IL trafffic tickets: court supervision

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know we have a few folks from IL here. I was wondering what your experience was with ensuring that a moving violation does not affect your insurance rates.

I got a ticket recently for improper left turn (my own stupidity!). Since this is my first ticket in a very long time, I am eligible for court supervision. If I understand it correctly, if I pay the fine and don't get another ticket during the following 90 days, the conviction is dismissed and no points are assessed on my license; therefore, no insurance rate hikes.

But am I also required to do the silly traffic school? Some websites seem to think so and some of my friends do, too. However, when I called the circuit court, they said no, although their lawyer speak was somewhat confusing to me. Anyone know for sure?

This is DuPage county, if that matters.

http://www.criminallawyerillinois.com/20...ts-in-illinois/

Thanks!

I would just get a good traffic attorney/lawyer to defend you. They will get the charge "dismissed" and no charges will be on your record at all.....though you will have to pay court fees....gotta outweigh the pros and cons; a) pay the fine, and accept you did wrong, or b) take it to court, hire an attorney, and pay court costs, PLUS lawyer fees, BUT the chance they will dismiss the charge(s), and you're off scott-free...

Call around for "free consultations" - and get this thread deleted from BITOG, since you've admitted guilt.....

Check locally for something like "The Ticket Clinic" or something, who specialize (locally anyways) in DUI, traffic stops, etc....

Last edited:
Hmmmm.....in NY we always go to court and if first offense the officer drops the ticket to something like not following posted road signs (no points). Also if the officer is a no-show then its dismissed.

Also insurance companies to not check your record every year, it costs money to do that and they check if there is reason.

Some states allow something like a "Traffic Law Center" to intervene (Missouri does) but I'm not sure that Illinois does.

I try to avoid Illinois and not because of the fear of traffic citations. Bunch of commies in Chicago trying to run the rest of the state.

To the OP - good luck with that and I mean it with all sincereity.

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled program.

Originally Posted By: ahoier
I would just get a good traffic attorney/lawyer to defend you. They will get the charge "dismissed" and no charges will be on your record at all.....though you will have to pay court fees....

Thanks. If I can get away with court supervision just by paying the fine, I'm OK with that. Otherwise, DuPage has outrageous court fees (about $300) plus lawyer fees.

I've never had my insurance rates go up because of something like that. They don't know or care as long as it doesn't involve a collision.

I've always taken the supervision, didn't even have to show up in court. Traffic school is typically not required.

I live in DuPage County also and have been given court supervision a couple times; never once had to do traffic school.

After almost 40 years of (mostly) incident free driving,and almost a million miles logged, if a court jester even SUGGESTED I had to go to traffic school - well, I dont know what I would do! Too many traffic lights now up here in the woods - there must be some lucrative contract for some big construction company with a strong arm on the selectmen and congressmen. I choose to ignore "left turn on red arrow prohibited" and traffic lights not set to blinking yellow/red on the weekends with little or no traffic. I aint no sheeple.

Traffic school was not required 10 yeras ago. No increase in insurance either. Wrecks are a differant thing.

Plead guilty and request supervision. As for driving school request to take it ONLINE. It will take 4 hours however you can do it at your own leisure over the span of 2 months. I just muted the sound and clicked next when prompted. What a joke!

Originally Posted By: dja4260
As for driving school request to take it ONLINE.

How did you know that you had to do the traffic school? In my case, I don't think it's even required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back