Quick question on Hemi Oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a '11 Ram 1500 5.7l. Just wondering about the owners manual and oil selection. It says use 5w20 on the 1500 5.7 and 5w30 on 2500/3500 5.7 models. Is there a difference in the engine? or are they specing the 30w oil anticipating higher engine loads and things of that nature and looking for more
protection?

35.gif

Great question, as this topic interests me.

That is a very good question. I know with Ford, for example, they recommend 5w-20 on their F-150, 250, 350, etc (assuming non-Ecoboost and non-diesel) for all their v6 and v8 motors.

I think the traditional thinking is that the MDS on the Hemi preferred 5W-20 oil. Do the 2500/3500 series Hemi engines have MDS? If so, I guess that would rule that out.

The newer 'eagle' hemis with variable cam timing love lighter oils, but they are not very picky about oil weight.

Just as the older 5.7 ran well on almost any weight without damage, so will the newer ones. The MDS is only very slightly changed, not damaged at all.

I would run a fine 0w-30 synth if I was trailering or something harder and the 20w would be fine for anything normal.

Great question. I hope somebody gets to the bottom of this, could make the thick /thin discussion real interesting if these engines are identical.

I'm not sure if the 3/4 and 1ton trucks have MDS. I am going to change my to Ams 0w20 at 1,000 miles and go from there. I do pull a boat in the summer and was just going to keep the 0w20 in t all the time, but now this has me curious as to wether or not 0w30 would be a better option?

Better off with ATM in the summmer. Dont need a big vi in the summer. Again that big vi number doesnt come for free and can impact summer performance.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Better off with ATM in the summmer. Dont need a big vi in the summer. Again that big vi number doesnt come for free and can impact summer performance.

Even though it says use only 5w20?? There is some sort of warning that using anything else can cause problems with the MDS.

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
Even though it says use only 5w20?? There is some sort of warning that using anything else can cause problems with the MDS.

This is baloney! I have been a new gen hemi owner since August 05 and have had two different mds equipped 5.7's in my stable. Plus I mod at one of the biggest 300 forums on the net with thousands of mds owners.

It is not harmed in any way by heavier oils. Even 20w-50 for years. It simply changes the mds characteristics and activation parameters.

Altered a bit but never harmed. Run whatever grade you want, but don't let anyone kid you. It's a big old loose american v8 with some fancy tech in the valvetrain.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: Johnny248

This is baloney! I have been a new gen hemi owner since August 05 and have had two different mds equipped 5.7's in my stable. Plus I mod at one of the biggest 300 forums on the net with thousands of mds owners.

It is not harmed in any way by heavier oils. Even 20w-50 for years. It simply changes the mds characteristics and activation parameters.

Altered a bit but never harmed. Run whatever grade you want, but don't let anyone kid you. It's a big old loose american v8 with some fancy tech in the valvetrain.

Well, at least for the winter I am going to run the 0w20 (because it calls for 20w, and also because I have a case of it in my garage) lol and prob due a UOA in the spring, and then I might switch to the 0w30 in the summer since I also have it on the shelf.

Steve, what are you running in your 300?

I have the 6.1 with no mds.

Factory spec (right on the oil cap) is M1 0w-40. There is also a tsb for 15w-50 for certain engines with oil squirter noise. Also note this car specs a 3k mile change interval!

I am currently running Syntec 5w-50 and Amsoil Filter.

You have a 2011. This is a NO BRAINER! Run what the mfg spec's for it, during your warranty period, end of story. Why do people always have to alter what the mfg says to run? I don't get it?

The 1500's are the only Ram trucks with MDS. The Heavy Duty Rams and the Power Wagons do not have MDS. Never have.

MDS works off oil pressure. For it to operate properly, as the mfg intended, with all due respect to the naysayers, run 20 weight oil. That is what it was designed to run on. If MDS is disabled or you have a PW or HD you can run 30 weight.

For a 2011 Ram 1500 with the 5.7L you should run a 20 weight period.

I was in the dealer with an issue and the first thing they asked me was I running 5W-20W as Jeep recommends it for the MDS.

Going from dino to syn my MDS operated much smoother.

To avoid warranty work drama I am sticking with the recommended weight even though I tow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back