Clutch noise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2002 Toyota pick up's clutch(194400km) started to make a rattling sort of noise a few weeks ago when the clutch is engaged(foot off pedal) at idling and low rpm (below 2000rpm).
It seems to be getting worse and can be heard while driving at slow speeds below 2000rpm.
The clutch works fine, I tried spraying penetrating oil and also copper grease on the fork as best as could but that made no difference.
The noise goes away once the pedal is pressed down about half way.
Is this serious or can I continue to drive it like this?

Last edited:
It could be the release (throwout) bearing going. Another possibility is the input shaft bearing.

Since it goes away when you put slight pressure on the release bearing, that's the direction I'd head.

The noise will continue to get worse and eventually the bearing will fail completely.

Sure it's the clutch? What kind of lube does your tranny take, ATF? There were some trannies with ATF (think particularly Dodge, and back many years ago when ATF was first specified) that had gear rattle from the thin fluid. This was more apparent I believe at low speeds. It's possible that with wear you are beginning to experience gear rattle? A thicker lube would likely cure it. Now, I could be totally wrong, this is just thrown out for consideration. It could be many other things.

sounds like trannie shaft bearing noise? (based on OP's description). It could be on the input shaft side, or intermediate shaft side, who knows?

If the trannie has missed any maintenance schedules in the past (lubricant change) or has suffered from shocks before, this bearing(s) will go bad.

Q.

The TOB makes noise when the clutch is pushed down and stops when released, which is not the case here. It could be a pilot bearing.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
The TOB makes noise when the clutch is pushed down and stops when released, which is not the case here.

Not necessarily. I had the exact same situation and it was the TOB. I could play a "tune" on the truck with the clutch pedal.

Quote:
It could be a pilot bearing.

If the clutch is engaged (out) then the engine and input shaft are running at the same speed. The bearing isn't rotating relative to each side so there shouldn't be any noise.

Originally Posted By: AandPDan
The TOB makes noise when the clutch is pushed down and stops when released, which is not the case here.

Not necessarily. I had the exact same situation and it was the TOB. I could play a "tune" on the truck with the clutch pedal.

I never heard a TOB make noise when your foot was off the clutch pedal. The TOB starts working when the clutch is depressed, even slightly depressed. I had one go and I was able to play a tune like you've mentioned by applying any kind of pressure to the clutch pedal, no pressure on the pedal and I had no noise. But then again I try and learn something new every day!
smile.gif

I've seen the rollers break off inside the pilot bearing and there was noise coming from the transmission area. IIRC the noise was constant, I think, I'm straining to remember.

I never heard a TOB make noise when your foot was off the clutch pedal. The TOB starts working when the clutch is depressed, even slightly depressed. I had one go and I was able to play a tune like you've mentioned by applying any kind of pressure to the clutch pedal, no pressure on the pedal and I had no noise. But then again I try and learn something new every day!
smile.gif

I've seen the rollers break off inside the pilot bearing and there was noise coming from the transmission area. IIRC the noise was constant, I think, I'm straining to remember.

Yup, this is how my Mustang's was when it went. Noisy when your foot was off the pedal. You put any pressure on it, and it was quiet.

That's the throwout bearing, and it was like 12 bucks. However, if you aren't doing it yourself, it may be expensive to have changed.

Originally Posted By: shpankey
I'm having the exact issue. I'm a little confused now though. So which one is most likely and is it expensive to fix?

The pilot bearing doesn't go that often, TOB usually goes bad. Honestly if you plan on dropping the tranny DO BOTH bearings!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Yup, this is how my Mustang's was when it went. Noisy when your foot was off the pedal. You put any pressure on it, and it was quiet.

Now I'm confused, which bearing was bad in your Mustang? My TOB only sung when I put pressure on the pedal.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Now I'm confused, which bearing was bad in your Mustang? My TOB only sung when I put pressure on the pedal.

The TOB went bad on the Mustang. Would "rattle" with no pressure on the pedal.

I replaced both when I was in there. The TOB is the easy one. Pilot.... Not so much.

I used a bearing puller for the pilot bearing, they can be a PITA to get out. Mine TOB sung when the slightest amount of pressure was applied to the clutch pedal. I did a clutch job for a friend, he had what sounded like a "roll over" rubbing, grinding, sort of noise, hard to explain. It was coming from the rear of the engine bell housing area, and he had some clutch slip issues so it was time. His pilot bearing [roller bearings] spilled out when we pulled the transmission, it was shot. Needless to say the noise stopped when we replaced the bearing and all clutch parts.

GTO52,

I'm positive it's the TOB.

If you are doing this yourself, just change the bearing and be done, but if you aren't doing the labor yourself, change the clutch assembly as well (and the pilot bearing).

With the mileage you've got, you may as well.

GTO52,

I'm positive it's the TOB.

If you are doing this yourself, just change the bearing and be done, but if you aren't doing the labor yourself, change the clutch assembly as well (and the pilot bearing).

With the mileage you've got, you may as well.

I am a DIY sort of guy but when comes to removing the transmission and clutch I would rather take it to a professional.
With the mileage the vehicle has done it would probably be a good idea to change the clutch anyway.

I'm having to put in a Clutch Kit and replace the tranmission's Input Shaft Bearing on the old Civic. Not fun driving it right now.
cry.gif

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Sure it's the clutch? What kind of lube does your tranny take, ATF? There were some trannies with ATF (think particularly Dodge, and back many years ago when ATF was first specified) that had gear rattle from the thin fluid. This was more apparent I believe at low speeds. It's possible that with wear you are beginning to experience gear rattle? A thicker lube would likely cure it. Now, I could be totally wrong, this is just thrown out for consideration. It could be many other things.

Very true. thicker lubes attenuate gear 'rollover'.
But a TB is most likely here.

I got 2 professional opinions today, both said its the input shaft bearing, the guy that's going to the job is actually guru on Toyota pickups and has done quite a few of these transmissions with exactly the same problem but usually ones with a higher mileage than mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back