Red Line SI-1 - Proper Dosage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I purchased my vehicle new in 2005, I have changed my oil between 5k - 7.5k miles, then on the very next fill-up to the oil change, have dumped an entire bottle of either Red Line SI-1 fuel injector cleaner or MMO in the tank. Since discovering BITOG, I now have some questions/concerns:

1) Would such a fuel additive really have any effect on the engine oil?

2) Would such an additive effect a UOA report?

3) When should such additives be used (i.e. prior to oil change, or following oil change)?

4)At what frequency, and at what dosage should such additives be used?

Thanks in advance!

I really think you can get carried away with fuel additives. RedLine and and Techron are good products when used every OCI or at 5k intervals at most. SI-1 is a more powerful product. I have used it before UOA and not seen any sign of anything that shouldn't be there. 1 bottle to an 18-20 gallon tank. Directions should be on the bottle. If you have been dumping a whole bottle of MMO in your tank holy [censored]! 4oz to 10 gal. of gas. I hope you weren't using the gallon jug! The directions are on the bottle. You have the right idea about using it BEFORE you change the oil as any carbon insols. can be dumped with the oil change. If you have been overdosing you can really mess up your spark plugs. Besides reading the directions you seem to have a good routine.

Redline is better used every fill in fact it is designed to be used that way, the bottle is marked on the side its a very small amount.
Running a very small dose like this keeps the injectors and chambers clean all the time instead of letting them get dirty then mega dosing trying to clean them.
Such small doses should have no negative on the oil whatsoever.

Edit: Seeing as you have owned this car since o5 run a full bottle just before your OCI then run the recommended amount in every tank. IIRC a bottle treats 200 gal.

Last edited:
RedLine Si-1 has changed, the new product is labeled for running the whole bottle per tank. The older stuff used to be more concentrated. I don't know what kind you have.

spoke with dave at red line.the concentration has not changed the label has..he recommends using a full bottle then after that use 1 oz every 10gals fill up thereafter..i use 1 oz every trip to station he said thats what he recommends..

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
spoke with dave at red line.the concentration has not changed the label has..he recommends using a full bottle then after that use 1 oz every 10gals fill up thereafter..i use 1 oz every trip to station he said thats what he recommends..

That settles it.

Thanks BoxCar

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
don't sound like a bad idea. In fact, I'm a fan of the "shock treatment" then simple maintenance doses from there-on out....

But yes, using the "whole bottle" is certainly much easier
smile.gif
No need to break out the graduated cylinder, face shield, and protective gloves at the pump! LOL.....j/k
smile.gif

Dave told me the same thing, via email. Only he suggested 1.5 ounces/10 gallons of fuel. LOL

I use a combination of RL Sl-1 and MMO in my Ford Focus...

1.5 oz of RL Sl-1....and 3 oz. of MMO....per 10 gallon fill-up.

Lubricates fuel pump...cleans entire fuel system....and for me...gets an extra 1.5 to 2 mpg. My engine with 100k on the OD....is as strong as it was when new.

You guys are very patient in adding small amount of additives at each fill up, I don't have that patient.

I added Red-Line SI-1 or Chevron Techron about a month before smog check which is every other year. The reason was my LS400 barely passed smog check about 8-10 years ago, I added a bottle Red-Line SI-1 to the gas tank a month before the next smog check and it passed with very wide margin.

I have been doing SI-1 maintenance dose 1.5 oz per 10 gals. for two years now every fill-up. I also run a 4 oz maintenance dose per 10 gals of MMO every other fill-up. This is the best combination for me. MMO every fill up didn't work for me. The trucks ran worse. I do not get any better mileage with or without. I do this for both my Lincoln Navigator and Mark LT. They both run really great doing this.

i was told today that mom is not to be used in the newer engines!!also, red line 2 stroke oil will burn clean in a gas engine.i will find out why mom cannot be used in newer engines.i heard this before.

Last edited:
Hi Tommy- First off I am not doubting you, I'd like to know where the info came from. Reason being I have a doubting buddy who sees MMO in my garage when he visits and borrows tools, and he asked about it. He bought a new ride and asked if he could use it in the gas like I do. Rather than beat my head into the wall I told him to contact Turtle Wax himself. He was told MMO can be used in new cars from day one if he wanted to. If it is harmful to new engines or emissions systems they'll have one heck of a lawsuit on their hands.

Thanks guys...

Yes, I had been using the treatment immediately following an oil change, but I think I am now going to use a complete bottle of Redline SI-1 to a 17.1 gallon tank once every 10k miles irrespective of OCI... I don't think that any measurable amount should really make it into the oil. I generally use BP 93 octane which should have sufficient detergent for FI cleaning, so use of the Redline SI-1 more frequently than 10k is probably overkill.

My concern was that most threads I read referred only to maintenance dosages, leading me to believe that I was overdoing it with a full bottle, but I understand that its a matter of preferance. I honestly dont have the time and patience to measure out a dosage at every fill-up (I usually fillup on my way to work where I'm already running late! lol!)

FYI - I recently changed my irridium plugs out at 100k miles, and they did not show any indication of having been fouled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back