Costco Gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Costco just started advertising their new additive in there gas having x5 the additives then EPA requires. How ever it aint rated Top Tier. Does anybody know how good is the new updated Costco gas?

Originally Posted By: bigdawg74
Costco gas is just as good as any other brand of gas and is consistently .07 to .10 cents cheaper. Use with confidence.

Agreed, its discount gas, but the same as any top tier product. Do you think whoever is supplying the fuel wants Costco to start advertising their gas is top tier?

Exactly, they are a "wholesale club" passing along a commodity at a price lower than retail competition. What do they have to prove? Why would they want to assume the overhead cost of being "top tier" ?

Costco gas is just as good as any other brand of gas and is consistently .07 to .10 cents cheaper. Use with confidence.

At least where I live, I've tried running Costco gas, and consistently get less miles per tank. I've done this several times and usually get about 20 miles per tank. Is it something with the costco gas? I really don't have anything scientific to show, however I always fill with Shell or Citgo (depending on if I am filling up at home, or at work) and started using the Costco fuel, and my tank miles went down
frown.gif
I won't use it anymore. Could be just me, but I've posted about it in the past and have had some other similar complaints.

Originally Posted By: Boomer
It is probably cheaper because they are not paying to use and be listed on the Top Tier site!

Huh? You have to pay to be listed? If I recall correctly, aren't the auto makers the ones who decided how to determine if a fuel is deemed top tier?

Originally Posted By: TedSexington
Costco just started advertising their new additive in there gas having x5 the additives then EPA requires. How ever it aint rated Top Tier. Does anybody know how good is the new updated Costco gas?

Costco Gasoline with Kirkland Signature Clean Power (man, that's a long name) is currently only available in WA, OR, UT, ID, MT and AK. Maybe we should hear from someone in those states as to how much better the new formula is.

It's actually a little more expensive than Arco gas in my area. And if I pay cash, I can get Shell gas cheaper than Costco (even more so with the use of a SaveMart Rewards Card). Plus, Vons offers discount pricing for their members which makes it cheaper as well.

Originally Posted By: JavierG
It's actually a little more expensive than Arco gas in my area. And if I pay cash, I can get Shell gas cheaper than Costco (even more so with the use of a SaveMart Rewards Card). Plus, Vons offers discount pricing for their members which makes it cheaper as well.

happy2.gif

Originally Posted By: JavierG
Originally Posted By: Boomer
It is probably cheaper because they are not paying to use and be listed on the Top Tier site!

Huh? You have to pay to be listed? If I recall correctly, aren't the auto makers the ones who decided how to determine if a fuel is deemed top tier?

You have to pay for the testing.

Originally Posted By: moto94536
I use about 1292 gallons of gas a year. I enjoy paying $129 more at chevron gas top tier.

And what exactly do you get for your 129 Bucks?

2006 Toyota Camry V6. Always use Chevron 87. Everything looking great. 233,000 miles. take note.

Originally Posted By: moto94536

2006 Toyota Camry V6. Always use Chevron 87. Everything looking great. 233,000 miles. take note.

Take note? Of what?

Have you compared/tried other fuels, and or, other fueling strategies?

What have your results been?

Thanks, Jim

Originally Posted By: TedSexington

TedSexington,

Down here in my hood Costco hasn't advertised anything like that so if that's what they say then it's OK with me. Sometimes I had wondered where the gas comes from but since we pay so much for gas here as long as it works I don' make a big deal about it. Many people that have used it sware by this gas as they never had any issues with it including myself. If for some reason I feel different about it I just buy a bottle of Techron or Gumout and toss it in the tank.

If it has 5X the additives then too me it sounds like Shell gasoiline to me.

Durango

Last edited:
Kirkland feat Lubrizol

Only at selected states
Alaska
Arizona
Florida
Idaho
Illinois
Michigan
Montana
New Jersey
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Utah
Virginia
Washington

This new additive is still being implemented at each gas stations. It'll be nice if there is comparison with top tier gas in term of additive.
frown.gif

There was a quick comparison of detergent level from different gas station few months back done by ABC News. Hopefully they'll do something similar with costco fuel in it before and after the kirkland addpack.

Last edited:
So the additive is being blended in at the pump? Murphy (Walmart) always gives an option to buy an additive when you buy gas there so I guess Costco will use the same method. I wonder if they will charge extra like Muprhy does?

I have never noticed a difference in mpg or performance from Costco, Sams Club or Murphy Gas when compared to any name brand.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back