Meguiar's Gold Class vs Ultimate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys,

I just waxed my cars for the first time in a long time use an old bottle of Meguiar's Gold Class Liquid Wax that I had around the house. Wow. Amazing results, just like I remembered. However, I did 3 cars and the bottle is getting low. I was looking at the Meguiar's website and see a new product called Ultimate Liquid Wax, but it appears they still sell their Gold Class (which was the top of the line when I bought it years ago).

Can anyone tell me if there is a measurable difference between the two? I haven't been to the store to price them but I assume the Ultimate is more expensive. Worth it? Anyone out there compared the two?

Also, is the spray wax (Ultimate or otherwise) worth using? I've seen some threads on it and it seems to review favorably. Waxing is a bit of work and if the spray wax works well that might be a good option. That leads me to another question: I suppose it wouldn't hurt to use the Ultimate spray on top of a car that has had the Golf Class liquid recently used on it, would it?

Thanks in advance!
DT

I have just gotten a bottle of Ultimate 3months ago and tried it out. I've also used Gold Class in years past.

I can tell you that the Ultimate goes on and comes off VERY easy...even easier then the NXT and much better thab GC. It creates the same level of gloss and shine as Gold Class, but easier. The only downside is that it, like other Meqguier's products, does not last very long. If you use their quick wax detailer when you wash the car you will greatly extend your wax life. I saw beading diminish in just 3 weeks and used the quick wax to "boost" my protection until I can do another detail and go back to my Groit's Garage products which shine as well or better and last longer.

AS for an over the counter wax, I would recommend the Ultimate for its gloss and ease of use...but use a quick wax detailer to maintain the protection.

To answer your other questions...yes Meguire's Quick wax detailer spray works VERY well and can be used in sunlight. They also make good spray detailers w/o wax. You can use them on top of any brand wax/sealant.

Tried all the Meguiars waxes and still like the Gold Class as my favorite, I wax monthly and use the Quik detailer after every wash
thumbsup2.gif

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
Gold Class looks great, and doesn't last that long.

Now their Gold Class carwash, that's excellent stuff. It's a great carwash soap that does a great job of sliding the dirt off the paint without scratching.

Originally Posted By: sciphi

Now their Gold Class carwash, that's excellent stuff. It's a great carwash soap that does a great job of sliding the dirt off the paint without scratching.

X2
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: sciphi

Yep!

Megs Ultimate Quik Wax is outstanding,and is pretty durable. I have found Gold Class to have pathetic durability in the past. It has nowhere to go but up.

I really like NXT 2.0. It looks great on red and white. I continue to be disappointed in the durability. It just doesn't last. I got one bottle for free one Christmas in a kit,and I bought another of the kits for way less than just the bottle of NXT would've cost. I can't really complain considering the price,but I was hoping for better results.

Originally Posted By: Racerjk
Megs Ultimate Quik Wax is outstanding,and is pretty durable. I have found Gold Class to have pathetic durability in the past. It has nowhere to go but up.

I really like NXT 2.0. It looks great on red and white. I continue to be disappointed in the durability. It just doesn't last. I got one bottle for free one Christmas in a kit,and I bought another of the kits for way less than just the bottle of NXT would've cost. I can't really complain considering the price,but I was hoping for better results.

Agreed. None of the newer Meguire's waxes/sealants are very long lasting. I guess that is the trade off for their ease of use and relatively good gloss and shine. The old tried and true products like #26 yellow wax and #20 Polymer sealant are still, even today, top performers and last a decent amoount of time.

I was impressed by the Quick Wax spray, it shined and felt slick afterwards and lasted a good week or two and that combined with the Ultimate or NXT would extend their protection.

Last edited:
Who cares how good it looks if it does not last. I dont have time to wax every month. we have winter here in MN as well when you cant wax.

Originally Posted By: kgpcr
Who cares how good it looks if it does not last. I dont have time to wax every month. we have winter here in MN as well when you cant wax.

The same can be true about physical limitations as well. My shoulders have enough problems.

However, I used to do auto shows and looks are important for those situations.

Originally Posted By: kgpcr

Which is the reason I prefer Duragloss, Klasse, and Zaino products over anything Mequiar's makes. They all last longer.

I never liked Gold Class it has abrasives in it and is more a cleaner wax. Most people won't believe me when I say there's abrasives but just do what I call the CD test. Take two CD's and place a drop of whatever wax you're testing and rub it in between, you'll feel if it's gritty and you'll see the scratches it leaves behind.

It'll also give you an idea of the particle size of the abrasives as I've noticed Meguiars new stuff like their D151 or M105 definitely has much finer abrasives in it. Forget Gold Class or Ultimate. D151 is pretty much the best one step polish/wax which is what most people go for and durability is a slight bit better than NXT, GC or Ultimate. D151 is really a commercial product meant for high volume detail shops but it's the best stuff I've ever used. And it applies pretty decently with just a cheapo 6" random orbit with a foam bonnet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: qwertydude
I never liked Gold Class it has abrasives in it and is more a cleaner wax. Most people won't believe me when I say there's abrasives but just do what I call the CD test. Take two CD's and place a drop of whatever wax you're testing and rub it in between, you'll feel if it's gritty and you'll see the scratches it leaves behind.

You're absolutely right. I wouldn't have believed that it had any abrasives/polish component to it, but I saw it myself on their own website.

I used Gold Class for years and swore by it. Then I tried Collinite 476s and later 845. Never looked back.

Originally Posted By: bigmike
I used Gold Class for years and swore by it. Then I tried Collinite 476s and later 845. Never looked back.
What about ease of use? I want the easiest on/off liquid wax,I can get. Elbow Tendonitis.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Originally Posted By: bigmike
What about ease of use? I want the easiest on/off liquid wax,I can get. Elbow Tendonitis.

The 845 would be the best bet of Collinite's products for easiest to apply/remove. Apply thin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back