sciphi

Being a small, hard-working turbocharged engine, it is indeed running premium. Regular "will do", and is what's stated as the minimum octane in the manual. I've noticed a power/MPG increase on premium. Gas mileage went from 41-42 on regular to 44-45 mpg on premium. It also accelerates faster uphill. Financially it's a wash since the added MPG cancels out the additional $2/tank.

The car has 2600 miles on it currently. I figure with the MMO this early it just might keep everything nice and clean.

IMO....pure plecebo! You either need prenium...or you don't. Possibly the MMO will increase your mileage....but not the preminum gasoline.

IMO....pure plecebo! You either need prenium...or you don't. Possibly the MMO will increase your mileage....but not the preminum gasoline.

Not according to my gas mileage log. Fuel economy went up consistently, and stayed up consistently with premium over regular. No changes in driving style, and the same commute were used.

It's not just me, it's other turbo Cruze owners reporting the same thing too.

You are misinformed. Many cars that run "fine" on regular will benefit from higher octane fuels. This is especially true of turbocharged engines where the ECM can regulate both timing advance and boost pressure in response to knock or the lackthereof. It is entirely possible, perhaps probable, that the Cruze's turbo engine is one of these. I seem to recall someone posting a link to an Edmunds or Car Connection long term test report where they investigated this on the Cruze and found a benefit.

jeff

Originally Posted By: greenjp

You are misinformed. Many cars that run "fine" on regular will benefit from higher octane fuels. This is especially true of turbocharged engines where the ECM can regulate both timing advance and boost pressure in response to knock or the lackthereof. It is entirely possible, perhaps probable, that the Cruze's turbo engine is one of these. I seem to recall someone posting a link to an Edmunds or Car Connection long term test report where they investigated this on the Cruze and found a benefit.

jeff

This is where looking at knock counts and/or timing advance can be invaluable. I have no doubts that this engine will probably benefit from using premium. Of course GM is not going to spec premium for an entry-level compact car because the target demographic would likely be repulsed by the notion. Many high-power sports cars "can" run on regular and their owners manuals mention this with the caveat that a loss of power and economy may result.

Can you monitor your timing advance and/or boost on that vehicle? That will tell you for sure if your guesses are right or not. I thought you had purchased scangauge/ultragauge in the past.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Can you monitor your timing advance and/or boost on that vehicle? That will tell you for sure if your guesses are right or not. I thought you had purchased scangauge/ultragauge in the past.

Yes, I do have my ScanGauge II hooked up. Timing and boost are two of the gauges currently displayed, along with gallons/hour and average fuel economy. I saw a maximum of 10 PSI of boost on regular, and 14 PSI on premium. The car also goes into deceleration fuel cutoff more readily, as witnessed by the timing retarding itself to -7 to -10 degrees and the gallons/hour dropping to 0.00. I thought the car didn't have a DFCO when it was running on regular since it did not do that.

Not according to my gas mileage log. Fuel economy went up consistently, and stayed up consistently with premium over regular. No changes in driving style, and the same commute were used.

It's not just me, it's other turbo Cruze owners reporting the same thing too.

Whats the compression ratio on that motor? jk

Man, this thread digressed pretty quickly.

Google says the CR = 9.5:1

From what I've read, stock boost is at around 1 bar, which is consistent with what you've been seeing. I've also seen that the 'eco' version that you own gets better gas mileage and was curious why. On Chevy's page, it says that you have a higher gear ratio than any of the other turbo trims - interesting.

If you were only boosting (consistently) to 10 psig on regular octane, then your ECM was most definitely limiting boost and timing. On my Subie, a drop in what's called the Dynamic Advance Multiplier will also cause a drop in target boost. So, first timing is pulled, and if enough is pulled, the DAM is lowered, which will effect boost levels.

Not only does using a lower-than-optimal fuel octane lower mileage, but also performance, which is what you've noted. A good way to (pretty) easily check this would be to go WOT on a decent inline, so that you take a good amount of time to get to redline in, say, third gear. Mark what your timing does during t his time. Fillup with regular and do the same thing. I bet you'll notice a very significant change, especially while cold when you might be prone to over-boosting targets slightly.

To end my too-long post, the MMO isn't quieting your fuel pump, IMHO.

GM's not going to say that the car will only take premium since that'll drive away tons of buyers. I bet they did their homework and made the low-octane tables robust enough where engine longevity is just fine, at the expense of performance and fuel economy. From what I've heard they programmed the PCM to watch the knock sensors like a hawk to make sure it'll run on regular. The supercharged 3800's are well-known to be very sensitive to any amount of knock, and are aggressively programmed to eliminate the knock. I have no reason to doubt that this turbo Ecotec is any different in how hard it's scanning for knock.

The first 3 gears on this transmission are quite short, while the last 3 are quite tall. 6th spins the engine at ~1800 RPM at 60 mph, and at 2000 RPM at 65 mph. The better gas mileage isn't a joke, as I'm getting Civic Hybrid fuel economy. Driving like a hoon it'll get 38-40 mpg, and driving conservatively it'll get 48 mpg on the same route.

The pump was quieter on my last car with MMO in the tank, and it's notably quieter with MMO in the tank than not in the tank. Considering it's right under the rear seat in the Cruze, and I let it prime before firing up, the MMO just might be doing something there.

Wow! You are getting nearly double the MPG that I am with my Cruze.
My DIC says I'm getting 29 mpg but my calculator tells me it's closer to 25.
My Cruze is a very nice car but the mpg's haven't impressed me so-far.

Ive found that adds do quiet fuel pumps, but I wouldnt say so with MPGs necessarily. Too much MMO can kill MPG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back